Pulpit Fly-In 2011 : Now Scheduled For June 18-19

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

davidtheamazing1

Pulpit Fly-In 2011 : Now Scheduled For June 18-19

Post by davidtheamazing1 »

Dear All,
We took a good look at the forecast this weekend and realized that it is not going to work for the CHGPA Festival. With rain predicted for both days and strong possibility of marginal flying conditions, the board decided to move everything back to June 18-19.

This is also Fathers day weekend, so please bring your pa, or Dads: bring your families. It will surely be flyable, a bit warmer, and awesome for camping out.

For alternative plans for this weekend, the High Rock Ramp Project is needing your help, so please see the this thread for information about that.

FYI, the Pulpit site is always open to CHGPA/MHGA members for camping and flying, so feel free to camp out in hope for what might be a good Bills Hill adventure.

Please RSVP on Facebook or here for this new date.
davidtheamazing1

Re: Pulpit Fly-In 2011 : Now Scheduled For June 18-19

We're still planning the same great event...

Saturday, June 18 at 10:30am - June 19 at 7:30pm

Pulpit Launch
18734 Lincoln Highway
McConnellsburg, Pennsylvania

We may change the flying venues during the event to accommodate wind forecasts.

Featuring:
* Fantastic views (suitable for spectating and photography)
* 2 days to fly with the birds (certified P2+, H2+ rated pilots)
* Observer(s) for beginner (P2, H2) pilots
* Sat night potluck party
* Saturday Night Campout (Friday camp-out Optional)
(sure bets: campfire, stilt walking, frisbee, guitar pickin, etc)
* scenic drives through the Allegheny range
* Renew your club membership or sign-up to officially join!
* Donate to the pulpit fund to support the HR Ramp renovation

--------------
Schedule:
Friday night camp-out (optional)

Saturday
Launches are usually between 11am until 4:30pm
Party: starts at 6:30
Camp-out

Sunday
Breakfast
Launches are usually between 11am until 4:30pm
--------------

We are going to go pot-luck style, so please RSVP and say what you are bringing...

food & drink:
Main courses
Sides
Dessert
Beer
Wine
Sodas
Other

Some special requests:
Lantern
Extra table
Plates/Napkins/cups/etc

If everybody pitches in, we can have a great party, do some flying, and show how much we value free flight.

As Mark noted, there is lots more general info on the club website: http://www.chgpa.org/HGFest/hgfest.html

RSVP on Facebook or here
markc

Post by markc »

With the postponement of the fly-in, there might now be enough time to put together a raffle, which can help to encourage turn-out even if the weather doesn't cooperate with good flying conditions. Chris, it seemed like you were pretty motivated to help organize things a couple of weeks ago.... Are you still willing to do so? Maybe a PG'er would also be willing to help out? I'll do what I can, web-related or otherwise. We've got 2+ weeks available.

MarkC
davidtheamazing1

We already have a great centerpiece item for the raffle: a WW glider at cost, courtesy of MD school of HG
mingram

Post by mingram »

I'm picking up firewood from Gary tonight. If it looks flyable on Friday I'll head up early.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Post by mingram »

Got the wood. I'm bringing a propane lantern and the "Quik Shade" (donated to the club by Amy).

We need some charcoal.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Fortunately, whatever we don't bring will be available in town.

Here's my plea on garbage: We really don't have a good way of dealing with it. So, if everyone could bring one garbage bag and bring it home even half full, that will go a long way toward cleaning up.

We used to have deal where we could use one of the local dumpsters, but that ended years ago.
David Bodner
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Maureen and I are staying at Cowans Gap state park. We will be there this afternoon. I think we are in site #86. We have a big Winnebago Motorhome and a black Jeep. I'm bring a weed whacker if I can get it to work. I'll stop by the Pulpit once I get the MH set up.

