HR Friday Dec 2...

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Danny Brotto

HR Friday Dec 2...

Post by Danny Brotto »

Meeting Jerry Heinz at HR this am. Dry cold frontal passage with winds picking up slightly as the day wains. We'll take a look and figure it out from there.

Danny Brotto
sailin

Re: HR Friday Dec 2...

Post by sailin »

Danny did you guys end up flying High Rock yesterday?

Jon
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Well I showed up at HR at about noon. Jerry Heinz was there but it was pretty SW. We headed over to Smithburg and it was cross there too. At about 2:30 it began to switch straight in (about 1 hour later than predicted with the dry frontal passage) so I slammed battens into my toy-glider Falcon and commenced to tear it up for a few (3) flights. By 3:45 it was blowing a bit cross from the North and flight #4 was a bit, ahh... textured... yeehah! It then straightened but really started cranking. I waited for it to settle a bit before flight #5. Kinsley and a couple of other PG dudes flew although when it was cooking... they were flying backwards.

I suspect that HR was fine for at least an hour an a half at the end of the day... but S'burg was on from 3:00 on and it was hoot... and as my dear deceased friend Woody Jones once mentored me... "Never leave a good party for another party."

Danny Brotto
JMNTech

Post by JMNTech »

Nice write up Mr. Brotto, Sounds like you had an exciting day. I sent you a message, get back to me when you have a chance!
sailin

Post by sailin »

Gotcha Danny, thank you. I subscribe to the same party philosophy myself :) I am hoping to get out to Smithsburg soon....had so much fun there last winter.

Jon
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

We (Homer, Pat Halfhill, Larry Huffman, Pete Lehmann, and myself) flew High Point on Friday and had a great day with climbs under wave clouds to over 5200' and good lift (500+ fpm). Pete had the longest time aloft getting almost three hours before landing in the Zirks LZ. I got a little over two hours getting to 5214' at one point and landed at Zirks. The air was sweet and the end-of-the-day libations were cold and wet!

JR
sailin

Post by sailin »

Excellent!!! Thank you for the report. Wish I wouldn't have had to work Friday so I coulda got some too!!!

Jon
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

JR,

Thanks for the post. It's good to hear that some pilots I haven't heard from in a while are still flying.

I haven't flown High Point since my carpool partner Doug Wakefield moved to Canada several years ago, but I still think it's among the nicest sites in Region 9, especially when you can land at Zirks.

Dan T