Blue Sky Video

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

cdonahue

Blue Sky Video

Post by cdonahue »

Here's some footage from my last few trips down to Blue Sky (HD & full screen recommended for full glory!):

It's a combination of stills, time lapse (a technique I've been fascinated with lately), and good old GoPro video. Big thanks to Steve and the gang down there (especially Peter for not mooning the camera :wink: )

--Chris
jclaytor

Re: Blue Sky Video

Post by jclaytor »

Good job on the layout of the video.
Makes me wish to be airborne right now.
RichH

Post by RichH »

Great job on the video..I missed that day!! Wish I was there..Rich
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

SHWEET!!!!!
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
PKane

Post by PKane »

Fantastic job Chris!
Peter Kane
H4 WW T2C 154
Appointments OBS TAND INST
AT FL LGO PL ST TAT TPL AWCL
CL FSL RLF TUR XC
AcTiOnJaCkSoN

Post by AcTiOnJaCkSoN »

Awesome video man!
I love the time lapse in the beginning.
Dustin
mingram

Post by mingram »

I need to get down to Blue Sky more! Great video!

I noticed a few names in this thread I haven't met before. I guess a year and a half of flying isn't long enough to meet all the "local" pilots since we have a wide area and a variety of sites and conditions that favor one wing or another. I've even met a few local pilots through Vimeo/YouTube, but I can't put a name to a face when the camera is mounted on the helmet (which I'm guilty of). Maybe we should start tagging our videos with #chgpa, or just build a local channel. Anyone have ideas?

I just checked the roster and count 13 people registered in Arlington! Arlington is home to more CHGPA members than any other city! Maybe we need to schedule a happy hour. Anyone interested? I'd be nice to meet new local pilots to hear what kind of air people are getting. Videos work well for pilots that don't live in the immediate area, but videos require a bit of work to put together and I'm lazy. Everyone usually has a GPS tracklog of their flights though. A google map with tracklogs would be cool to map out where people are getting air, but we'd need a single database upload our GPS tracklogs to. I could start uploading to Leonardo, but that's PG only for some reason. Is there an online tracklog DB for hang gliders?

Chris - is Blue Sky your usual site?
JClaytor - I assume you're a Blue Sky local since you're in Richmond - do you fly the mountains?
PKane - where do you fly?
Dustin - have you been able to start taking hang lessons?

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

You can post your flight n igc format on the OLC (On Line Contest.) The sailplane guys use this alot; the HG/PG to a much lesser extent... maybe you could start a trend?

Danny Brotto

http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/pa ... c&c=C0&sc=
AcTiOnJaCkSoN

Post by AcTiOnJaCkSoN »

Hey, yes I have. I am learning at blue sky right now, funny thing is didn't even realize but I am in one of the photos of his video lol. I'm on the blue sky falcon
Dustin
PKane

Post by PKane »

Hey Matt, I just looked at my info on the right side of my post and realized it's 3 years old. I'm in Sandston VA. (Richmond) I'm the tandem pilot for Steve. That's my T2C in the time lapse pics. I get up to Woodstock every now and then. I have to tell you I'm pretty spoiled living 30 min. from Blue Sky. Come on down and see us!
Peter
Peter Kane
H4 WW T2C 154
Appointments OBS TAND INST
AT FL LGO PL ST TAT TPL AWCL
CL FSL RLF TUR XC
mingram

Post by mingram »

I definitely will. I did some towing with my paraglider there a month ago and I'm planning to come back soon. My parent's house is 6.5 miles SSW of Blue Sky and just inside the RIC airspace. One day I'm going to launch from Blue Sky and land next to my parent's house. To stay out of airspace I'd have to be below 1400 ft for the last 1/2 mile or so, but that's totally doable.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu