Hugh

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

hang_pilot

Hugh

Post by hang_pilot »

From his Facebook page, 4/19/11, 7:06pm

I was observing Ann Dunlap on hang gliding yesterday at Daniels. She had her first soaring flight! I launched my paraglider after she landed . Had a good flight, got to 600 over.Came out to land after 25 minutes. LZ was light but not scary. At 20 feet the glider surged in front of me and I pounded in hard. I broke both legs at boot top with open fracture of tibia on right.Broke right wrist and shattered L1 vertebra. Ann handled the emergency superbly. ER squad immediately ordered a helicopter. I am in UVA hospital. Nine hours to reconstruct vertebra and reduce open fracture. Just had filter installed in vena cava to prevent blood clots from invading lungs. Further surgeries coming for both legs and wrist. I can wiggle my toes!! Thanks for all the good wishes - Hugh (scribe -Sallie)

~Daniel
Danny Brotto

Re: Hugh

Post by Danny Brotto »

Can someone post (or PM me) Hugh's home address please.

Thanks,
Danny Brotto
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

dammit. very typical of him to first describe Ann's flight before getting to his multiple injuries...ho-hum, another day another bone broken. I wonder if they'll allow cell phones in his ward? guess poor Sally will have to field his calls at home for a while.
Brian Vant-Hull
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Okay, it's a bit long, but hey, I've got to do something "useful" with all this adrenaline.

Accident Report.
Pilot: Hugh McElrath, H-4, P3
Witness perspective: by Ann Dunlap
18th April 2011 approximately 2pm
Cloud cover: partly cloudy/sunny, high stratus
Wind: SSE 5-10 mph in LZ
Temperature: about 80 deg. F
Beautiful Spring Day
A large windsock (60”) was set up in the LZ.
I don't know the type of paraglider, or other equipment, except that he was wearing a full face helmet.
The events listed are not in precise order, but in general order as best as I can remember.

Hugh had met me to observe my flight. The road going up was ruttier than usual and muddy in places due to heavy storms the Saturday before. I had walked up the road to check it before driving up with Hugh, and we had a good drive up.
It was a beautiful spring day, and we admired the spectacular view of spring flowers and bright green foliage from launch. Winds at launch were 5-10 generally out of the SSE; gentle thermal cycles coming through. The sky was overcast as first, then it began to get sunny. I launched my Falcon 140 into a nice thermal cycle. My new wrist vario telling it. My flight was good, as I had my longest soaring flight there of about 9-10 minutes. And got 150' over launch for the first time. I arrived at the LZ with about 220 feet and set up an S-turn approach for my landing. I pulled in hard and had a good landing heading SSE in the main LZ. After landing I radioed that I was on the ground. Shortly after that Hugh launched his paraglider and soared for a while. I moved my glider over to the other side of the hill near the gate, and started to break down my glider.

He had flown approximately 20 minutes in light ridge lift. Flight was uneventful as he set up his landing. I stopped working with my glider to observe his approach. I saw his downwind and base approach. Downwind leg was clean. Then, pilot began his base leg. At approximately 15-20 feet above the ground, he was turning into the wind on his base/final glide. He was descending very slowly at first with a SW heading facing me. I noticed a wing tip curling under as he attempted to turn on final glide heading SSE, wing tip straightened and then the other wing tip curled under. Glider oscillated and yawed somewhat during this. Upon turning to final glide, I think both wing tips may have been curled under at one point, and I hoped he would be able to fully inflate before landing. Glider pitched forward and descended quickly, and then glider was obscured by the hill. A second or two later, I heard him hit the ground hard, then heard him grunt a loud “ohh”.

My first thought was that he had landed face-first. My second thought was "I hope it sounded worse than it is". I ran immediately over and saw my friend still lying on the ground, somewhat on his left side. He had landed at the top of the 'gully' part of the feild. I called out to him to talk to me, could he speak to me. After a few seconds, and asking for a second time for him to talk to me, he said “I feel like I’ve had the breath knocked out of me”. I asked him how he landed. He said ‘on my back’. He said he remembered “the glider pitching forward for some reason.” I told him to remain still and not to move. I unhooked him first from his glider, rolled it up as he instructed me to, and then unbuckled his harness.
I left his helmet and harness on, as I would have the emergency personnel remove these. Then asked if he could feel his legs. He said yes. I asked if he had any pain anywhere and he said his lower back. He was very calm and not expressing any extreme pain. As I inspected his legs I saw something I did not expect.
I noticed above his ankle (I think it was his right) had, what I now know is, a very bad open/compound fracture, completely broken through with at least three inches of bone showing at the end of his pant leg; it looked to be his shin (tibia) bone. His booted foot was dangling from the end of the leg. My dear friend would not be walking off the field today.

After figuring out what I was looking at I said, something like, ‘okay, your leg is hurt pretty bad, I’m calling 911’. He asked very curiously in a calm voice, “Oh, is it a compound fracture?” I said I did not know (I didn’t). But at the same time I didn’t want to alarm him by describing it or anything. I kept telling him he needed to lay still. I knew that if his fall had done this to his leg, that more serious injuries were possible. I knew that I needed to keep him as still has possible to minimize any other possible traumas, especially to his spine. I remembered this much from some EMT training years ago. I was also concerned about blood loss from the break.

