Saturday August 13th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mingram

Saturday August 13th

Post by mingram »

It could be a Fisher Road day tomorrow if the ridge lift is strong enough to run the entire ridge. Or maybe I'll just go to Daniels - which is forecast to be more overcast. I'll make the call in the morning. Anyone else interested?

Jim, Laszlo, Ben and I have been discussing new LZ options. I found the owner of the land below launch (some developed, some not) that could become our new bailout LZ and I'd like to try talking to him if I go. I'm also reviewing the USHPA Site Management guide to get tips on the best way to approach this.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Soodk

Re: Saturday August 13th

Post by Soodk »

Any observers out tomorrow? Could come out to Daniels if I can manage a car from the rental early enough.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Yes noah and ellis are going. I can pick you up in Ballston Or Vienna metro. When can you meet? 9am?

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

uh.... i'm waffling...
mingram

Post by mingram »

Impromptu work party at Daniels! Jim was a madman and had blazed a significant trail by the time the rest of us showed up around noon. Six of us put a good dent on the sides of launch. Nelson's previous tree cutting in the bottom of the slot really took care of the tall stuff! Thanks Nelson! We still have a ways to go, but it's looking much better and feels much easier to launch in. Yay!

There was very little wind this afternoon and it was humid, but the overcast sky made cleanup easier. We were watching the radar and could see the line of storms over Charlottesville creeping our way, but tracking mostly NE. As they crept closer to Standardsville we were hit by a big gust front of 20+mph for a few minutes. We barely got a sprinkle of rain around 2:30, but it was enough to convince us to fill our bellies with some pizza at Sal's. On our way down I could see sun in the valley and good wind so I called Noah to turn around (my wing was in his car), but it was a false alarm as the wind died. I called in the pizza order and we arrived just as it popped out of the oven. It was sunny and windy in Stanardsville so we ate quickly and got back on launch.

It was pretty overcast on launch and the cycles were getting weaker. Jim was first and worked some small bubbles managed to get a couple hundred over launch. Petr and I had extendos and landed with Jim still in the air. The lift was weak and bubbly and was hard to work close to the ridge, but Karan milked it by doing figure 8's. Noah had stirrup trouble and had an extendo. Inna was superstar of the day for showing up not intending to fly and helping clear the slot and driving the car down. We were all happy we got to fly on a marginal day. As we were leaving around 5:30 thunderstorms started going off and it rained most of the way back to DC.

I call that success!

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

dig it

dig ~ v. 1. to like, appreciate and understand. The phrase dig doesn't only mean "I understand," but that one is a very special person that understands in a special sort of way.
garyDevan