Hang Gliding in the Afterlife

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

drice21037

Post by drice21037 »

Saturday's forcast called or cooler temperatures and NEish winds. My family had been considering heading out for a picnic somewhere and the Wx made me think Oregon Ridge would be a great idea. Little did I know what doom was waiting for me there.

The day got off to a bad start. My daughter had agreed to feed and walk my sister-in-law's dogs while she was at the beach this weekend. The plan was for Jenna to get up early enough to take care of her little furry charges and be home in time to leave at 10:00. Well she got up late, as girls her age are prone to do, and we arrived to find a big mess at my sister in-law's house. Let's just say, the dogs must have eaten something that didn't agree with them. Thus, we got off to a late start and I left in a bad mood because of it.

The hour drive to OR was uneventful and I was getting over my 'clean up dog vomit' mood. We arrived to find John Middleton's students setting up in the lower parking lot and a hill full of paragliders. I watched a few of them fly while setting up my glider. Paragliding seems very gentle and peaceful. Probably the way hang gliding looks when it's done right. I must have visibly enjoyed watching them because my wife gave me her 'haven't we spent enough money on hang gliding' look and I gave her my 'No' look back. My wife's looks are far more expressive than mine.

I finished setting up, did my preflight and headed up the hill. On the way up, I was passed by at least three paraglider pilots who were practically jogging to the top carrying about 12 ounces of equipment. As I slogged to the top, I remembered reading about climbers at the top of Everest who take tiny little steps and rest often. That made me feel a little better until I realized that mountaineering at 20,000' was probably not the same level of effort as carrying a 65 pound hang glider up a 100' hill at basically sea level. Oh well, I bet those climber guys couldn't manage a health care data warehouse to save their lives, so I've got that going for me.

My goal for the day was to verify that I could still foot launch a hang gider. Accoring to my log it had been 980 days since my last foot launch which took place at Smithsburg on Saturday, November 30, 2002. In a way it's just like riding a bike, you never really forget. But, given my track record with analogies (see previous paragraph) on the wild chance that I had forgotten, it would be better to discover that on a training hill rather than a mountain. I got to the top, waited for a good cycle, yelled clear, ran forward, leaned into my run as every muscle committed to the project and had a nice clean launch.

I floated over the park trying to look as cool as the paragliders, pulled in for speed as I drifted lower, made it to the bottom parking lot got gusted by the cross and the turbulence down there and had a less than stellar landing. I was on my feet but that was it as far as the positives went. There was a cross from the north down there and I had not adequately adjusted for it. I planned to do better next time and started making my way back to the top.

This is where it starts to get weird. I stopped to rest at the base of the hill where my family was sitting in the shade enjoying the day. A few other people were hanging out in that area also and when I stopped a guy named Mike started talking to me. He said he had taken a few lessons with Richard in the past then he offered to carry my glider back up the hill. :shock:

I was a little apprehensive as I wasn't sure he would know how to do that. But of course I told him that would be great and got out of his way. He climbed under the control frame, wedged his shoulders between the downtubes like a pro, lifted with his legs and started up the hill. I couldn't believe what was happening.

On the way up I was trying to understand what was going on. After a few minutes of trying to keep up with Mike, I figured it out. There is only one possible explanation because this kind of thing simply doesn't happen. At least not to 40 year old male pilots. Obviously, my landing had been worse than I thought because rather than walking away with a plan to do better next time, I must have been killed and now I'm in hang glider pilot heaven.

A few things bothered me as this was not exactly the hang glider pilot heaven I had envisioned. There was the glider porter and that was great, but it was still very hot. Not only that but the next few launches did not climb directly to cloud base which I think would always happen in hang glider heaven. Then there were the groupies, or rather, the almost total lack of them. What few that appeared were all sweaty guys just like me. Not exactly what I expect to find in hang glider pilot heaven.

Unstopped by the confusion, I launched again. Another nice clean launch and a better, while not yet perfect landing in the lower parking lot. Maybe I just need to carry more speed to combat the funky air of the lz. Next time I'll be sure to do that.

When I stopped near my family again, there was Mike. Who after some additional chatting, offered to sherpa for me again! :shock: Of course I let him and up we went. I had begun to think that while hang glider heaven may not be exactly what I anticipated, it's still pretty good because I'm not carrying my own glider back up the hill.

My third launch was also clean and I tried to carry more speed into the lower parking lot. My plan worked, sort of. Remember the cross from the north that I didn't really account for during my first flight? Had I done that as well as carried more speed then I may have had a landing that John would have used as an example to his students. Instead, my extra speed carried me further toward the road a into the turbulence of the tree line. I remember being upright and feeling the glider thinking, almost time to flare, almost, almost, slam, I was skidding across the gravel strewn ground. Come to think of it, John may have used my landing as an example to his students.

I was ok. My wheels saved me again. The only damage was to the skin on my knees which was minor but continues to be annoyingly painful. (Note to self: break out the knee pads.)

It was clear that I was not in hang glider pilot heaven. Mike was probably just a nice guy who offered to participate in the sport the only way he could. After talking to him I'm sure he'll be back with us someday and this time he'll stay.

Note to Observers: Contrary to the tone of this story, I really can land a hang glider. And don't be put off by the knee pads.
Dave
Matthew

PG

Post by Matthew »

I finished setting up, did my preflight and headed up the hill. On the way up, I was passed by at least three paraglider pilots who were practically jogging to the top carrying about 12 ounces of equipment.....