After spending a couple of minutes trying to find the zipper of the pocket that had his phone, I tried to use it, it had no buttons, and he very calmly was telling me how to use it. But I couldn’t see the display in the glare of the sunlight, and felt it was taking too long to see what to do and understand his instructions, so I told him I was going to go get my phone. I ran back to where my glider was (near the gate) got my phone and called 911 while walking quickly back to Hugh. At first I could not remember the name of the road when asked. I knew it had the word ‘snow’ in it.

Then, I called his wife, Sallie, and briefed her on the event, and that he was being airlifted to UVA hospital.
After letting him know that the ambulance was on the way, he asked to have his arms removed from the harness straps. Hesitantly, and wanting him to be more comfortable, I did so, very carefully, for he had also said his lower back was sore. I was afraid to move him in case he had an injury to his back or neck. It was as this point of removing his right arm from the harness strap that he said his wrist looked distorted, I looked and confirmed this, and felt it for heat, and there was no heat or redness. His wrist felt cool. I reminded him not to move. At times I would glance at his broken leg and take note of the rate of blood loss, which seemed to be a slow drip. I also regularly monitored him for shock.
As some point he requested his sunglasses, and when I could not find them, he asked for his eyeglasses. After folding up his glider and taking it back to his car per his request, it was about this time that the ambulance showed up. And I brought his glasses to him and put them on his face.
I checked him again for shock as he looked pale; asking him if he was warm enough, and feeling his skin, and he said and he was warm, which he was and was sweating a little.

I did leave the pilot a couple of times: each time for a couple of minutes: once to get my phone and once to put his glider in his car. At this time paramedics had arrived and begun to care for him. While the medics were with him I worked to putting the rest of his gear in his car.
At this time, I made calls to arrange my child to be picked up, as I thought I might need to go to the hospital.
About 10 minutes after the ambulance arrived, beacons were set up. I asked if a helicopter were coming, and the EMT said yes. Shortly after, the helicopter came. At this time cows were beginning to enter the field. I closed the gate and herded the cows, including a reluctant bull, to the other side of the field away from the helicopter. The cows stayed out of the way until after the helicopter/ ambulance had left, thank goodness. I closed the gate after the vehicles had left the field.
Medics removed his jacket and shoes, and found his sunglasses which I put in his glasses case in his car. They had braced and wrapped his leg, stabilized his neck and wrist, and were working on bracing his back.
Blood loss at the break site was one of my concerns, but there seemed to be very little, and this was confirmed by the paramedic (I think. I’m not sure who I asked). But he said blood loss was very minimal. I would guess a pint or less.
Pilot reported feeling in his toes of the fractured leg, when medic squeezed them. I was amazed and encouraged to hear this.
I gathered up his shoes and jacket and put them in his car and locked it with keys inside, as his wife said she has a spare key.
A nice emergency worker named Scott gave me a ride back up the mountain to retrieve my car.
After packing up my glider, gear, I made sure the gate was closed and secure, and removed my windsock.
Later Ellis said that Sallie had reported that along with the open fracture on the right leg, was a second fracture below the knee on the left leg; a compression (vertebral) fracture, and broken wrist. The compression fracture was around L1(lumbar vertebrae). After 9 hours of surgery, he is expected to make a full recovery of his back. No spinal damage was reported. Pilot could wiggle his toes on both feet.
I visited the pilot the next day and his energy and mood was very good. He said his back felt great. His legs and wrist were well braced and awaiting surgery.

We talked some more about his approach durring his landing. He said after he had pitched forward, he swung through. At this point I'm guessing he fell straight down. And we are still not sure where his legs were when he impacted. Perhaps he landed on top of them. Along with the padding of the harness, I believe his legs took the most force and most likely saved his back from further injury.

Looking back, I was amazed at how level headed Hugh was. This helped me stay focused and level headed as well.
I am also very thankful to the swiftness and skillfulness of the Green County emergency personnel.

If I had something to do differently, I would have communicated to the pilot what the conditions on the ground were, and maybe have described my landing in more detail. I would also have stopped what I was doing to watch his landing more closely and gotten a better view point of his landing as well.

Also, if I had not seen his badly broken leg, I may have taken his fall less seriously. This mental fact reminds me that I need to take all hard landings just as seriously and call 911 imediately, even if I cannot "see" anything wrong. He may have tried to get up or move around more, and I might not have been as vigilant about keeping him still.
Last edited by uplandann on Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Danny Brotto

Post by Danny Brotto »

Ann

Thanks for your efforts and bravery at the scene and for posting this report. You didn't nothing wrong and everything right.

We can discuss further as a community about calling 911 for every pounded in landing. In this example it made no difference.

Danny Brotto
John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

Ann,

Thank you for remaining level-headed and taking care of our fellow pilot and good friend Hugh, and for the detailed description of the entire chain of events. Hugh was extremely lucky that you were there.

