WS tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

garys

WS tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon

Post by garys »

Looking like a good afternoon at WS tomorrow. (Thursday) I will be there at 4:00. Any interest?
Gary
W 540-535-7590
H 540-966-3956
Cell 540-686-0351
Gary Smith
uplandann

Re: WS tomorrow (Thurs) afternoon

Post by uplandann »

Interested...
"But that's not what's troubling me: its HOW to do it. These things must be done delicately..."
WillBear Wright for Flight '87
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Thinking of going to Long Hill in the morning-pm, then over to Woodstock around 4 pm...

Ann
540-414-4550
Roger

Post by Roger »

uplandann wrote:Interested...
"But that's not what's troubling me: its HOW to do it. These things must be done delicately..."

DITTO

I'm thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, thinking, ...
Roger
25two-67three--eight eight95 c
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Definitely interested, will see how the forecast is in the morning. c (202)409-2574
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

It was a beautiful June 2nd afternoon... Winds coming in strong at first but backed down after 6pm. Gary S., Bacil, Bruce, Shawn, Jon, John M. and I showed up. Bruce brought his wife Rita and son. Gary brought his friend Eric, who is familiar with sailing and curious about flying. Several pilots launched between 6:15 and 6:45. Everyone had nice soaring flights in buttery smooth ridge lift. So smooth you could have been 'sipping lemonade'.

At around 6:45 I had a strong launch into a moderate cycle and had no trouble getting above launch on my first pass. After several more passes, I was several hundred feet over and the air was smooth and so much fun to fly in. I could relax and drink in the view and look down on the tower for the first time..Yay! After getting nice and high over the ridge (well, slightly in front of it as instructed) I headed out to the bridge field (grass waist-high in main LZ). I was flying along waiting to get closer to the bridge field, the bar slightly faster than trim, I think. But not getting very far and getting lower. I could hear Bacil's voice on the radio (wish I had hooked up my PTT so I could figure out if he was talking to me or not). Sometimes it doesn't matter; if I'm really focused on flying, processing a lot of words into meaning is very difficult... Eventually I figured out he was trying to talk to me, and I had trouble understanding his words with the wind in my ears, I turned my head to hear better, but by that time he had stopped talking. I looked down at my ground track and noticed that I was not making any progress, crap. The battery in my wrist vario had died earlier that day, so I didn't know how low I was. As I was getting lower, and looking at my glide angle, I figured I needed to get there a little faster and started to speed up. When I got to the house on the corner, I was about 100 or so feet over the house, and made the LZ with about 75 feet. A bit close for comfort, made an s-turn, little turbulence near the wind shadow of the treeline turned to final and had a happy landing. Got about a 30 minute flight. My longest soaring flight! WhooHoo! :D

Thanks to everyone who crewed for me and gave gentle encouragement. Thankyou Bacil for observing my flight and for the coaching and mentoring before and after my flight. I learned a good lesson about speeds to fly (s2f). Thanks to Bruce's wife Rita (I think) who gave us a ride up to retrieve our cars. Thanks to Jon who gave me a ride down then up after I forgot my keys. Oops. Will try not to do that again.

~Ann