24-Nov-2011 - Soaring flight #2 @ Elizabethville

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

JMNTech

24-Nov-2011 - Soaring flight #2 @ Elizabethville

Post by JMNTech »

This is my second major get-above-launch soaring flight.

Thanksgiving Day at Lizzyville - I launched at approx 11:00AM and flew for about 15 mins.

I stood on launch for a few minutes with my airspeed indicator (I don't use it while flying.) The wind went from 10 MPH up to 13 MPH.

I launched in nice smooth cycle and turned right immediately. I was about 300 over in no time. It was what they call "bullet proof."

I max gained about 500 feet over launch.

A few hundred feet to the right (where the ridge flattens out a bit) there were thermals that I scouted early on. I wanted to practice with them on this flight so I eventually flew over to find them and tried to catch them. It didn't work out but I still learned from my attempts.

I definitely could have probably stayed up longer and maybe gained more with my passes along the steeper part of the ridge.

The wind was STFI this day.

One thing I noticed after watching other pilots is that it takes a bit more effort to balance my wing while milking the lift and initiating banks in higher winds. I'm on the light end of my wing load because the glider i'm using was given to me by my Dad.

Turning into the thermals is something i'm new to. I am totally open and interested in constructive criticism as well as general tips.

As always I came away with some good quality hands on experience!

FYI: My instructor and I always debrief after my flights and discuss areas of opportunity while reviewing each video of my flights.

I only ask for constructive criticism because frankly... IT CAN SAVE MY LIFE.

Thanks!

I cut out my landing because it wasn't very pretty. Next time I will be sure to take it easy.