Sunday Sep5

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Ashley Groves

Sunday Sep5

Post by Ashley Groves »

Anybody making any schemes? I think I can get out Sunday. Westerlies look good for McConellsburg, but there is also the Highland fly in.

Any thoughts out there?
Ashley Groves
Ward Odenwald

Re: Sunday Sep5

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Ashley, I plan on being at the Pulpit around 11. Forecasts are still looking good!
Brit_in_SoMD

Post by Brit_in_SoMD »

Hi

My name's Richard, i'm new to the area, based down in southern MD @ NAS Pax River on the F-35 program since last November.

Met a few folks at the HG film showing at the Smithsonian in DC back in April but have been busy with a bunch of stuff so far this year, including the F-35! So not been able to get out flying til now.

However, finally ready to get out flying so hoping tomorrow or Monday are on somewhere.

Am H3 (FL ST AT, about 60 hours, flying WW Sport2) and P2 (FL ST, about 20 hours, flying Firebird Ignition). Can tow but prefer foot launch.

Not been to any of the local sites yet so am wanting to tie up with folks for directions, site rules, etc.

McConnellsburg seems like a bit of a trek from here (about 3.5-4 hrs according to Google maps) but if the forecast is looking good it could be worth the trip - what's the site like?

If it's quicker to explain by phone, you can call me on eight 1 seven, 4 three seven, 4 nine 1 two.

Hope to fly with y'all soon.

Richard
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Richard,

McConnellsburg/Pulpit has two elevated wooden ramps and a wide gravel sloped pad between them - so it is paraglidable - although it may be strong for PG tomorrow. There is good cross-country potential over the back with a 30-mile wide valley and landing fields forever, plus even longer distance possible if you can make it past the Michaux State Forest, Gettysburg National Battlefield, Camp David (with associated expanded Temporary Flight Restricted area this weekend), and Hagerstown airport.

- Hugh
Brit_in_SoMD

Post by Brit_in_SoMD »

Hi Hugh

Thanks for the info - just looked at the map again and really think it's a bit too far to go just for the day.

If it's blown out for PG, have got the HG option. But it really is just looking too far for the day.

Hope y'all have fun

Richard
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Due to unexpected issues at home, flying today is out for me. Sorry for the short notice. I hope everyone has a great day! Fly far and safe!!

Ward
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

Heading to pulpit...
Ashley Groves
markc

Post by markc »

Wow, pretty ideal looking forecast! Hoping to see some photos/vids from a great
day of flying; have fun!

MarkC
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

PULPIT PULPIT PULPIT!!!!

ETA noon=thirty.

Matthew
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Anyone have Ashley Grove's cell number?
Ashley Groves

Post by Ashley Groves »

I got ~2:40 and only to +3000MSL once, but it was a real white-knuckle aerial amusement park of fun. The wind gods were eager to play with fast rides up and down, but they were not willing to make it easy. Constant vigilance was needed to find a thermal, hold on tight, then run from sink for the first hour or so then it mellowed a little to where you could relax a little most of the climbs. Due to the massive sink pockets and the inability to get high I did not consider X-C.

Highlight was one thermal where I had long sustained +900 ft/min on averager to ~3500. I was hoping to break 1000 ft/min, but I only saw 980 with +1500 on the instantaeous. Of course, if I really wanted to break 1000 I would not have had the bar completely stuffed! I did not get much chance to enjoy the view as I went straight to +700 ft/min sink (or should that be -700 ft/min sink?).

I also had one low save, when I hooked one (more like it hooked me) that shoot me straight up with the bar stuffed at my waist. My vario made a noise more associated with new years, and I felt like a Marvel comic book drawing of Superman. It was short lived and only took me to the top of the ridge, which was all I needed.

I saw a sail plane twice, and a bunch of corn leaves in the air. A couple of HG pilots did join me in the air for a little while. I saw a bunch punching off later in the day when I was leaving the LZ.
Ashley Groves
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

We saw that low save from launch. You shot up like a jet at an airshow.

I had the last launch of the day after waiting for "old man" conditions to set in. The four-minute sled run to the primary was exactly what I wanted for my inaugural mountain flight after my incident in January.
David Bodner
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

Bussy day! ... Decided to try the old man's evening flight ... The northern cross made for a ratty ride. But it was nice to get into the air!

http://www.vimeo.com/14742770[/vimeo]
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

This time with the right link ... :oops:

Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
tdilisio

Post by tdilisio »

.... and at the end of the day, there was Bud. Compliments of Matthew and Karen!
Attachments
Those left at the end of the day to watch the grand finale....
Those left at the end of the day to watch the grand finale....
... a true Budwiser moment.
... a true Budwiser moment.
TonyD
tdilisio at yahoo dot com
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Looks like a "Fin du Monde" Quebecois Belgian-style ale moment to me! - Hugh