Bike and Fly Saturday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Matthew

Bike and Fly Saturday

Post by Matthew »

Got conflcting forecasts for Saturday. ADDS shows NE turning East. MRF shows NW and Meteograms show North. Ugh!

If it's Easterly, we're thinking of doing Bill's Hill and biking the abandoned section of the PA Turnpike. Access is a about 10 minutes from Bill's. The road is twelve miles long and includes two tunnels, one 3/4 of a mile long and the other is over 1.25 miles long. Biking is allowed. The road was purchase a few years ago by the Southern Alleghenies Conservancy to be turned into a bike path. No improvemet work has been done on it yet. I've wanted to do this ride for a couple of years-- roundtrip 24 miles. If anyone wants to join us, bring a mountain bike or hybrid plus a a couple of lights, preferably a headlight or flashlight for your handlebars and a headlamp for your helmet. The tunnels are supposed to be way eerie.

Matthew
Spark

Post by Spark »

Expect a TFR affecting HR ... at least POTUS picked a non-NW day.
Catoctin Mountain Park Announces Temporary Closure
July 21, 2005

Due to increased security measures, portions of Catoctin Mountain Park will be closed effective Friday, July 22 at 3:00PM. Closures are scheduled to continue through Sunday, July 24 at 2:00 PM
Park Central Road is closed between the Camp Misty Mount Entrance and Camp Greentop. Reservations for Poplar Grove, Camp Misty Mount, Camp Greentop and Camp Round Meadow will be honored.
[/quote]
'Spark
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Hey Matthew, That sounds fun! Where abouts do you get onto this bike rt.Do you park one car, or two. Thanks, Shawn
Matthew

PA Turnpike

Post by Matthew »

Shawn,

I was planning on accessing the road at the mid-point, cycling east to the end, then back west to the other end and east again back to the middle. See--

http://www.briantroutman.com/highways/a ... /trip.html

Parking at the midpoint is on Oregon Road, which is off of 915 North just past the right turn you make to get to Bill's. This isn't shown on the web page above. But it's easy to find on a DeLorme map.

Matthew
Spark

Re: PA Turnpike

Post by Spark »

That article is intriguing - especially the prospect of bats! ... Sign me up! I've got a fresh set of batteries in my headlamp.
'Spark
mcelrah

Bike and Fly Saturday

Post by mcelrah »

So, Matthew, are we doing this tomorrow (20 August)? - Hugh

On 21 Jul 2005, at 11:33, Matthew wrote:

>
> Shawn,
>
> I was planning on accessing the road at the mid-point, cycling east
> to the end, then back west to the other end and east again back to
> the middle. See--
>
>
> http://www.briantroutman.com/highways/a ... /trip.html
>
> Parking at the midpoint is on Oregon Road, which is off of 915
> North just past the right turn you make to get to Bill's. This
> isn't shown on the web page above. But it's easy to find on a
> DeLorme map.
>
> Matthew
>
Matthew

HR Saturday

Post by Matthew »

Heading up to the Rock ETA 9:45. Check out conditions. If good stay a while. If sucky, head onto Breezewood for bike ride.

Matthew