CHGPA at the Smithsonian/Blossom Kite Festival : Sun Apr 10

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

deveil

Re: CHGPA at the Smithsonian Kite Festival : The National Ma

Post by deveil »

i can't provide one , but i haven't seen any talk of a table for all the sTuff.
garyDevan
mingram

Post by mingram »

1 8' table and 6 chairs are provided. I just need to get the club banners from Carlos and the fliers from Hugh. The USHPA stuff should be here tomorrow, if it hasn't already shown up.

I have one of those portable jump-start batteries that has AC outlets on it we can use to power the laptops when the batteries die.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mingram

Post by mingram »

Hugh, here's the info I received. If you don't want to show up that early just double park on 17th & Constitution give me a call and I can unload your glider for you. 804.399.5155

Load-in:
Please arrive at 7am.
Ensure you give yourself adequate time to arrive on site, so you can be set up to receive attendees at 10am.

When you arrive on site, please check-in with the staff at the Festival Operations tent (#9) on attached map.

You can enter the paved walkway with your vehicle (indicated on the map) on the corner of 17th and Constitution –accessed ON 17th St. You will have between 7am to 8:30am to use this walkway with your vehicle. No vehicles can drive on the grass, so please be considerate of your loading time and be patient; we’ll all get up in time!

After loading in your tent or area, you can park your vehicle on Constitution Ave. Since we are all there so early in the morning, finding a space shouldn’t be a problem along Constitution Ave. 8:30 am: vehicles off the site and parked until end of Festival

Smithsonian Metro (Orange) is the closest to the site.

Load out:
4pm: The Festival ends

4:30pm: Vendors have been instructed to come to the site to start removing tents,

4:30pm to 5:30pm: You can bring your vehicle onto the walkway to load out your materials. If you don’t have much to pack up, a volunteer can help bring your materials back to your car. Vehicles can access the walkway and the sidewalk of 17th St. from. Please make sure you have a spotter helping you onto the curb, and to be mindful of pedestrians. Park Police will also be onsite to help with public safety. tables, and chairs.

• The Festival will provide a ‘private access’ restroom for our staff and vendors so we don’t have to wait in line. Please come get the combination to the lock from the Festival Operations Tent in the AM when you check-in.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

hey! since a bunch of people are showing up early, why not make it a morning pic-a-nic sort of thing? if there can be a sort of consensus i.e. one stop shopping, i'd provide the tasties. cold and rain (or snow), we could even sing songs or have inspirational readings.
(the food thing is the real part)

got called away and i just now saw the following, so the above may be provisional.
"Since we are all there so early" - "arrive at 7am" ! okay, i'm about to return to that insanity theme.
"so you can be set up to receive attendees at 10am" - so what if we're not ready by 10:30? or even later? i mean it's not as though we're provide medical services or toilet paper or any thing. we're there for Our benefit for gracious sakes. i call dibs on the table for napping during the three hours until guests are greeted.
is there historical precedence for this early bird stuff? how has it gone down before? 7 -fricken-men? i mean i'm up by then but that doesn't mean i'm safe to drive.
okay, so that was a bit over the top for entertainment purposes. but really - everybody at 7 am?
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

maybe we could outsource that 7am thing to a place holder, like for buying new ipads or iphones?
garyDevan
pch

Post by pch »

I have a white 10' x 10' canopy w/sides, I'll bring. Yes, it will keep you dry in the rain. Do you have tables or are the CHKF organizers providing us with one?
Peter H.
mingram

Post by mingram »

They provided tables and chairs.

All of our stuff is portable, so I don't think we really need to load in. I provided it in case Hugh wanted to drive up to the spot, but I think we can coordinate a cell phone, double-park, quick grab job of Hugh's glider so we don't have to walk the glider all the way in and we can be lazy. I'd like to get their early enough to get a parking spot on Constitution, so I'm thinking 9am. If it's raining hard then we'll delay. Last year we didn't show up until 11am because it took forever to find a parking spot.

I'll get a phone call from the coordinator at 6am if they cancel the event and I'll post that here.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

when i was researching portable home generators there was talk about "clean voltage", that the generators were okay for electric motors and such but electronics maybe not so much. one of our geeks might know about such things.
garyDevan
A0213

Post by A0213 »

Hello,

For who ever is picking up the tent thing... (maybe you already thumb wrestled for this?), the address to the station is: 7128 Columbia Pike (Annandale).

I may be out on a call when you (the winner of the thumb wresting) comes by. Just ring the door bell- someone should answer- and give you the tent.

You can call my cell when you come by at five seven one two six four four two two two.

-A
mingram

Post by mingram »

USHPA came through with:
a stack of glossy, two-sided brochures showing hang gliding and paragliding that advertises a free copy of the USHPA mag
paragliding buttons
tons of USHPA stickers
hang gliding and paragliding calendars (I want one!)
a t-shirt
and a 6 minute DVD about learning to paraglide - quick to watch, looks fun

So tons of the good stuff to hand out to kids. The brochures are great. I don't know what happened to the Rio DVD and the learning to hang glide DVD, but they didn't show up. Gary, do you have any hang gliding DVDs?

Last year I kept getting asked where we fly so I'm going to print out the map from the CHGPA site guide so I have something to point to.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

no dvd's - just those tapes i keep replaying in my head.
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

sunday:snow flurries 1-3"
garyDevan
mingram

Post by mingram »

Crazy! That's better than rain!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I have 33 1/3 LPs in mine: "innagaddadavida baby!..." - Hugh
deveil

Post by deveil »

:lol: 8)
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

although i was thinking greatest flights vs greatest hits. maybe i could get dan to set them to music.
garyDevan
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

"By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong!..." - Hugh
deveil

Post by deveil »

mingram wrote:Crazy!
you said it, not me
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

mcelrah wrote:"By the time we got to Woodstock, we were half a million strong!..." - Hugh
okay, that was pretty darn good, particularly as it was off the cuff.
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

and bringing this all back around…as far as dvds for public consumption - a compilation of some of our peoples videos of flying at local site put on to dvds. two bald eagles with one stone - flying vids and info on our local sites. i just think it would be very powerful. and we could do our own live real time narrations.
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

opening scene - someone, in view, flying one of those ziggy zaggy things - near distant shot. camera pulls back and it is seen at a distance. quick fade to a hang glider in the distance - same screen size. bring the scene in closer so that it is revealed that a real live person is now flying - in the wing as opposed to on the ground(!) hit the dramatic music.
okay, i'll quite with the coffee now.
garyDevan
A0213

Post by A0213 »

Got the tent at work ready for pick up.
deveil

Post by deveil »

be there inside of 15 min. down the street from the burger king, right?
garyDevan
mingram

Post by mingram »

I just got a call from the Kite Fest organizer about the weekend weather and the possibility of rescheduling for next weekend, April 3rd. There hasn't been a decision yet, but her sense is that the National Park Service may want to cancel the Kite Fest on Sunday if the mall is too wet in order to protect the grass. I told her I'm still available for the following weekend, April 3rd. She will be in contact with me tomorrow if they do need to reschedule. As of now we're still on, but I'm betting/hoping it gets pushed back to a better weather weekend. Stay tuned.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

maybe try for a tent from them again. probably bigger, better and they'd do the set up & breakdown(?), wouldn't have to haul blocks.
garyDevan