CHGPA at the Smithsonian/Blossom Kite Festival : Sun Apr 10

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

markc

CHGPA at the Smithsonian/Blossom Kite Festival : Sun Apr 10

Post by markc »

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*** The 2011 Smithsonian / Cherry Blossom Kite Festival, originally scheduled for Sunday March 27, has been postponed until Sunday April 10th. CHGPA will be there! ***

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The 2011 Smithsonian Kite Festival, a Cherry Blossom Festival event, will be held this coming weekend, Sunday March 27th.

CHGPA usually has a presence at this event, and it's a great opportunity to increase the visibility of our sports. I think that Matthew I. has volunteered to be there, but some assistance will most certainly be welcome : Pilots to talk about flying with the curious, gliders to set up on the Mall, hands to help with set-up and tear-down, etc. Also, if you happen to be in possession of promotional materials, display-boards, etc, please say so.

This is a major event in a hugely public place, and we should try to be VERY visible, with lots of people and wings!

Matthew, if you need help, please let everyone know!

MarkC
markc

Re: CHGPA at the Smithsonian Kite Festival : The National Ma

Post by markc »

BTW Matt, if you haven't contacted USHPA... They are often able to provide promotional / giveaway items that are appropriate to the Kite Festival venue (there can't be any 'commercial' activities). Even fairly last-minute, by FedEx. So if you haven't already, it might be worth a call and/or email.

MarkC
mingram

Post by mingram »

Thanks Mark. I'll call tomorrow. Anyone know the location of the club banner and box o' swag?

Bring yer wings! I've heard from a few paragliders interested in kiting on the mall, but I need a hang glider or two that want to show off. We didn't have any last year and which made us less visible. There will be crowds of people taking pictures and asking questions. The more pilots we have talking about what we do the better.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
pch

Post by pch »

Yea Matthew,
I'll be there for sure. You want me to bring 2 harnesses, 2 wings, & 2 helmets? Lookig for ward to it.
Peter H.
mingram

Post by mingram »

Just bring whatever you want to kite with. I'll have my own gear.

USHPA is sending me all kinds of stuff via 2-day delivery, including DVDs about learning how to fly (both HG and PG) that we could display on a laptop. I'm not sure we'll have power, but it's better than nothing. They're sending RIO posters and coloring pages that we can scan and copy. We may or may not be able to use those for the kite fest because they may be considered commercial, but it won't hurt to try.

Carlos is tracking down some CHGPA swag that he thinks Matthew is in possession of. Still looking for a hang glider volunteer.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
carweill

Post by carweill »

I already have the some stuff that was used in the last kite festival. It includes two large banners.
i'll coordinate with you.

Carlos
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Sorry, all.. I have to break my attendance record by missing this year.
I am Oklahoma and Arkansas for the week, on a family and tribal visit, getting home late on the 29th. Were I in town, I'd be there all day.

Have fun, and thanks to all who help out.

At least I got to see gliders and talk to pilots at Nebo LZ last Saturday. They, of course, chided me for showing up sans glider!
markc

Post by markc »

If everyone who plans to stop by makes a point of bringing along a laptop, then the cumulative battery life might be enough to show the DVDs for much of the day. Which would definitely be cool.

Unless things have changed, no, there won't be any AC power available on-site for exhibitors.

MarkC
deveil

Post by deveil »

uhm, here's a totally raw thought and i have no idea how difficult it would be to implement.
contact local news organizations informing them of our presence, more specifically the opportunity of filming a pg being kited. was there a problem about having permission to do kiting last year?
i'd put it under the heading of making the news guys jobs as easy as possible - just let them know that we'll be there as opposed to hoping they may stumble upon us.
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

i'll try to get down there with a laptop - good idea. except that i won't be watching anything other than my laptop while it's on display :(
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

'could also be playing some of Dan's videos: http://www.vimeo.com/user536040/albums
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

how about chainsaw demonstrations?
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

oops sorry, that would be a different thread.
garyDevan
mingram

Post by mingram »

I received more info from the festival organizers. Attached is the map showing our location.

