My first real soaring flight SUN-20-Nov-2011

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

JMNTech

My first real soaring flight SUN-20-Nov-2011

Post by JMNTech »

Anyone that thinks you can't soar a 450 foot cliff, think again.

I woke up at 6:15, after having a hang gliding dream. Umm, does that sound weird to anyone? I'm a newbie maybe that's why I have dreams like this...

I called Bill at 6:16AM. He called me back around 6:30. I said Bill, it's gonna be beautiful today.

He asked me if I saw anything that looked good. I checked a few sites, none were working... but then I checked Cedar Ledge.
Forecast was WSW (STFI) all day. 12MPH at 1PM tapering down to 9MPH by 4PM.

I had to strike up some enthusiasm in Bill with the thought of soaring and I offered to give him free tech support for life. It worked.

First flight was around 1:30 PM.

My first flight was an extended sled ride. I got a little lift and did a few passes but wasn't staying above launch so I went out to land and packed up.

Bill then came back down, took me back up to the top and we tried again. I set up quickly. The wind was coming in like it was before but this time something was different.

Ready to go again at 2:30 PM.

I gave it a good launch run even though it could have been a 3 stepper and I turned right, pushed out a bit on my first right turn and gained about 50 feet. I then turned left toward the ledge and gained more. I was over launch after my second turn, with a huge smile on my face..

Once I got my confidence and a good feel for where the lift was I was able to go back and fourth gaining on each pass, before I knew it about 10 or 15 minutes later I was 300 above launch looking down at Bill. I yelled "Bill!!! This is awesome!"

Eventually Bill came up to join me. We flew together for about 40 minutes, then he went out to land. He originally planned to go land, break down his glider and hike back up the 450ft cliff while there was still daylight. (The minivan was at the top and we had no body ride) but he saw me getting up decided to keep an eye on me while I flew. He took some LZ video of me which was nice.

I stayed up and kept gaining, every time I was getting lift I would stay in that direction until I stopped getting lift but was still maintaining then I'd turn a little more than 180 degrees and go back over the ledge to the sweet spots I scouted early on.

I noticed I kept getting strong lift in one area (sweet spot) every time I passed it. I was 450 ft. above and I hit that same sweet spot. I decided to do a 360 right in that spot. It was scary turning downwind... but when I came back straight into the wind, I looked at my vario again... now I was now at 550 ft... wow. (it really wasn't worth my heart dropping into my chest but it gave me about a 100 ft gain.)

I learned so much. I peaked at 780 ft above. I flew from 2:30 and landed at 5:00 just as the daylight came to an end. It was a 2.5 hr flight.

I worked my ass off at some points and I got a feel for what it takes to stay up and find lift. My legs are killing me, my arms feel like I did pull ups all day, my neck feels like it was beat with a baseball bat, my stomach is sore from turning hard and yet I love every damn bit of it and i'm ready for more... It was an amazing experience.

Thank you Bill U. and Dad for getting me to this point.

I love this freakin sport, and I love all you guys for having me here and helping me in the ways you have.

Thanks,

JMN
mingram

Re: My first real soaring flight SUN-20-Nov-2011

Post by mingram »

Awesome Joseph! Thanks for sharing! 2.5 hour soaring flight this late in the flying season is just awesome! Especially for a new pilot! Congrats man!

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
JMNTech

Post by JMNTech »

Hey, thank you for your comment Matt!
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Congrats!!!

Awesome flight!

Give our regards to Bill and tell him (and you too) to come join us at Pulpit or High Rock the next good NW day.

Matthew
JMNTech

Post by JMNTech »

Thanks Matthew, I definitely will!
RichH

Post by RichH »

Sweet Flight ..you will always remember that one!!..
pnadams

Post by pnadams »

Awesome first soaring flight!
Where is Cedar Ledge?
JMNTech

Post by JMNTech »

Thanks a lot! Cedar ledge is in Tunkhannock, Pa.