Dan
John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

I will bring charcoal. Also, I endorse David Bodner's plea for everyone to bring a garbage bag and take it away at least half full.
John Dullahan
deveil

Post by deveil »

Additional firewood will need to be lugged up to the pulpit, so if anyone else wants to stop by and pick some up. . .
i also would not trash the idea of bagging out the refuse.
garyDevan
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

John reports that the grill is gone. So, please someone bring a charcoal grill. Something from your backyard that you were thinking of replacing would be perfect. It could be left at the Pulpit.

John brought charcoal and fluid.
David Bodner
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Another report from John: the firepit area was overgrown, so he has been attacking it with a "hand weedwhacker" (scythe? sickle?) and getting blisters. There are also brambles in the set-up/camping area. Could whoever has the club weedwhacker bring it? - Hugh
deveil

Post by deveil »

if there is still a need for a blade trimer tomorrow, post and i will bring mine.
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

if there is still a need for a blade trimer tomorrow, post and i will bring mine.
also, if a full grill isn't available, if someone simply has a wire grill - that could be improvised.
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

. . . :idea: i will pull the grates from my grill and bring them, as could others.
garyDevan
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Please don't bring firewood in from outside the immediate area. All of the state parks including nearby Cowans Gap are pleading with visitors to discontinue this practice. Invasive insects are hitching rides in the firewood and creating blights where they didn't previously exist.

Dan
sailin

Post by sailin »

Back in town and hoping to fly :) Amy and I are heading up this morning. Unfortunately only can stay for the day (work tomorrow). Looking forward to seeing you all!!

Jon
deveil

Post by deveil »

i hear ya, Dan
garyDevan
carweill

Post by carweill »

Will try to head out in half hour

Carlos
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Will be arriving around 4pm. Had to work this morning. Hope to get an evening flight in. Hope the 4:30 launch rule isn't written in stone.. Looking forward to seeing everybody and fireworks. My son will be with me.
Bringing cookies.

Ann
WillBear Wright for Flight '87
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Look what happened above the ridge!
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Epic Party... Awesome!

Ann
carweill

Post by carweill »

It was good to see a lot of people. From the traffic in the forum it wasn't apparent that many would show up.
We even managed to conduct a short club meeting.
Mark and Matt gave it the final touch with the fireworks.

We collected $269 for the rescue squad from raffle tickets, donations and visitors.
Thanks to everyone

Carlos
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I just want to add my personal thanks to all those (John D., Valerie, Rich B., Karen, Matthew, Matt, Ellis, John H., Mark, Alex) who saw through my bravado and helped me in my enfeebled condition. It's hard to admit you need help and having someone volunteer makes it easier. All those helping hands made it an enjoyable day and evening for me instead of an ordeal. Thanks and great to see everyone!

The club is looking really good with the recent chute clinic, site maintenance/improvement projects, party and, of course, the successful fly-in. The volunteerism of old and new hands is what makes it all possible - and fun for everyone. A special word of thanks to John Middleton, who weed-whacked repeatedly on Saturday - and to John Dullahan, who used a "hand weed-whacker" (sickle? machete?) Friday to the point of blisters! Gary continues to cover himself with glory. What a great buncha folks!

- Hugh
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Awsome get-together, and fireworks! So great to see so many pilots and finally meet more people, whom I've only seen on the forum. I was glad to see that my son had a good time. Forgive me, but there was a family there also, and I'm going to take a crack at the names, but I may have remembered incorrectly: Craig, Sheila, and two girls? Thanks for the smores!
Hugh, great to see you as a two-legged. :)
Thank You Jonh Dullahan for sticking with me on launch (and for the wine after). Although the wind decided to shut me out of sharing the spirit of flight with my brothers and sisters at the pulpit yesterday, with the help of John D., Rich Miller and Matt Ingram I was able to get Two nice sleds at Bills Hill. Eventhough the dreaded 'C' word (catabatic) came up at Bills as well, when we got back to launch after our first flight, we were blessed with a breeze blowing into the hill again as well as in the LZ. Rich M. also got a flight in, on his paraglider (nice flightsuit, btw). Nice gaggle of pilots got sleds earlier there too, including Jeremy, winner of the HG raffle. Also, thanks Jesse for giving my son a ride to meet me.

Ann