I plan to arrive between 8-9am so I can park on Constitution. Festival is from 10am to 4pm.

I still need a hang glider or two, but I realize it's a 50/50 chance of rain or SNOW! on Sunday. Anyone have an old hang glider they wouldn't mind getting a little wet?
Attachments
Map of the mall
Map of the mall
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

forget the paragliders. at least if you have a bunch of hang gliders set up, people will flock to them just so they have something to stand under and stay dry :cry: :shock:
i'll see if i can get there early enough to help set up (50% rain or snow? - what a stupid, stupid thing to say, jheez). beach size umbrellas might be a good idea. heck, Tents would be a good idea.
don't mean to rain on your parade, but…well i'm sure you'll evaluate weather conditions and crowd turnout and decide on how/whether to proceed. but then… people who don't know enough to come in out of the rain? … might be the crowd we're looking for - probably would become avid winter flyers.

post early if you decide to bail.

703 2for1 ohtutufive

so many puns and all unintended
garyDevan
mingram

Post by mingram »

Thanks Gary. My thoughts exactly. We DEFINITELY need hang gliders to increase visibility, but I assume the forecast has most pilots wanting to stay indoors. If someone would just let me borrow their hang glider I'll find a way to transport, setup, and breakdown.

I'll ask the festival organizers for a tent if it's not too late. Anyone have a tent we could use as a backup? If all else fails I'll buy one. I'm committed to being at the festival rain or shine. I'm assuming it won't be too wet, just cold. And you're right...anyone coming out is surely a potential avid winter flyer.

So we'll have shelter. I'll have my paraglider. We'll have flying vids running on laptops and swag to hand out. I think I'll bring a flask to stay warm.
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

let's see, i'll bring some sheet plastic to put down under the hgs to protect harnesses and control bars from mud.
"I'm committed to being at the festival rain or shine" - the rain part? not so much. i find your optimism in the face of a so-so forecast to be typical of a pilot, but be prepared to have your sanity questioned - you may be left singing in the rain by yooself.

(maybe some restraining devices if it appears you may be a danger to yourself or others - there's being a committed volunteer and then there's being involuntarily committed)
garyDevan
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Sallie says she'll come and kite with Peter Sunday (weather permitting of course). I can bring my Sport 2 - easier set-up/breakdown. - Hugh
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

P.S. I have some two-sided USHPA flyers to hand out. Thanks Matt for being pro-active to get USHPA/RIO materials. - Hugh
A0213

Post by A0213 »

Hello,

I have one of those tent things- I am not sure what they are officially called... but, it is the kind that takes 2-4 people, each stand on a corner and walk it out... it is a good size and could provide nice coverage if it rains. Anyway, I am more than happy to donate this to the CHGPA- as I am sure it will get used for other things in the future.

I can plan to meet with someone (who is going to the festival or who will have contact with someone who is going) this week. I work in Annandale- anyone willing to stop by the firehouse and pick it up? If so, I will bring it with me to work tomorrow.

Thanks,
Amy
mingram

Post by mingram »

Thanks Amy! I need it! The Kite Fest organizers confirmed they can't provide a tent this close to the event. They also stated that the National Park Service won't let you put stakes in the ground and suggested we weight it down with cinder blocks! The walk-out, free-standing type of tent you're talking about would be ideal.

I work in Reston and live in Arlington so I could pick up the tent tomorrow before 5pm to beat the traffic. Let me know if that works.

Matt
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
deveil

Post by deveil »

i'm very close to the annandale firehouse. i'll pick up if you want me to. can go any tine during the day...
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

i could bring cinder blocks also...
garyDevan
mingram

Post by mingram »

Perfect! Thanks Gary!
Matt Ingram
CHGPA President
P4 Observer
mingram@vt.edu
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Matt, I know you posted before (on the PG list?) but please say again where and when we should go for vehicular access? I don't want to carry even the Sport 2 farther than I have to. Then do we have to repark further away? Bring a bicycle for getting to/from parked car? What's your cell number?
- Hugh
301 980-6381