Hog Back - The Good the Bad and The UGLY

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

The good the bad the ugly.

Gary and I decided to try Hog Back today. We checked out all the possible LZs and left a car by one then headed to launch. We set up and Gary launched first. Launch was covered with ferns and there were some bushes and small trees that have grown up all around the launch area. Neither of us had flown this site although we both have been there before checking out the site. There is only a short distance to run before the hill slopes away but there are two rocks just past this point in front of launch. The ferns and grass obscured the rough ground and rocks. The winds were cycling in with a bit of a cross. Gary got out with a clean launch and slowly climbed out over launch.

I suited up and watched a couple cycles come thru. I blew the launch and ended up in the trees to the left of launch. This was not at all good. I have felt my launches have much improved this past year and am most unhappy with my decisions and launch today. I realized a few steps into my launch that the winds were dropping off as my glider was not lifting much at all. I then stepped on the the steeper part of the slope or in a hole and fell into the glider which was not good at this point. I cleared the rocks but pushed out to clear the next brush, clipped my left wing and was turned into the trees. Fortunately I was only about ten feet above the ground at this point and able to get out of the harness and get everything out of the trees. I told Gary to continue flying as I was ok. The only damage was a cut on my lip where I hit the tree and to my confidence and ego. After getting everything in my bag I took my harness to the launch where I found a very helpful hiker who went back down with me to retrieve my glider. Two hours was not bad for breaking down in the trees.

What went wrong? I am not totally sure. I think I could have run a little harder but there is little room for a long run. The one thing I am sure of is that I misread the cycle and launched as the winds were dying off and possibly going cross on me. Gary said he could see my nose pitch up but I am not sure if that was when I just started the run( which would be very poor technique) or when I pushed out to try to clear the bushes after I got airborne. In any case I need to recalibrated my assessment of launch conditions and my launch technique. The training hill will be good as my next activity but this event may well have been caused by bad judgement on when to launch. I cannot let this happen again or I will have to retire form this activity.

I could not find any damage to my glider but I will still take it to Steve Wendt for a thorough check out. During my recover process I knocked my helmet over and it rolled down the mountain and out of sight. I will have to go back Sunday to see if I can find it.

Joe
tomceunen

Woodstock

Post by tomceunen »

I'm happy hte story had a happy end, could have been worse.

Anyway it was perfect at Woodstock between 1PM-4PM to launch

Cheers
Tom
Holly

Post by Holly »

Joe,

I'm so glad to hear you're okay. I can empathize with some of your post launch analysis.... pilot error is the same thing that bit me in the a$& :( At least we have been given the opportunity to reflect on what happened, make adjustments, and fly again another day :)

Holly
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Hi Holly,

Hope you are near full recovery now. It was all pilot error yesterday.
The real problem is that I have blown a launch before. Even though this
was a different launch it was still a foot launch that I could have done
right. Kind of hurts the ego but I can get over that. Headed out to
look for my helmet that rolled down the mountain.

Joe

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 6:09 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Hog Back - The Good the Bad and The UGLY

Joe,

I'm so glad to hear you're okay. I can empathize with some of your post
launch analysis.... pilot error is the same thing that bit me in the a$&
:( At least we have been given the opportunity to reflect on what
happened, make adjustments, and fly again another day :)

Holly
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Joe, sorry about your launch, but You're OK!! Think it through, and get your confidence back on the training hills. I'm glad it wasn't worse! peace, Shawn.