In-flight structural failure?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Post by Scott »

I was having a friendly argument with my mother about the safety vs. perils of hang gliding, and I began to wonder...

When was the last time a hang glider pilot suffered catastrophic, in-flight structural failure without doing aerobatics or any other crazy stuff? I'm talking about just boating along at (or near) minimum sink, not in a steep turn, not loading any Gs...and suddenly the glider just folds up, or the control frame suddenly falls, or both hang straps suddenly open?

I'm also ruling out incidents caused by blatant pilot error (like forgetting to secure the haulback before a cliff launch, or not noticing a flying wire kinked in six places, etc.)

Has this ever happened? My impression is that it hasn't for a long, long time. further, I wonder if this is even possible on a modern, well-maintained glider?

If all other factors are ruled out (extreme conditions, pilot error, aerobatics, poorly-maintained glider, etc.), will a modern hang glider just...break? (I know---that's probably a question the manufacturers might run from! :) )

Scott
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

I think the odds of that happening are much lower than say getting run over by a purple bus being driven by a bipolar midget who was raised in a broken home and just lost his home, his wife, and his thermos. I'm not saying it couldn't happen ... but?

Ok...next question Scott? :lol:
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Mr. Earnest here,
?
The big-air pilots in our midst might express a different opinion, if they weren’t finding better ways to spend their time than getting involved in our neophyte ramblings.?
?
Flying in the middle of the desert in the middle of the day, some serious aluminum snapping sh*t can, does and has recently happened. ?
?
~Daniel
?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 9:57 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: In-flight structural failure?
?
I think the odds of that happening are much lower than say getting run over by a purple bus being driven by a bipolar midget who was raised in a broken home and just lost his home, his wife, and his thermos. I'm not saying it couldn't happen ... but?

Ok...next question Scott? Image

Christopher

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

I think "Big Air" was already crossed out under Scotts layed out conditions of extreme conditions ...

"If all other factors are ruled out (extreme conditions, pilot error, aerobatics, poorly-maintained glider, etc.), will a modern hang glider just...break?"
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

You mean I’m supposed to read the entire post before I respond?
?
Yeah, I missed that.
?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 10:20 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: In-flight structural failure?
?
I think "Big Air" was already crossed out under Scotts layed out conditions of extreme conditions ...

"If all other factors are ruled out (extreme conditions, pilot error, aerobatics, poorly-maintained glider, etc.), will a modern hang glider just...break?"

Batman

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

Apology accepted! :twisted:
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Just throwing my 2-cents worth in; Gliders can "just break" IF there is a
manufacturing, design defect or materials defect. Although materials defects
might be impossible to spot (void in alum. tubing extrusion, etc. )
manufacturing defects are another matter. An improperly crimped nico or
unsecured nut assembled by an employee who is distracted would ( obviously )
lead to an in-flight failure, thus the importance of pre-flighting your wing
and annual frame inspections sans sail.

The 70's were notorious for design and manufacturing defects leading to
structural failures and fatalities. Gliders' manufactured since 1990 have
had few issues and those that have surfaced have been dealt with quickly and
responsibly by the manufacturers.

The hanggliding industry as a whole has an impeccable safety record in
avoiding manufacturing and materials issues, but incidents have occurred in
the past and obviously could again in the future, just as there is in the
auto industry. That being said, if you fly within the certified limits of
your HMGA certified wing and take good care of it and fly in sane
conditions, there is little chance of anything "just breaking" during your