Calvert cliffs this Fri

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

garys

Calvert cliffs this Fri

Post by garys »

I did not fly WS today. Too north. Bailing on Calvert cliffs tomorrow although it looks pretty good. I am heading down after rush hour tomorrow night for an early start Fri if anyone is interested. Gary 540-686-0351
Gary Smith
jyoder111

Re: Calvert cliffs this Fri

Post by jyoder111 »

I'm interested. Do we have a third person? Forecast looks great!

Jesse
garys

Post by garys »

Shawn from Hyner said he is driving down tonight. I plan to get there by 9:00 pm tonight. Gary
Gary Smith
Kelvin Pierce

Post by Kelvin Pierce »

I am interested. Could someone please forward me directions on how to get there. What time do you plan on starting to set up?
Kelvin
stevek

Post by stevek »

Hey Kelvin. Md 2/4 to Calvert Cliffs Rd to Matoaka Lane (sign " Cabins for Rent" ). See you there 202 812 8305
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

Talked to Gary... I'm heading down tonight. ETA about 9pm.

Jesse
markc

Post by markc »

Wish I could join you, but no dice this time.....

Looks like conditions will start to back off by 11, so get there early! :shock:
markc

Post by markc »

oooooo, things are REALLY looking good now:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... =graphical

Have fun out there!!!

MarkC
Kelvin Pierce

Post by Kelvin Pierce »

It was awesome! What a nice site! Thank you Gary for being such a great host and for giving me the complete lowdown on the site. Thanks Jesse and Gary for the launch assist. I launched at 9:00 am and flew until 10:30 am and had a blast sharing the air with Shawn and some bald eagles. Can't wait till next time!
Kelvin
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

Big thanks to Gary for introducing us to the site and providing a cabin for us to stay in last night! Such a neat little campground... like stepping back in time.

After waiting and hoping for the wind to pick up a bit and reach the forecasted 13mph (never quite did), Shawn and Kelvin skillfully launched their large Falcons and were able to get up above the trees. I decided to give it a go. I turned late off of launch and lost a bit getting onto the ridge. Then overshot the southern turnpoint and lost a little more. Then I got turned by a gust and bam, next thing I knew, I was screaming downwind along the beach thinking "beach, what beach?!" I should have turned immediately over the water to come around and land to the north but I didn't react quick enough and so I was left to sort out a landing down by the boat ramp. I'll let you watch the video to see how it turned out. After carrying the the glider back up, I considered flying again, but one "oh S@#$" moment was enough for the day. While the other guys flew, landed, and retrieved their gear, I hung around with Steve K. who got a few PG sledders in. We waited for Gary to fix some water heaters in the cabins, rid ourselves of some tics and chiggers as best we could, and then we went to lunch on the floating docks at that crab place (can't remember the name..).. and all this before 1:30pm. Whew.

Jesse

stevek

Post by stevek »

It got better again later and I soared it in my PG. !!