Howng long to achieve h2 , h3 ratings??

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

AcTiOnJaCkSoN

Howng long to achieve h2 , h3 ratings??

Post by AcTiOnJaCkSoN »

Hello everyone, parts of spring but mainly summer I will be working on my hang glidin ratings. I was wondering how long to exspect, perhaps on average, a idea how long everyone had to work on their h2 and h3 ratings. I plan on spending any weekend I can during the summer learning at blue sky. I want to be able to have my h2 rating before summer is over, is this a reasonable goal? Blue sky's learning package is good for a year to abtain h2 rating. I know a lot of variables like learning curve, but am curious how long most you spent learning until you reached h2 and h3 ratings.
Dustin
davidtheamazing1

Re: Howng long to achieve h2 , h3 ratings??

Post by davidtheamazing1 »

I would estimate it to take between 15-20 lessons
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

It sort of depends on how you count a lesson. With a hang 1 you can actually fly in many situations without taking an actual lesson (have other pilots around!), and improve the skills you have been taught. It's recommended to only learn new skills under the direction of an instructor. Anyway, if you buy a glider early and put in some extra practice time, you can shave down the number of lessons you need to take. Conversely, if you stretch out time between lessons and/or don't buy a glider to practice on, it can take longer.

I'd say David's estimate is about right if you go every couple of weeks and don't buy a glider before your H2 (or buy one but don't practice outside lessons). You could get it down to 10 to 12 lessons if you do everything possible to get the time in.

H3 is purely how often you get out to fly after H2. You could get it in a few months if you go fly-crazy and take advantage of the retiree observers on weekdays, but most people take a little less than a year. More if you don't get out much.
Brian Vant-Hull
RichH

Post by RichH »

It depends on the individual and the access to decent flying conditions..Fly as often as you can but always stay within your flight paramenters/limits by rating..Avoid high wind conditions until you have a good bit of time under your belt. Take advancements in small increments..listen to your inner voice its right most of the time..Good Luck
uplandann

Post by uplandann »

How many hours airtime do you need for you H-3?
WillBear Wright for Flight '87
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

uplandann wrote:How many hours airtime do you need for you H-3?
The number of flying hours in the official requirements do not tell the full story. Almost all Observers in our area hold off on an H3 award until the pilot has flown in a variety of conditions and locations.
The full requirements for all rating levels is at
http://ushpa.aero/documents/sop/sop-12-02.pdf
From that document:
. Logged Requirements
a. Must have logged a minimum of 30 flying days.
b. Must have logged a total of at least 90 flights.
c. Must have logged a minimum of ten hours of solo airtime.

However, it is extremely rare for an east coast pilot to experience a broad enough range of conditions in only 10 hours for most local observers to feel comfortable awarding the H3. Expect to put in more like 20 hours of logged time. This is not a rule, just the local experience.

But, really - we have more available Observers locally than almost any other region. Get your 2 and then get out and fly. Your 3 will come. It is VERY rare for an interested 2 to be left on the ground due to lack of observers.
AcTiOnJaCkSoN

Post by AcTiOnJaCkSoN »

thanks for all the replys. Okay. I was wondering because I want to know approx how long it will be until I can do real high altitude solo flights.
Dustin
markc

Post by markc »

Hi Dustin,

Even with a Hang-II rating, and while still flying with an Observer, you can most certainly experience "real high altitude solo flights". All it takes is that one just-right kind of day at (say) Woodstock, and you can be in the air for an hour, two, or even more.

Some instructors will sponsor you for one or two mountain high flights, after you've gotten your 2. And of course, the availability of aero- and truck-towing really expands the envelope of what's available to a new 2.

My suggestion : Focus less on ratings/requirements/time-spent , and more on finding the "right fit" for the type of flying that you aspire to. Getting out there, making progress, feeling confident that you are improving your skills.... All of that is WAY more important than any timetable.

If you need to conserve the $$ that you have to spend on lessons, mention that up-front, and let your instructor know that you need the best "bang for the buck". Maybe they can work something out with you.

And be aware that weather conditions can play havoc with the best laid plans, and that everyone advances at their own rate. I know of pilots who have literally blazed through H-1 to H-4, and others who have taken forever to get even their H-2. But the bottom line : They are all soaring and having a blast!

Cheers,

MarkC
heaviek

Post by heaviek »

Hey Action,

If you are really motivated, try to schedule life around flying rather then flying around life. Develop a chronic and unpredictable health condition. Negotiate a flexible work schedule. Even if just for a short time. The immersion technique can build skills faster. Most of all, listen to your instructor. Many talented pilots are also overconfident know-it-all's. Some would say it goes hand in hand. Wait, aren't all pilots know-it-all's or is it just men in general? Fly because the conditions are good, not because you are itching for airtime. Dazzle your instructor with excellent decision making. Acquire opinions from all sources ( books, forums, etc) but acquire knowledge from actual experience.

Best of luck,
Kev
AcTiOnJaCkSoN

Post by AcTiOnJaCkSoN »

Hey thanks for the advice MarkC. I am incredibly impatient with hang gliding so far lol, I just want to fly :(. I'm definitely not rich, but as of now I can pay for the lessons to prepare me for first high solo flights. What time of flying is there? I know of cross country, sand Gooning(I believe it is called), and? Bummed out today, was supposed to be booked this evening for another lesson but weather turned out to be bad. The past couple months this was the only I day I've had free time to set this up, frustrating. I guess I should get used to dealing with weather conditions in this sport.

@heaviek - "schedule life around flying rather then flying around life. Develop a chronic and unpredictable health condition."
lol I like that, I really wish I could. Right now, unfortunately, any free time I get is only on the weekends if I am caught up with home work.
Definitely, I really listen to Steve. So far hes been great to work with better, probably one of the best coaches I have ever had regarding in sport.
Over confident maybe, a know it all definitely not.I am aware how little i know lol.
thanks for the advice everyone
Dustin