Fall 2014 USHPA Directors Meeting Location - DC?

For issues related to CHGPA's operations and responsibilities

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Dan T

Fall 2014 USHPA Directors Meeting Location - DC?

Post by Dan T »

I have nominated the greater metropolitan Washington DC area as the location for the fall 2014 USHPA Directors meeting. All USHPA members are invited to attend these meetings, so this would give you all an opportunity to see how your USHPA membership dues are spent.

The USHPA President has asked me to obtain some specifics on possible hotels, including location and prices. The Directors meeting requires at least three conference rooms and typically arranges for a block of guest room at a price of about $99.00 per night for three or four nights. The requirement for meeting rooms generally excludes the budget hotels from consideration. There are typically something in the neighborhood of 40 pilots and guests staying at the hotel.

I'm posting this in an effort to seek suggestions from the club members on possible locations. If any of you have contacts in the hotel industry who could discuss this with us that would be ideal. My initial thought is a hotel near the south end of the blue line. That would put it close to Reagan Airport and Old Town Alexandria.

The USHPA tries to alternate meeting sites to represent both the eastern and western half of the country. The mid-Atlantic has never been represented and would likely get the nod if the appropriate hotel arrangements can be put in place. I welcome your suggestions. I need them before September 17th, the cut off date for the nominations. You can email me at wuffo1@aol.com.

Thanks,
Dan Tomlinson
Co-Director USHPA Region 9
dbodner

Re: Fall 2014 USHPA Directors Meeting Location - DC?

Post by dbodner »

I think we'll be challenged to find reasonable hotel space where you're looking.

For travel purposes, the federal government treats DC and all the immediately surrounding counties as one market. So a hotel in PG county is theoretically just as expensive as one in downtown DC. Cross the Patuxent river into Anne Arundel County (e.g. Annapolis) and the rates plummet.

Isn't flying into BWI still cheaper than the other airports? Baltimore?

Is the possibility of flying at least an unofficial factor? Hagerstown is cheap, as is Richmond (though I think the flights are more expensive). Is there something else to be gained by being near Blue Sky or Highland?

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/perdiemCalc.cfm provides the allowable hotel (and meals) rates for all around the country. We should be able to do better than these rates, but the listing should give us an idea of which areas are generally cheaper than others.
David Bodner
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Maybe consider Hunt Valley Md. as a Balt./ Washington consideration? Its 30 minutes from BWI airport. And 2 miles from Oregon Ridge....historically one of the oldest and longest flown hang gliding sites in the USA. Yes...its true. Since 1970. Yeah.....

There are several top-end hotels right there on I-83 and Shawan Road. Embassy Suites; Hunt Valley Marriott; etc. etc. Proctor and Gamble often choses Embassy Suites as their FST annual meeting location. Great rooms; atrium; meeting rooms nice and really really easy highway access to points N,E,S and W. High Rock 1.3 hours away too. Indoor pool.

Within walking distance ( and Embassy has a free shuttle ) there are excellent restaurants and sports bar type restaurants. Green Turtle; Outback; Oregon Grill; A really awesome Sushi restaurant ( forget the name ) and various others. All shuttle linked if staying at the Embassy. Also movie theatres and nice shopping mall with upscale stores.

Embassy offers shuttle to airport too I think. And...light rail links BWI to Hunt Valley Town Center...again..walking distance to shops...hotels..and other stuff. Plenty of no hassle parking everywhere too.

Just throwing it out there.

Richard Hays

FYI: Courtyard Marrriott is right there too. I used to have students from Pittsburgh stay there. They gave it good reviews.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Adding to Rich, I stayed in the Hunt Valley Inn (part of the Marriott empire?). It was very corporate, had all the amenities, and might be able to reach your price point.
David Bodner
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Thanks for the suggestion and the endorsement Rich and Dave. I got one more that was sent to me directly. I'll wait a few more days then make some phone calls and see what the hotels can do for us.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Dan
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Dulles area. Most major airlines fly there at a fairly good price. Appropriate hotels are close by at the right price point (with block negotiation.) Udar-Hazy museum is very close. No car rentals need to get to the hotels and museum.

Downtown DC is not far away as are a number of flying sites for both PG and HG (for those so inclined.)

Danny Brotto