Daniels Sat26Nov ?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

Daniels Sat26Nov ?

Post by markc »

Looking like Daniels might be worth a shot tomorrow, with temps in the mid-60s (!) .

Who wants to give it a go?

MarkC
sailin

Re: Daniels Sat26Nov ?

Post by sailin »

I'm in Mark. ETA noonish.

Jon
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

I am thinking about it too. Unsure about how strong winds will be but will look again in the am.

Tom McGowan
carweill

Post by carweill »

Looks light.

I'll look tomorrow

Carlos
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Several of us flew PGs there yesterday. Winds were light as forecasted and most flights were sleds or extendos. The valley was beautiful and the visibility nearly unlimited. You could see all the way to the horizon. Nobody wore jackets, not bad for late November.

There were opportunities to soar if you picked the right cycle and worked the thermals aggressively. Today should be even a little better. Come on out, what else are you gonna do, rake the leaves?

Dan T
sailin

Post by sailin »

Going to have to pull the plug on my initial "I'm in" to "I'll be in the area fishing and might check out launch if things are looking good int the valley" :oops: .
Last forecasts I saw had lots of West (and even some north) in it till late in the day. To be honest if I wasn't such a slow poke this morning I would have probably gambled on the Pulpit, based on what I saw on the forecast.......but then again, my gambling track record isn't that good :evil:

Jon
markc

Post by markc »

The forecasts have lightened up, sigh. But I'm still going to give Daniel's a try. Carlos is up for it to. Heading out around 9:45.
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

good luck guys. I am going to spend some time with the kids.

Tom
markc

Post by markc »

That was a good choice Tom. :|

I'd hoped that the forecast for lots of sun would hold true. I *did* check the satellite before leaving, and it seemed to indicate that the clouds this morning were localized to the DC area.... But during the drive, it became apparent that upper-level cirrus clouds were moving in, and my enthusiasm level began to drop. A ton of PGers : Dan, Ben & Ellie, Christa, Petr, Jim, Petr, Luke, Paul, and even more (I lost count!). Just three hopeful hangies: Carlos, SteveK, and myself.

It was sled-ride-city out there... We all got to bond in the lightness of being (or the lightness of conditions). Steve opted for a PG flight first. Carlos didn't bother setting up. I flew in the late afternoon, after watching a couple of forward PG launches. Didn't realize it until today, but there comes a point, when conditions are getting REALLY light, when launching an HG can actually be easier than inflating a PG wing (at least at a site like Daniels). Hadn't thought of that before.

Most had just one sled, some (including Christa) had two. Steve flew both of his wings. In spite of the lack of soaring, it was fun to be out there enjoying a 60+ degree day in late Nov. And yeah, even though it was just a sled, I still had a smile on my face. Beats doing laundry!

MarkC
markc

Post by markc »

Oh, I forgot to mention: Welcome back to the air Petr!!!! Way to go!
Petr

Post by Petr »

Thanks, it's great to be back! By the way, really good looking low wind launches by all three hangies at Daniels yesterday. One more reason for leaving with a smile even after a day that did not offer much more than a sled ride.
Petr