a familiar face in today's Washington Post (?)

For topics that don't fit into any of the other forums: politics, rant-n-raves, cool web sites, anything and everything goes!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jyoder111

a familiar face in today's Washington Post (?)

Post by jyoder111 »

I noticed a front-page article today about a John Dullahan and a 2009 pulled-security clearance snafu. Is this our fellow pilot? Can't quite tell from the photo on A4, but looks likely. If it's you, John, then my condolences. sounds like you got treated pretty unfairly.
dbodner

Re: a familiar face in today's Washington Post (?)

Post by dbodner »

Yep, that's our John. The article didn't mention anything about it, but I wonder if flying a hang glider is conducive toward keeping a security clearance. They haven't taken mine away yet, but I never had one of those fancy clearances that require a polygraph.

More seriously, I never understood how the government could make such serious decisions based on such a pseudo-science. Might as well rely on phrenology. About 10 years ago, we found out that everything fire inspectors thought they knew about detecting arson was completely false. I predict the same for polygraphs.
David Bodner
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

For some very interesting and deep reading, take a look around http://antipolygraph.org/

Despite what many polygraph operators and proponents might assert, a polygraph is not a lie detector, it is a nervousness detector. The inference that instantaneous jumps in physiologically evidenced stress or nervousness, triggered by a particular question or statement, indicates prevarication is a pretty tall leap of faith.

My personal opinion: while a polygraph is not a lie detector, it is a pretty good intimidating interrogation tool when doing accusatory interrogations, such as in a police and suspect situation for a known crime. I liken it to the psychological equivalent of the old rubber hose. Relating this to the very different situation in a background investigation poly, as is used for some security clearances, is a much more tricky situation.
deveil

Post by deveil »

I just pulled out Saturday's Washington Post. It nearly breaks ones heart to read the article.
John, your inner strength leaves me awestruck. i know not else what to say...

gary
garyDevan
deveil

Post by deveil »

oh, 'did think of something else - you're one damn fine grill master! :)

gary
garyDevan
stevek

Post by stevek »

John Dullahan

Post by John Dullahan »

Hi Guys,

I just found this thread, and I really appreciate your kind words of support. My lawyer, Mark Zaid, said it could be several months before we get some movement from the court. I will keep you informed of any developments.

Thanks again,
John
John Dullahan