Any PGs flying this week?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

kylek

Any PGs flying this week?

Post by kylek »

Does anyone have any plans to fly this week? If so, I would love to tag along. I'm new to the area and still not familiar with most of the sites so I'm not sure if the weather will be cooperating. I would love to get out though!

Kyle
510-517-5137
mingram

Re: Any PGs flying this week?

Post by mingram »

No one on the PG list is talking about flying this week. High pressure is centered over our area which means there's not much wind to make mountain launching very reliable. You have to hope a thermal blows into launch. Surface winds are light E/SE all week, but with winds so light no one wants to make the gamble. Bills Hill is an East facing ridge which is open to flying for P2/H2 without an observer and can work SE - check your site guide for more info.

Towing is a better option for high pressure/light wind days because you're usually guaranteed to fly. Steve Wendt at Blue Sky near Richmond can tow PG - Scooter and Truck towing. You have to call ahead and reserve a spot. He starts teaching at 8am on week days.

This is perfect powered paragliding weather. Some of the PPG guys are flying out of Warrenton Airpark this afternoon. I missed the chance today, but might try PPG later this week.

I'm out of town this weekend - going to a Virginia Tech football game on Saturday and probably boating with the family while there's still some summer left. I'm sure some other PGs will be around this weekend. Early forecast shows wind is SW on Saturday so Daniel's will be the likely choice. Check the forecast and call an observer if you're interested.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Re: Any PGs flying this week?

Post by mingram »

My office is closing early on Friday. Daniel's is looking possible for a late afternoon flight. I'll confirm tomorrow morning. Kyle, you interested?

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu