Saturday - Daniels?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jyoder111

Saturday - Daniels?

Post by jyoder111 »

Anyone up for flying this weekend? Saturday looks possible for Daniels. I'm seeing SW 8-12 at 1700ft. What do you think?
rasmussenv

Re: Saturday - Daniels?

Post by rasmussenv »

Between rain and risk of thunderstorms, I'm not optimistic about Saturday. I think Sunday afternoon looks possible, per nostepper. I haven't flown Daniel's before, so if someone who knows it agrees it looks good for Sunday and wants to fly then (and give me a site brief), I'd love to go - and have this new site be my first as an H3!
Valerie
jyoder111

Post by jyoder111 »

Thunderstorms don't usually stick around very long. Only a 30 percent chance of rain tomorrow afternoon and it looks like south winds 10mph at 1000ft and 15mph at 1700ft. That looks pretty good to me!
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

Steve K and I went down to Daniels and drove though some light rain on the road up to the top. Things cleared off and it started to come in Steve launched off and got an extendo.

Next up was Dave the PG guy and he had the same after waiting 40 minutes for a cycle.

I sat on launch waiting for close to 2 hours but I was rewarded with the flight of the day, 25 minutes and 250 over max.

Fresh from the UK Felix another PG guy was off after me and landed a few minuites before I did.

The launch really needs work as it's very overgrown. I have never seen it this bad... I'd say it's about a 1/4 of it's normal size and the trees are also growing high about 3/4 of the way down the slot. :(

A good thing was regular gas was $3.55 at the Sheetz at the 29 turn off to Standardsville. :mrgreen:

Pete
uplandann

Sunday - Daniels?

Post by uplandann »

Yep pretty overgrown. Went over to see if I could clear some brush, but I just didn't have the right tools. Need a weed wacker or machete for the smaller stuff. But the 'little' trees at the bottom of the slot have gotten at least a foot taller since April: most of this foliage, but it might be one of those "trees of paradise" that grow pretty fast in the summer, I don't know. Anyway, speaking for myself (H-2 Falcon) I wouldn't feel comfortable launching in much less than 8mph straight in.

~Ann
WillBear Wright for Flight '87