PGs - Aug 6/7 weekend

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Soodk

PGs - Aug 6/7 weekend

Post by Soodk »

Hi there -

Back here after a bit of a hiatus.

Was wondering if there are any PG observers flying Sat / Sun?

Apologies - if this sounds naive. Dont have a handle yet on all the sites, and the weather conditions at each.

Thanks,
Karan
pink_albatross

Re: PGs - Aug 6/7 weekend

Post by pink_albatross »

Ellis's PG forecast (to be taking with many grains of salt ;-)
I think good instability everywhere in our region:
maybe Daniel's on Saturday, 50% cloud cover and 30-40% chance of precip, 50% chance of thunderstorms (maybe too much instability?)
maybe Woodstock on Sunday, although maybe up to 50% cloud cover and 0-30% (depending on forecast) chance of precip
maybe Pulpit on sunday, 10-45% cloud cover and clearing and 30% chance of precip, but that's thunderstorms, so maybe good instability, could be blown out.

forget about Dickey's.
So, if you only have one day to fly, I would pick Sunday at Woodstock.

Disagreeing opinions are welcome and encouraged!
My sources: usairnet.com, wunderground and aviationweather.gov

-- ellis
Petr

Post by Petr »

On Saturday, I was thinking of early launch at Daniels (11-12 noon ). T storms and/or rowdiness possible in the afternoon. Any observers interested to be there?
Petr, P2
mingram

Post by mingram »

Karan, since you're a CHGPA member you have access to our site guide which explains particulars about wind direction and directions to our sites. Send me a PM if you need the password.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
pink_albatross

Re: PGs - Aug 6/7 weekend - and weather forecast

Post by pink_albatross »

Btw, any P2 who wishes to go out should contact an observer first. They will give them the directions anyway along with how to coordinate arrivals (doesn't do a P2 any good, if s/he arrives at three, when the observer has been long gone for his/her XC ;-) )

I am NOT going out today. Doesn't look that great - very cloudy. But don't let that stop *you*. There is potential for nice gentle thermals (just watch out for embedded thunderstorms).

If you are a P2, you *might* get some flights in. Also Daniel's (today) is a better place to get an intro to flying in this region than Woodstock (tomorrow). So, if you want to fly Daniel's today, see if you can rouse Noah, an instructor in Charlottesville (not far from Daniel's). Maybe he'll come out.

(to Yannick: Noah as well as Peter -who might have weekend constraints - can convert foreign ratings to American ones. )

-- ellis
p.s. from ushpa.org website: Noah Merritt Charlottesville, VA 216-374-9698 Basic
and Peter Humes Charles Town, WV 304-596-7442 Basic & Tandem
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Can someone send me the password to the member area? I am not sure if I am capturing all the observers here:

this weekend's
observer availability:
- Ellis might fly tomorrow
- Matthew is out of town as is Matt (who's flying the tater hill comp. and might be an observer soon, yeah!)
- Tom is out of town
- Laszlo is out of town
- Jim might be in town.

And like I posted earlier, you can always try to catch one of the instructors: Noah south near Charlottesville and Peter north near Harper's Ferry.
Today is a Daniel's day and tomorrow most likely a Woodstock day.
Woodstock is not a good first site for PG pilots, but come on out anyway and let me know what you think. In any case it is very pretty there and nice hiking can be had there (as at all our sites).

Protocol at Daniel's and Bill's: bring some implements of destruction and for every day you fly there, take down at least one bush/small tree.
Soodk

Post by Soodk »

Thanks for your posts Ellis. Appreciate the inputs. Will try for tomorrow instead.
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Saturday evening update:
possibly too cross from the west at Woodstock.
Might be a Dickey's day - P3+

too big of a chance of it being blown out at the Pulpit for me to make the trek up there

checking again tomorrow
-- ellis
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

too many thunderstorms and
Dickey's - too west
Woodstock - too west
Pulpit - blown out

sincerely,
goldilocks
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Heading to Woodstock - maybe I get to fly...
Hope springs eternal

-- rosy glasses
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

We had some nice evening flights at Woodstock, although there was always a W or SW cross at take off.

Not sure how P2s are going to fare at Woodstock these days. The main LZ has a lot of little calves in it and - a protective bull. I barely made it over the gate, just in front of the bull's nose. Not sure I would have made it, had I landed in the middle of the field.

So, this means you'd have to land in the bail out bridge LZ, which is about half the size of a football (soccer) field. Something to keep in mind if it looks like a good Woodstock day weather wise.

-- ellis