Saturday, June 25th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Ward Odenwald

Saturday, June 25th

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Yesterday, the forecast was a definite Pulpit. Today, it's a maybe Pulpit – maybe Woodstock. I’m verklempted! Talk amongst yourselves.

Ward
XCanytime

Re: Saturday, June 25th

Post by XCanytime »

I will be at the Pulpit around 3P+ after having to work in the AM. Forecasted to back down nicely after 5P. Should still be a bit breezy all the way till sunset. Looks like there will be some good leftovers Sunday in the AM and early PM before going north. Looking to get late PM flight and early AM flight. Bacil
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

I would be interested in either place. Prefer WS as it is closer, but will see where others want to go. Would be great to get another, maybe longer, soaring flight ...
~Ann
WillBear Wright for Flight '87
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

I tried my translator program set on German to English and got that "verklempt" translates as "verklempt". So I guess I'm verklempted as well.
Brian Vant-Hull
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

"I’m verklempted! Talk amongst yourselves." -> from "Coffee Talk". SNL at its best! The morning forecasts are still suggesting that both the Pulpit and Woodstock will be decent tomorrow. I'm leaning toward going to the Pulpit but if the wind speed forecasts move higher then I'm still verklempted. Ward
deveil

Post by deveil »

and i thought I was obscure. :shock:
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

:lol:
garyDevan
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Main Entry:
verklempt
Part of Speech:
adj
Definition:
overcome with emotion; clenched; also written ferklempt
Etymology:
Yiddish

I think I will lean toward WS, for the sake of time.

~A
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Convenience and time ideally should not be the determining factors on where to fly. The site with the optimum and safer conditions (launch: direction, speed, type of launch, and LZ: grass height, crops, etc.) should be the place to fly. Yes it will be out of hand for most Hang 2s at the Pulpit launch tomorrow for most of the day. But at the end of the day it is going to be so nice and launchable for most Hang 2s, and soarable till sunset. And straight in at launch all day. Don't know about the winds aloft: Falcon penetration issues, but I don't anticipate any major issues there. Bacil
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I am likely to head to Woodstock Saturday. Looks like it could be light but worth a shot.

Joe
rasmussenv

Post by rasmussenv »

Actually, per Nostepper, winds aloft at Pulpit look like they get stronger after about 2pm (1800z) and 2pm looks like the prime time. I realize that evening often mellows out, but that is not always the case, and not what nostepper is showing for Pulpit tomorrow. I'm watching ... want to fly ... but if I go to Pulpit, with my Falcon I would want to go earlier rather than later, if it looks flyable early.
Valerie
rasmussenv

Post by rasmussenv »

Also - not stuck on Pulpit, I'm liking the looks of Woodstock throughout the afternoon - and would be happy to go for that if others will be there.
Valerie
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

I'm going to try for afternoon at WS if I can get permission from the boss :roll:
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
garys

Post by garys »

I have a very narrow time window to fly in tomorrow so I am going to try WS. ETA 1:00.

Gary
Home; 540-955-3956
Cell 540-686-0351
Work- 540-535-7590
Gary Smith
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

For me, the Pulpit is the place tomorrow (based on wind speed and direction). ETA 10:30.
stevek

Post by stevek »

I think I will do WS
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

Anyone know the LZ situation @ WS?
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Currently forecast at WS show WNW 14 mph at launch til 4pm, backing down after that. Winds aloft to 48k are relatively consistant between 17-20 knts. Looks similar to the last time I got a good flight there.
Winds at Pulpit forecast West with same numbers. Also good. Both sites could get nice glass-off...
Thinking of arriving at WS LZ (bridge field?) around 4pm, for evening flight in smooth air. Might go take a look at primary first to see if it has been mowed. My son will be with me.
Observers?

~Ann
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Would someone please check out the normal LZ and if it is not mowed ask the tenant in the house what the situation is and please report back to the forum? Thanks.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

The site guide says Lynn Fishburn is the landowner. Is that current, Do we have a phone. # for her? I could call in the a.m..
mingram

Post by mingram »

I have friends coming in town this afternoon, but I'm thinking about
getting in an early flight at Woodstock. The forecast backed down a bit. Anyone else going early?
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
rasmussenv

Post by rasmussenv »

As Matt observed, the winds have backed down a bit, but (per nostepper) during large parts of the day they seem likely to be W at Woodstock, and as much as I like that site for its beauty and proximity, I'm now inclined to go Pulpit. The winds are also forecast to be slightly lower at Pulpit (within my Falcon comfort zone through most of the day), and well within its launch direction .... maybe I will FINALLY reach the primary! About 7 flights there and all have been sleds into the secondary. Of course all seven took place on just two days!
Valerie
rasmussenv

Post by rasmussenv »

Well ... just saw only Ward and Bacil have signed up for Pulpit, so if others don't speak up, I may go for Woodstock and keep my fingers crossed about the wind direction being acceptable, since there seem to be more folks there. Will try to post again before I actually head out in a couple hours ...
Valerie
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

I am still in for Woodstock. Probably try to get there around 1. Grass in LZ was high about ten days ago. I don't know what it looks like at the moment. Corn is growing in the bridge field.

Joe
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Still headed to the Pulpit. Wind direction is almost 90 degrees to the ridge and the speed has backed off a tad (15knots) at launch. NoStepper is showing almost due west at WS for most of the day including the late afternoon. Not an ideal direction.