John
John Dullahan
deveil

Post by deveil »

amen to that.
gary
garyDevan
RichH

Post by RichH »

Ann, sounds like you did an excellent job of taking care of Hugh..Thank you for a great write up as well..Rich
cthornberger

Post by cthornberger »

Yeah, Great job Ann :) A big thanks.

Hugh, get well soon! I'm rooting for you!
..He's one Tough camper, seriously.

-Chris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris __-_-->
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

Oowwww!
Hugh, I am so sorry to hear of your injuries and am grateful you are healing and cared for. Sounds like Ann and the medics did right by you. Heal well my friend and hope to see you soon.

John
Pete Schumann

Post by Pete Schumann »

Hugh,
Sorry to read about what happened to you. As others have written your a top notch guy for our HG & PG community. Hang in there and take the time to heal well.

Pete
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

He's posted his luxury suite phone number on his facebook page, so I guess it may be safe to post it here. 301-nine-eight-O-six-3-8-!
I claim the lunch time call today. I know when I was stretched out the calls made me a new man. It hurt like hell to laugh when danny called and started telling stories, but I wouldn't have traded it for a case of vicidin.
Brian Vant-Hull
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

It's the best medicine...
WillBear Wright for Flight '87
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

laughter, that is...
rlweber

Post by rlweber »

Just returned from visiting our recovering comrade. When I called to learn if the way was clear for a visit he was welcoming visitors but one could still hear the pain medication in his speech. When I got there 2 hrs later he was cheerful and delighted to have a visitor, the effects of the pain meds seemed to have cleared. Ann said it was the clearest he has been since the accident. The old Hugh was back! He was interested in talking about what went awry. He said it was the first chance he had to process the events. I understood that they were planning to move him out of the ICU today as soon as a room was available. Plans were being made for longterm care and recovery. Ann said she she was doing well also. Keep the good vibes coming, in all there many forms. It is important that we walk with Hugh and Sallie in the long recovery process.

Randy
Keep Calm And Soar On
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

Remember to bring some Easter stuff if you visit Hugh this weekend - decoration... bunny ears ;-)... chocolate bunnies... eggs... a pink hospital gown... ;-)
-- ellis
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Hugh, keep a stiff upper lip. With the pain meds, that is probably the only part that action will work for. REALLy sorry you are going through this. Amazing how you kept it together in the LZ. Congrats to Ann for being a super trooper on the scene. Once more, both of you have proven what an amazing group of people our flying community is. Get betterer fasterer.
Petr

Post by Petr »

Hello Hugh,
This was a brutal test and I am sorry that somehow you had to take it. It shook me quite a bit to read what happened to you but at the end, reading of how you and Ann and others handled yourself at Daniels and beyond, flying feels even more precious and the flying people around here even more special than before. You are an inspiration. My best wishes for your complete recovery and a return to your feet and wings!

Petr
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Just want to say 'Thank you' to everyone who has responded so far with your posts, e-mails and phone calls. It is very meaningful to have people's compassionte and empathetic resposes. This is a wonderful flying community. Like Randy said, It's going to be a long healing process for those involved... Your support and encouragement makes it more bearable. ~Ann
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Visited Hugh today, and brought him an easter-like bouquet of lilacs from my yard. His trike-flying friend Steve Best was there and my son and I got to meet him. A real super guy.
Yep, he's back to his old self. Perky and forward-thinking. He got some help from a physical and an occupational therapist to sit up on the edge of his bed. Whoo Hoo! The physical therapist was very encouraged by this. Although it was quite uncomfortable on his back to get to that position and back into bed again, I think it was the first time he had supported his weight in this manner. So, an awesome first step! The cast was off of his left leg where it was broken below the knee. There were some incisons/stiches where the docs had put in some plates etc. No cast; that's amazing! His right leg was still wrapped up and braced with some heavy duty hardware.
When a nurse came in and said she was ready to give him a bath. I knew that was our cue to leave. :)
Met Sallie on the way out, and let her know what was going on.

They are hoping to find a facility close to home soon where he can get the therapy and care he needs. Ellis had called while I was there, and was on her way with a cool movie for them to watch (and maybe bunny ears and a pink gown...??) --Ann
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Just read about what happened. Thank you for your amazing response and action for our dear buddy Hugh.

Richard Hays
MHGA
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

How are you doing? Please post an update.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
pch

Post by pch »

Hugh,
I guess you're still in C'ville this week?
Peter Humes
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

Yep. He's at The Laurel's off 29 in Ch'ville. Home for the next five days or so. He is sitting up more for longer periods of time. He got to go outside yesterday in the courtyard in a wheelchair. Sallie fed him grapes in the brilliant sunshine. :) ~Ann
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Sorry I've been silent for so long. I'm working from my smartphone and every time I composed a long post, it got flushed when the forum connection timed out. I.m making progress, expect to move to a facility in Rockville at the end of this week. Big thanks to all the pilots who have sent good thoughts, come and visit, brought food. The support from all quarters is humbling. I hope to attend the reserve deployment clinic on 4 June. Ya'll come out!
- Hugh