Pulpit Saturday 6/15

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit Saturday 6/15

Post by XCanytime »

Pulpit now looks good on Saturday. Bacil
XCanytime

Re: Pulpit Saturday 6/15

Post by XCanytime »

Now the HGR fcst for Saturday is WNW @ 10 MPH. Bacil
sight

Post by sight »

Anyone else planning on going up Saturday?
-Jacob Catt-
P4 Out of Pittsburgh
mingram

Post by mingram »

Hey Jacob. Good to hear from you. The PGs are thinking the Pulpit might be too strong. Winds at 3k and 6k are stronger there. We were blown out last weekend at the Pulpit. We're looking to fly in VA for Saturday.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
sight

Post by sight »

Matt,

Thanks for the warm welcome back, it has been a bit, work had me out most of the summer last year but hopefully things are different this year.

Where in VA? Coming from Pittsburgh it is a pretty long haul.

Thanks!

Jacob
-Jacob Catt-
P4 Out of Pittsburgh
mingram

Post by mingram »

Not sure yet. Thinking about Woodstock. Hopefully there are sites closer to you to fly this weekend, because that's a long way from Pittsburgh!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Post by mingram »

Another possibility for PG is Cumberland, MD. Last weekend when the Pulpit was blown out and HGs weren't getting high. The same day a few PGs were soaring Cumberland and got 1600 ft over launch.

It's farther from DC, but might be worth it. It's much closer to Pittsburgh. The site requires signed waivers before flying and is free the first time, but requires membership after. http://chgpa.org/Waivers/waivers.html
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

mingram wrote:Another possibility for PG is Cumberland, MD. Last weekend when the Pulpit was blown out and HGs weren't getting high. The same day a few PGs were soaring Cumberland and got 1600 ft over launch.

It's farther from DC, but might be worth it. It's much closer to Pittsburgh. The site requires signed waivers before flying and is free the first time, but requires membership after. http://chgpa.org/Waivers/waivers.html
Almost correct - Zirks and Fairgrounds don't require club membership for the first flight, but the landowner of High Point requires club membership, USHPA membership, and waivers be signed before flying there. MHGA dues are $30/yr after June 1 and High Point requires a H3/P3-rating.

JR
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Pulpit is looking great for tomorrow. I plan to be there around 11:00
bustedwing2

Post by bustedwing2 »

As of 4pm today the primary lz was still all tall hay and foot tall corn.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Some PGs are planning to go to High Point near Cumberland. P3 and above required.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

It should be soarable most of the day so an out landing is a safer option. The driving range at the golf course should be easy to reach with some altitude above launch gained in the soarable conditions. I will be there by 10A. Bacil
mingram

Post by mingram »

Rest of the PGs going to Woodstock
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

ETA 2:00 PM

Charley
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

anyone thinking of Dickeys? looks like it is tending to swing southwest?

Joe
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

On the way up to the Pulpit clouds were already popping at 10A, so I knew it was going to be a good day. Got to a soarable launch at 10:45A and set up leisurely and watched the sky dry up as Dan and Daniel showed up in the next hour. We hung around watching conditions until multiple turkey vultures beckoned one of us to launch by flying back and forth 50' over the ramps w/o any effort at all. I obliged and took off at 1:30P into light conditions and got up easily. Couldn't zip up the harness so things weren't going so well there. However, plenty of lift around under a cirrus laden sky. Headed south and climbed to 3800' MSL and was tempted to go OTB but wanted some more altitude. Went back north up where Daniel had launched and was soaring near launch. I was only a few hundred feet over the trees between 16 and launch but hit something sizable that both Daniel and I ended up climbing up to 3K' over launch. I went OTB taking a line towards Broad Mountain next to 30. Didn't hit anything so I turned 90 degrees to the right and flew towards LeMasters. Found nothing and had a nice landing next to Lemar Road just outside LeMasters. Hugh stopped by on his way up but I had already secured a ride back with Charley, who was on his way. Thanks again Charley! On the way back to launch I got a call from Daniel. He had made it all the way to High Rock WITHOUT ANY CLOUDS :!: . Now that's an awesome flight. In the meantime Hugh had launched Dan, who was buzzing launch as Charley and I pulled up. That of course means that it is way soarable. Charley and I got Hugh off first, then I helped Charley off, and then I retrieved Daniel from the High Rock LZ. Hugh and Charley got up easily in the now magic conditions. Dan and Hugh ended up landing on the driving range of the golf course. Charley opted for the field across from the main LZ. Dinner followed at Tony's Pizza in Greencastle. Bacil
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Picked up Bacil on the way to the Pulpit. He had a very nice field to land in and a convenient place to pick him up. We raced back to launch to throw Hugh off. He climbed to 1000 over easily and I launched shortly after. I was pleasantly surprised with magic air and large smooth thermal. Flew south as far as I wanted and thermaled to 3,500msl, but saw Hugh carving up the sky over by launch. Flew back to him and got the best thermal of the day (thanks Hugh) and climbed to 4282 msl. Enjoyed the view and boated around in the amazing air. Flew back down the ridge and it felt like condition were shutting down. Headed out to the golf course with good altitude and Hugh followed.

