Daniels Sun the 17th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

sailin

Daniels Sun the 17th

Post by sailin »

Anybody considering flying Daniels tomorrow?

Jon
chuckok

Re: Daniels Sun the 17th

Post by chuckok »

Haven't been to Danies ... Directions? Waiver?

Would like to give it a try with some folks that have been out there before.
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
sailin

Post by sailin »

Chuck,
I only have a couple flights at Daniels and don't remember signing a specific waiver but I could be wrong. Someone please clarify if that is what's needed.

I am going to check in the morning to see if there is other interest for Daniels on the board but will most likely head up there either way. If others show I will fly ...if not then I'll just enjoy the view and fresh air for a while. I have to be back in Fairfax tomorrow evening for work so I will probably try to get an early afternoon flight in if conditions and other pilots warrant.

I am probably going to try and arrive around 10-1030.

As far as directions:

I think the site guide has GPS directions but here is the basics to the LZ

from the north:

take 29 south to rt 230 (wolftownhood rd) just after Madision
go through town of stanardsville and take left on rt 801

pass white church
take a right on snow mountain rd

the LZ is on the right

Jon
kcarra

Post by kcarra »

At the risk of being yelled at-- Daniel's is a H3, P3 site or H2, P2 site with Observer and one caveat-- the Observer must have flown there several times in the past-- this is rule from the landowner at launch. Also, H3s and P3s are advised to discuss landing approaches and suitable flying conditions with experienced pilots who have flown the site. The site can be EXTREMELY dangerous with a West cross wind.

Matthew
Karen Carra
mingram

Post by mingram »

I'm gonna check the forecast at 8am and make the call. I also have plans Sunday evening so would shoot for 10:30am arrival.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
sailin

Post by sailin »

Heading to Daniels.... ETA 1030..... Hopefully some people will show up and we can get some flights in :) :)

Jon
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

Snookered by family obligations ... Have fun!
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
mingram

Post by mingram »

I don't have as much energy for a repeat as I thought I would after yesterday's XC. I hope others show.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Nelson Lewis

Post by Nelson Lewis »

Daniels needs to be cut.
Nelson Lewis
Nelson Lewis (434) 996-7879
mingram

Post by mingram »

It definitely does. We brought tools yesterday, but conditions were too good to use them.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
sailin

Post by sailin »

Thank you Mr. Lewis for the info on Daniels. I was half way there. Based on Mr Lewis's post and it not looking like anybody else coming and me not having any cutting equipment..... It looks like this might not work out :( :(
I am turning around.
I need to arm myself with some cutting equip to keep in car with me...... Would have come in handy several times . Including Calvert Cliffs the other day.
If anybody can give the specifics on what kind of grooming needs to be done at Daniels then maybe we can arrange a work party ?
Was hoping for a nice mountain flight before going into work for 36 hours tonight :) maybe redeploy to some flatlands in Ridgely ????? Looked like it might be on the breezy side there?????

Oh well. Thank you again Mr Lewis for posting that, I appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jon
mingram

Post by mingram »

It's safe to launch with a good strong cycle, but very difficult in light wind - at least for a PG.

Weed whacked, loppers, and a chain saw are needed. Trees down below are the biggest concern but the brush on the sides of the slot is 6 feet tall and eats PG wings. A work party is needed.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
sailin

Post by sailin »

Just got word tha some PGers are heading out .... Turning around again and heading back to Daniels :) if nothing else just to check it out for future work party consideration.

Emotional roller coaster this morning :) :) :)
Jon
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Jon

Get a grip man.. it's only hang gliding.

:)

Danny Brotto
sailin

Post by sailin »

:) :) I'm hopelessly hooked , I can't help myself:) :)

Arrived to find PGer in LZ, also just arriving, so we loaded up in my truck and made the bumpy ride to the top........sky was looking pretty sweat already. Found light winds up top from the S with some occasional thermal cycles rolling through. He was set up and launched in no time (damn those PGs have fast set up times) and climbed up effortlessly and was out of view before long.
And there I was..........alone at the top.......all by myself.....wondering if anyone else was coming and if I should set up and be hopeful. I was sure I didn't want to launch by myself. Besides the fact of being by myself (which is enough reason for me not to launch at this point in my flying life), i was considering the shallow slope coupled with the over growth and the light wind with the occasional cycles......so I sat for a while longer and watched the sky develop into a plethora of beautiful cummies.
After about an hour I headed down to the LZ, hung out for a while there and then decided it was time to pull the plug and head home and get ready for work. Wouldn't you know it, when I hit snow mountain road I ran into Randy Weber coming in!! If I had only known!!!! Had a short chat with him and then went on my way. Will have to be another day for me.

Definitely need to get a work party with loppers, heavy duty weed whacker and chainsaw.......the place is getting over run with vegetation.

Jon
mingram

Post by mingram »

I missed the fun too, but others took advantage. Laszlo flew for 3.5 hours. Petr flew PG and Randy flew HG and both landed near Wolftown. Seems to be an easy XC. I think we should all compare our tracklogs and find out why we keep bombing out there. At least it makes for an easy retrieve. Jim, Gordon, and Ben rounded out the group.

The sky seemed perfect everywhere. I wonder how people did at BlueSky and Highland.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Petr

Post by Petr »

Matt, comparing the tracklogs is a good idea! No tracking on my vario, unfortunately
My mistake was trying to glide over the fields around 692/230 intersection toward the hill S of Wolftown. That was a sinkhole, perhaps in a lee of thermals on the W/SW side. My second mistake was changing my mind and redirecting towards the hill NE of the gas station during that glide. Although this seems a good place to get a lift for leaving the town, I arrived too low and didn't have enough nerve to ride up a strong and shifty thermal from the farm buildings W of 662. Next time I would try to avoid the fields around 692/230 and go along the hills and likely triggers either S or N of 230. Not changing my mind too often could also help.
Jon, thanks again for your selfless help with helping me to launch this Sunday! I am really sorry that you did not get to the air this time and I hope that you will get many great flights from Daniels in the future.
Petr