GoogleEarth

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Spark

GoogleEarth

Post by Spark »

During my recent stay at the King Mountain meet, Ernie Camacho showed me Google Earth, a unique flight planning and analysis tool.

Essentially, it allows 3D browsing of the earth, complete with annotation and layes such as roads, borders, etc etc.

http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/

Ernie had a laptop with the software and had 'cached' the King Mtn area so he could demo the sw without an interconnection. He had loaded in the King competition route waypoints, bonus LZ locations, and graphic overpays depicting some nearby airspace restrictions. He used it to brief the pilots on the routes, known hazards, etc.

I have subscribed to the 'plus' version, which allows for uploading and viewing of GPS tracks in 3D.

I have spent some time creating folders of 'placemarks' for flying sites. Such information is easily stored in files and exchanged between google earth users.
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

Holly and I were checking out Google Earth and agreed, it's pretty impressive...except we were disappointed in the lack of high-resolution imagery for many of the areas we searched. Have you (or anyone) found this to be an issue? (e.g. what resolution were the images of King Mountain?)

We'll definitely play with it some more---sounds like a great feature set!

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Playing with Google Earth more now. Regarding resolution, if I "fly" to 4K over Blue Sky (a reasonable hang gliding altitude), the image resolution is pretty bad (as if seen underwater). To get to a decent image quality, I have to catch the monster thermal of all time and climb to about 30K before the blurriness goes away.

I still think it's an awesome app (DeLorme, look out!)...I just wish the resolution were better!

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

Okay, I'm geekin' out with Google Earth. :) (I have better things to do, but this is too cool!)

Check out the "GForce Navigation Mode" by pressing Control+G. The cursor changes to a little airplane, and the mouse pad behaves like a joystick. Now, zoom WAY in, then tilt the terrain...you can get some awesome "flying views" of terrain (I was just flying over Woodstock).

Now I just want to figure out how to actually fly forward in joystick mode---so far, I can only control roll and pitch, but don't go anywhere. :( The motion is beautifully fluid though! (You can easily move forward in airspace by switching to "Trackball Navigation", or Ctrl+T...but it's not the smooth, fluid motion.)

Scott
Spark

Post by Spark »

The point to consider is the future value of the technology offerred. You will find that the resolution varies with area. Try zooming over DC. Rest assured that the resolution will improve as new aerial and satellite imagery is obtained, and as technology improves. If there is a demand, there will be a product.

As for 'flying' ... I have found that a quick release of the mouse after a drag motion will cause the view to scroll continuously, in a flight-like mode. There are many other things to learn about this software, for those who care to RTFM (i.e. read the manual)

Suggestions ...

Check out everest ... search for place katmandu, nepal and look for Lohtse, tilt and pan.

Someone who did this grabbed some screenshots at ... http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/byankive ... lFrame.htm

Also, suggest ... go to the keyhole (previous name for google earth) bbs

http://bbs.keyhole.com/

and pull down the Tour de France files. You can 'tour' stage 15, if you are so inclined ...

Once you have downloaded and opened a '.kmz' file, you can 'tour' it and effectively follow the course (from a nice vantage point).

I am hoping that those who are interested in this tool might wish to collaborate and share KMZ files, potentially contributing to a 'world site guide'.
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

HELP! I'm trapped in Google Earth! :o I just searched for directions from Holly's house to mine. Then, by selecting the route and clicking the "Play Tour" button, Google Earth literally flies the entire route at 2600' --- I was mesmerized, like a deer in the headlights!

Wicked cool, and kicks the snot out of Mapquest, DeLorme. etc.! :)

This is a killer app, and if they can beef up the high-res imagery, it would rule the universe. LOL

Scott

PS - I think I'm actually Google-Earthed-Out...but there's lots more to explore later...
Scott

Post by Scott »

Spark wrote:The point to consider is the future value of the technology offerred. You will find that the resolution varies with area. Try zooming over DC. Rest assured that the resolution will improve as new aerial and satellite imagery is obtained, and as technology improves. If there is a demand, there will be a product.
True---I zoomed right down to Holly's rooftop in Dumfries, Virginia!
As for 'flying' ... I have found that a quick release of the mouse after a drag motion will cause the view to scroll continuously, in a flight-like mode.
The Ctrl+G mode could be very powerful for "flying" routes if you practice with it. Left-click-hold while mousing controls roll/pitch...while right-click-hold while mousing controls forward/reverse acceleration/deceleration.
Suggestions ...
Uh-oh...I may have to wait on checking these out 'til tomorrow! :)
I am hoping that those who are interested in this tool might wish to collaborate and share KMZ files, potentially contributing to a 'world site guide'.
I agree! This could be the ultimate site guide tool!

Scott
breezyk1d

google earth

Post by breezyk1d »

to fly the plane in Gforce mode, use the cursor arrow buttons. -Linda
breezyk1d

google earth

Post by breezyk1d »

That is completely awesome! What a program! Whoohoo!
Scott

Post by Scott »

I definitely think we should all push to standardize on Google Earth for any/all info on flying sites, XC routes, etc. I've continued messing around with it and continue to be impressed...

For example, I created a map of Virginia with a Placemark for Blue Sky. Then, I added descriptive info (hyperlinked website address, email, GPS coordinates, etc.). Then I added a georeferenced image overlay that retrieves a live NOAA weather radar image from the web for most of Virginia. Then I added a photo of Blue Sky to the Placemark.

The possibilities go on and on. Best of all, once you've created a custom map, it's all saved as a package in a single KMZ file that you can email to other Google Earth users. They can open your map and merge it with their own, pick and choose what elements of your map they want, etc.

Scott
Spark

KML

Post by Spark »

KML - 'Keyhole Markup Language' Keyhole was the previous product name for the Google Earth viewer

http://www.keyhole.com/kml/kml_tut.html

I've pasted the contents of a KML file below, describing a view of Jean Ridge - a site near Las Vegas that I flew with my paraglider last Sunday evening. To use the information, past the content below into a file with a .KML extension, then open it with Goiogle earth.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<Document>
<name>JeanRidge.kml</name>
<Style id="khStyle696">
<LineStyle id="khLineStyle699">
<antialias>0</antialias>
</LineStyle>
<PolyStyle id="khPolyStyle698">
<fill>0</fill>
<outline>0</outline>
</PolyStyle>
<IconStyle id="khIconStyle700">
<Icon>
<href>root://icons/palette-4.png</href>
<x>160</x>
<y>128</y>
<w>32</w>
<h>32</h>
</Icon>
<scale>0.5</scale>
</IconStyle>
<LabelStyle id="khLabelStyle702">
<scale>0.5</scale>
</LabelStyle>
</Style>
<Placemark>
<name>Jean Ridge</name>
<LookAt id="khLookAt582">
<longitude>-115.2124948187272</longitude>
<latitude>35.81190322613557</latitude>
<range>2416.85856432948</range>
<tilt>-4.620779358520321e-011</tilt>
<heading>0.06459900045246901</heading>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>#khStyle696</styleUrl>
<Point id="khPoint583">
<coordinates>-115.2130385577975,35.80777555521925,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</Document>
</kml>
'Spark
Spark

Google Earth

Post by Spark »

Ernie Camacho provides some good advice concerning Google Earth

http://ozreport.com/9.154#4
'Spark
stevek

Post by stevek »

Yep. I tried to look up Ridgely with it and it was very low resolution. Maybe if you pay money to google it gets better?