NW Saturday?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

NW Saturday?

Post by Matthew »

Smells like Pulpit or High Rock on Saturday.

What's the Bacil-cast????

Matthew
XCanytime

Re: NW Saturday?

Post by XCanytime »

(With props to George Carlin) In the words of Al your hippie dippie weatherman: Dark Friday night, with scattered light Saturday morning. :mrgreen: In all seriousness, the Pulpit looks good to me. Hope the direction stays NW. If so, plan to get there after work, around 2P. Bacil
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Now looking north. Scratch that last message :( . Bacil
mingram

Post by mingram »

If forecast holds Tom and I are planning to meet in Frederick at 9am arriving at the Pulpit at 10:30am to put a car in the LZ.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

If a bit North-ish as predicted, anyone up for High Rock? I checked and there are NO NOTAMs. I also spoke with Emma Jane and Randy-- the hay is maybe only a foot high in places in the LZ. Also, Randy and Emma Jane are OK with the Fly-In being on September 15-16. I also hope to meet with Eddie Miller to look at some fields near High Rock that could be used for towing paragliders during the HR Fly-In.

Matthew
AustinKasserman

Post by AustinKasserman »

I'm planning on heading out from Frederick with Matt and Tom
Kurt Kemerer

Post by Kurt Kemerer »

Sounds like it might actually be a good day for hight rock I'll give it a go.
SHORTCUT

Post by SHORTCUT »

Northwest...steady..clouds building? Anyone considering Woodstock?
mingram

Post by mingram »

PGs are thinking Woodstock or Pulpit depending on which looks best at 8am. Woodstock looks slightly cloudier and stronger winds aloft. Pulpit looks a little more mellow with more sun. Hoping wind direction holds. Greg, I'm guessing you don't want to drive all the way to the Pulpit since you live in Staunton. Email the PG list.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
eggzkitz

Post by eggzkitz »

Woodstock is out. Pulpit may be blown out for us PGs. Was there anyone camping on Pulpit last night that could give a wind report?
Jeff Eggers
CHGPA President
USHPA 82627
FCC KK4QMQ
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

High Rock is still looking good! ETA 11:30.

Bodner is also in.

Matthew
mingram

Post by mingram »

Late day PG flight at the Pulpit looks possible, but it doesn't look convincing enough. I'm headed out on the boat with family.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Good day at High Rock-- not great. Winds were lighter than expected--- and pretty straight-- not cross from the North. So it probably would've been good at the Pulpit early. Did anyone go????

Steve K. launched first and had an extendo. Kurtis followed a little later and got right up-- followed by Karen and then David B. and then me. Kurtis landed after 45 minutes because he was wearing a winter coat and got hot. The temp at launch was about 85 degrees.

Karen got 40 minutes and David 28 minutes. I got an hour and 20 minutes. I think we all maxed out at about 600 over, except for Steve, of course.

Big thanks to Danny Brotto for dropping by and wire crewing. Carlos also stopped by to help wire crew me. Danny took Carlos for a half hour sailplane ride after they wired me off.

Big thanks too to Jodi, David's wife, for helping out and running a retrieve.

It started to rain lightly as we finished packing up. However, we lucked out and missed the big rain on the way home by stopping for dinner in Frederick with Carlos.

Karen and I also met up with Eddie Miller to look at a couple of fields for PG towing. One is a half a mile long! It's in corn now but that''ll be cut by the High Rock Fly-In. So we will need a bunch of tarps if we are to tow PGs at the Fly-In. And, of course, a tow rig.

Matthew