Wish I would have seen Dan on the golf course, he was showing me wind direction. Instead I flew back to a little field across the road from the primary and landed there. Flew a damn crappy pattern and nearly whacked, but still ended up scraping my knee and shin. Meanwhile Dan and Hugh were having drinks and cigars (not really) over at the golf course. I had checked it out the weekend before so I knew what to expect. I was freaked about landing at the golf course for fear of having too many people land there and ruining a good thing. Next time if it does not look busy I will definite give it another shot. Overall a great day with everyone having enjoyable flights. Thanks again Bacil for the help and encouragement.
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Dunegoon wrote: Wish I would have seen Dan on the golf course, he was showing me wind direction.
A good example of how radios are vital in communicating important info during the critical phase of LZ selection for an out landing. Bacil
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

I helped Bacil and Daniel off around 1:30 and with no one else up there I decided I was happy to wait until a bit later in the day to fly. It was not self-launchable. After so many turbulent flights lately it was nice to fly in some later day smoother air for once. Not too long after his arrival Hugh helped me launch. It was around 4:45 and there were still some decent thermals with 400-500 fpm. But it was definitely a lot lighter than it was earlier. the highest I got was about 4,500 msl. Easily high enough to go over the back but it was late and I decided to land at the golf course instead. Had some fun zooming past launch in the smooth lift and running down the ridge as well. A little more than an hour into the flight it was getting even softer and I figured I better get back up and out the golf course. So I climbed back up to about 4k, obviously way higher than necessary but it was a nice climb so why not?? Got over the golf course with a few grand and flew around taking in the late afternoon light in the valley. Flew a faster than necessary approach and ended up on the very far end of the driving range. That's a long walk back! Eventually I saw Charley coming out to land but then I lost him over the trees as he went for the field next door. Right then Hugh came into view and he landed right there on the driving range with a real nice approach and flare. Not too long after we were all packed up Daniel and Bacil showed up with vehicles. All in all a fun flight. Nothing epic but it's always a treat to land at the golf course. I actually took some video yesterday. Enjoy -

XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Way cool video Dan. Thanks for posting it. It's been too long. Bacil
krryerson

Post by krryerson »

Dan,
Great video! Unfortunately, I was not able to go flying on Saturday. I had to support my son's last spring baseball game, which was
enjoyable. But, to bad that such an exceptional HG/PG day did conflict with family duties. Sorry, but I am so childish and feel so bummed when reading about Pulpit, Woodstock and Highlander on Saturday... .
Nevertheless, I am new to Pulpit and did you guys land at "Great Cove Golf & Recreation Club" on the driving range? It seems like the golf club did not have any problem with you guys landing and the driving range. But what about the golfers? Did they try to "aim" at you guys?
I think it is great but just wonder.
At last, referring to the Germany article by Janni:
Having being a HG pilot 14 years in Norway, flying on many places in Europe: The biggest problem that I can remember from North Europe was/is the WEATHER. Though, we complain about the weather on the USA East Coast; but, as Janni, I agree that we: ,"... have it so good on the East coast, it's HG paradise compared to... ," Germany and North Europe.
I will never move back to Europe and Norway and Janni, try to get back to USA, ASAP, don't waist your time on long winters and rainy summers in North Europe. Life is too short.
Knut
Dunegoon

Post by Dunegoon »

Awesome video Dan. I am still looking for those afterburners you have hidden in your glider somewhere. :shock:
FlyingFelix

Post by FlyingFelix »

Nice video! Thanks for posting it.
Felix.
deveil

Post by deveil »

how did you get your vario to make that funky screechy sound? did you download it from some website?
garyDevan
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

As Bacil said, I flew 28 miles from the Pulpit to High Rock on Saturday, my first time to complete that classic MidAtlantic XC.

I saw lots of beautiful cummies on my drive up from DC in the morning, but by the time we flew the sky was blue with a fairly thick cirrus layer. The only time I got high was when I drifted over the back with Bacil in a thermal that eventually took me to the chilly air at 5290 MSL. It was a particularly satisfying flight because I spent most of the time between 1800 and 2400 MSL -- the valley averages about 500 MSL, I guess -- hopping from one potential LZ to another and searching the crops for signs of thermals lifting off. I would get low, but unlike earlier on the ridge, the sink was weak and so it wasn’t difficult to survive low long enough to find some slowly rising air to drift in. The last thermal rose up with the terrain as I approached High Rock and took me to 3800 MSL, ~2000 over launch. I spent a while playing in the buoyant air on the ridge, showing off a little for the spectators, and then landed in Emma Jane’s nicely mowed field.

Huge thanks to Dan for helping me launch and grounding himself until the swing shift arrived and to Bacil for the long retrieve and also for leading the way over the back. I owe you both a good turn!

~Daniel