Pulpit Sunday 4/14

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Dunegoon

Pulpit Sunday 4/14

Post by Dunegoon »

Anyone interested? Looks like it will be a fine day to enjoy the sunshine and get some spring flying. Might go S later on in the day (by 5:00 pm), so an earlier start might be a good idea. I need to arrange for an observer to fly, otherwise I can shuttle etc.

Charley F.

Txt/cell 717.829.4943
markc

Re: Pulpit Sunday 4/14

Post by markc »

Starting to shift my hopes to tomorrow given that it's looking so iffy for WS today..... Gotta fly _somewhere_ this weekend, maybe The Pulpit fcst will hold!

MarkC
POLISH EAGLE

Post by POLISH EAGLE »

If the forecast holds I will be at the Pulpit early tomorrow.
Polonus: Polish Eagle
Krzysztof cell# 301 370-1442
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Looking like the place to be.
David Bodner
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

Off to the Pulpit today--- ETA 11:30.

Matthew
Karen Carra
g.sessa

Post by g.sessa »

Heading to the Pulpit....
Greg Sessa
markc

Post by markc »

Just pulled in :-)
markc

Post by markc »

Wow, what a weird/mixed-bag type of day at The Pulpit!

Great turnout.... Lessee if I can remember everyone: Dave B, John D, Karen, Matthew, Gary D (thanks for the launch help!), new to the area Alex (H-2) and Kalynna (hope I got that right), Greg S, Jerry H, Kris, Pete S and his son Eric (cool guy, was very willing to chase after XC pilots), Charlie F, Dan T, John F... I think that's all, apologies if I forgot anyone.

So, about that NW->W->SW forecast? Didn't happen, not even *close*! Early, there were some bonafide W cycles, but overall the day remained solidly north cross, until about 6:00. And winds on launch at about 11:30am were 15G20+. Big sigh.

Dullahan led the charge, and I followed about 45 minutes later. John didn't seem to think that the day was all that strong/rough, but I had a *devil* of a time with the conditions today. No wire-slaps, but really strong, bullet thermals ripping through, un-commanded turns, and some outrageous lift that I literally could _not_ get the wing turned into. Oh, and absolutely ridiculous sink to match the lift. If I'd been able to core for a couple of turns I'd say it felt like a SoCal day at Horse Canyon, based on the sharp thermal boundaries.

But as it was I just couldn't seem to solve the day. 700' over, 1000' over, 1300' over, and then back down and grovelling on the deck, more times than I care to count. And that remained true after more pilots (Kris, Greg, Matthew, Pete) joined me in the air. I was looking up at their sails way more than I wanted to be! :-)

I finally hooked a good one near launch that was drifting OTB and towards Mt. Parnell. At 2200' over, even though the thermal was petering out, I decided that I'd had *enough* and headed downwind. Kris joined me; Matthew and Greg punched back into the valley.

And how 'bout that XC? Well..... Basically a lawn dart, maybe 7 miles. I just couldn't figure out the drift: followed along Rt. 30, but that probably wasn't a good choice based on John D's flight. He made it 4 miles past I-81, on a more SE-terly heading. Definitely the flight-o-the-day, John gets the sky-god kudos.

Charlie had kindly offered to chase after me, and given that I was only a few minutes away, I gave him a call and took him up on his offer. Didn't want to interfere with his chances to fly, and tried to break down ASAP. But the land owner stopped by and wanted to chat, he really seemed interested... What can ya do?

Anyway, hustled to complete the tear-down after Charlie arrived, and then we headed back to launch. Where it was *still* blowing, strong and gusty. Conditions slowly started to mellow, and eventually Dave, Karen, Alex, and Charlie all flew. I set up a second time, hoping for some late-day magic. But it wasn't meant to be..... After the last HG wave, Matthew and Dan T were set up and waiting for a decent PG cycle, but it was N-cross, lighter, N-Cross, and then *bam*, almost no wind. Then SW cross with the occasional trickle up-slope. And then *bam*, blowing hard down the mtn. All within the space of maybe 15 minutes, totally crazy.

Matthew managed to launch, but had to put it into a very tight field. I think he's in the running for the 2013 RLF award! Dan T elected not to fly.

After everyone rendezvous'd up top, and a cold brew or two, we headed to the restaurant-formerly-known-as-McKinstry's in Mercersburg (now Flanagan's) for dinner, lots of flying tales and laughs, and some darn good food.

MarkC
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Interesting day. Got 2K+ over a bunch of times and thought about going over the back. However, it looked all scuzzy over the back-- so I decided to stay out front and battle the turbulence. The first half hour of the flight was some of the most turbulent air in which I've flown in years.

Got a little under two hours.

After helping launch Charlie and Alex, I dragged out the PG... and the wind went North and then just died. Had to wait a while for a puff in before launching. I was mostly maintaining along the ridge in little bumps and thought I'd make the primary. I hit a wall of air halfway between the primary and secondary and realized I wouldn't make it to either field. This must have been when Mark said it all of a sudden turned hard southwest.

I squeaked the PG into this construction site just Northwest of the LZ. It's basically just a dirt hole with an excavator in the middle bounded by tall trees.

Matthew
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Nice job Matthew!
Bun
amykyta3

Post by amykyta3 »

Thanks to everyone for welcoming me into the club! It was great to finally meet some local pilots. Even though my flight was a mere 5-minute sledder, I'm glad I was able to make it out.

On a related note, Did anyone see a white waterproof glider bag (white outside, silver inside, black zipper) at the pulpit launch? It seems that it fell out of my car around the parking area while I was setting up. If you grabbed it, let me know. It would be very much appreciated.
-Alex M