Contrary to your impression David, I find that carrying a paraglider up the trainig hill is just as grueling as carrying a hang glider up the hill. The PG wing wraps around you like a thick heat trapping blanket, you're always tripping or almost tripping on the myriad of lines and the whole set-up weighs 50 lbs.

Matthew
PS Glad to see you out there brushing up on your foot launches. The HR Fly-In is just around the corner. Hope you set a good example to tow pilots who plan to attend the the 30th Anniversary with intentions of flying.
breezyk1d

Hang glider heaven!

Post by breezyk1d »

Oh man Dave - great story! But a few nice thoughts for you....I've flown there a OR frequently during training and also during footlaunching (i.e. no good soaring) days. And not only have I experienced the wide variation in landing styles; from adequate to less-than-stellar (use your imagination on that one), but I have watched repeated less-than-ideal landings there by numerous pilots who are better than me. It seems to be a part of the course there. The only person whom I know who repeatedly had perfect landings there was a student training for his hang 2 the same time I was after mine, and he was a sky diver before he was a hang glider pilot. I can only imagine that after hitting the ground a few times, he decided that he simply was going to not hit the ground any more.

You are in good company.

And as for hiking that baby up the hill? After the 3rd or 4th time hiking it up, you get your "wind" back. I've out-lugged some of John's male students who are not only younger than I, but have testosterone in their musculature to boot (though they probably smoke or something)! It is simply a matter of getting past the point of pain (yes, grasshopper, there is nirvanan after the pain...) However, I've discovered that even though I can lug my glider up the hill about 6 times (lung function = ok, legs can get me there), that the ground under my feet has turned to mint jelly. Funny how that can happen even without an earthquake.

It sounds like you simply got into someone else's hang glider heaven. If I run into yours, I'll swap you! -Linda B.
drice21037

Post by drice21037 »

Hmmm, I hadn't thought about that. The wing was sort of wrapped around
you like a blanket all the way up the hill. I'm honestly surprised to
hear it weighs 50 lbs. Too bad Mike hadn't taken paragliding lessons!
:-)

It was great to see everyone on Saturday. And while most of the stuff I
said was a feeble attempt at humor, watching you fly really was cool. I
might have to give paragliding a try some day.

Unfortunately, I have other plans the weekend of the HR Fly-In but I
work in Columbia and have thought heading out for an evening glass off
might be nice sometime.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, August 07, 2005 11:08 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Hang Gliding in the Afterlife

I finished setting up, did my preflight and headed up the hill. On the
way up, I was passed by at least three paraglider pilots who were
practically jogging to the top carrying about 12 ounces of
equipment.....

Contrary to your impression David, I find that carrying a paraglider up
the trainig hill is just as grueling as carrying a hang glider up the
hill. The PG wing wraps around you like a thick heat trapping blanket,
you're always tripping or almost tripping on the myriad of lines and the
whole set-up weighs 50 lbs.

Matthew
PS Glad to see you out there brushing up on your foot launches. The HR
Fly-In is just around the corner. Hope you set a good example to tow
pilots who plan to attend the the 30th Anniversary with intentions of
flying.
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Dave, I enjoyed your story very much- Good Read! I was at smithsburg one day, and Sparky showed me a way of getting my glider back up the hill, provided there is some wind. What you do is put an extra hang strap on your keel at the nose plate.You then tilt the glider down- nose towards ground. hold onto the hang strap, and let the wind push the glider up the hill on it's wheels! It Helps. Peace, Shawn.
drice21037

Post by drice21037 »

I haven't heard of that method. There wasn't enough wind on Saturday to do
that, in fact if there's every that much wind at OR it would probably be a
death trap, but for a place like Smithsburg that sounds great. I have floated
my glider back up the hill at Smithsburg by holding onto the nose wires but
that's really only a good idea if the wind is very smooth. I'll have to try
your method this winter.

I hope your feeling better. Maybe you can show me how to do it in a few
months. You'll probably be back before the crops are down.

Dave

Quoting hepcat1989 <hepcat88@innernet.net>:

>
> Dave, I enjoyed your story very much- Good Read! I was at smithsburg one
> day, and Sparky showed me a way of getting my glider back up the hill,
> provided there is some wind. What you do is put an extra hang strap on your
> keel at the nose plate.You then tilt the glider down- nose towards ground.
> hold onto the hang strap, and let the wind push the glider up the hill on
> it's wheels! It Helps. Peace, Shawn.
>

Post by silverwings »

Enjoyable read! I agree with Matthew about carrying a PG up the hill even though he exaggerated the weight a bit, but Sparkys students were using lighter training harnesses, still it's probably toward 30+ lbs. I find walking up a hill without a hang glider almost a fatiguing as carrying a HG up sometimes though I stop for rests with a HG.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Matthew

PGs

Post by Matthew »

Hi John,

My PG kit weighs so much because I have a heavy harness with tons of padding.. a good thing. Plus, parachute, tree rescue kit, and harness bag in which I carry my tow release and winter flying crap. It weighs 48lbs... just under the limit for the new checked bag regs. I find it easier to carry a Falcon up the hill if only wearing a knee-hanger than tromping up with the PG. Though if there is wind, you can kite the PG and have it pull you up the hill.

Matthew
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Ha, ha! Great post! Thanks, Dave. - Hugh