re: KHK Hang Gliding Spectacular 2011

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jyoder111

re: KHK Hang Gliding Spectacular 2011

Post by jyoder111 »

I spent the weekend down at Jockey's Ridge at the 2011 Hang Gliding Spectacular put on by Kitty Hawk Kites. It was a blast! Friday was mostly SW and with just enough punch in it to make the west dune flyable. We got in two rounds of spot landing and then a team relay speed challenge. Saturday we spent an hour or two waiting while wind blew in from the water on both sides of the peninsula, then it cleared off and was a great east wind day on the big dune. Sunday was SE, which made for some rotor around the spot because of some scrub trees and bushes, but we still got in three rounds of spot landing.
I met a bunch of great pilots, especially Bob (Fling?), a student from Lookout who graciously let me fly not one, but two! of his pristine gliders-- a Northwing Horizon ET 180 and THE one and only Freedom 170 w/ full Mylar, WW down tubes+speed bar, and cross-bar fairings that won the Texas Single Surface Shootout (flown by Davis Straub - last year?). Bob ended up turning an ankle on the first day and didn't fly the rest of the weekend, but still lent me his gliders, AND helped carry them out and set them up. I was concerned about Bob's choice to subject his gliders to the sand and sun, especially if he wasn't flying, but he insisted. Talk about generosity!

It was a great education for me- flying the different gliders. I flew the Horizon the first two days and I guess Bob thought I was flying well enough to get a day with his baby. Handling differences was what you would expect. I actually flew better on the double-surface Horizon than the single-surface Freedom. The base tube at trim on the Freedom is a good bit forward of where it is on a Falcon and the Horizon, and I often ended up flying fast and overshooting. I've read a little about pilots changing wires to move the bar back to a more "normal" position. The Freedom was very smooth and launched and landed like butter.

A highlight of the weekend was "cheating" on the speed run team relay by flying the almost straight-line course with the Horizon on half VG while everyone else was flying Falcons, Pulses, or the equivalent. I got recruited by a band of misfits and we ended up tied with Paul Voight's team the first day ;)

I'm looking forward to returning next year for the 40th Spectacular!
uplandann

Re: re: KHK Hang Gliding Spectacular 2011

Post by uplandann »

Cool! Sounds so fun. Glad you had a good time.
WillBear Wright for Flight '87
silverwings

Re: re: KHK Hang Gliding Spectacular 2011

Post by silverwings »

Sounds like a good experience for you. Was wondering where you were last weekend.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c