Good Luck at Big Spring Tom and Dave...

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

tdilisio

Good Luck at Big Spring Tom and Dave...

Post by tdilisio »

... I was heading home on 66W today and saw a green Toyota pickup with 4 gliders heading west. I looked for a flag to see if they might be headed to Woodstock... but soon saw that the gliders were packed for a trip. I beeped and waved, then shortly after Dave called and told me their plans.... along with an offer to go. Thanks guys... Best of Luck to both of you at the Spring!!! Bring back the gold for region 9. Good luck, Fly safe, fast and far.
TonyD
tdilisio at yahoo dot com
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
mcgowantk

Re: Good Luck at Big Spring Tom and Dave...

Post by mcgowantk »

Thanks Tony. We will let you know how we do. We are just reaching Dallas now.

Save a thermal for me at home.

Tom
Roger

Post by Roger »

Good luck guys. I hope to go next year, so any pointers will be appreciated.

If you get the time and connection, how about giving us updates please?
Roger
25two-67three--eight eight95 c
John Simon

Post by John Simon »

Hey Tom...
Dave and Bob. Good luck and fun flying down there. I hope the weather allows great things... please do keep up updated, as some of us are living vicariously. Kick ass... Hope to hear daily reports ?

John
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

We had two good days, although today was the best of the two. Larry Bunner has made goal twice and won the first day. He may also stil be in first, at least he was the first into goal today. Yesterday lift was a little light and we struggled getting to the first turn point. I believe I flew something close to 40 miles. Larry flew another 25 miles or so and made it well past the first turnpoint. Bob had landed close to me, and Dave was first down.

Today, things started out light. I sunk out but Larry and Dave got away on their first tow. They seemed to be doing ok, but lift was light. Larry survived a blue hole before the first turnpoint, while Dave went down. Meanwhile, Bob and I were just towing up again. When I headed out, Larry reported being near the first turnpoint 60 miles out. Things started booming around 3:00 just after I headed out and it was a fantastic day Big Spring type day for me with great climbs to 10-11k with 600-700 up common. I stayed high and made goal a little after 6:00. Bob had a good flight too but landed before the first turnpoint.

Larry and the others can add details but so far so good!
carweill

Post by carweill »

Bob in 3rd place on yesterday day. Larry and Tom doing well; Dave hanging in there.
Now we want some stories

http://soaringspot.com/2010bsn

Carlos
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Larry Bunner is kicking butt with two firsts and a second so far! All the local pilots are showing them that the east coast knows how to fly. You go guys!

Dan
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

Bob missed winning Day 6 by one thermal. He passed up good lift (400 fpm) on final glide thinking there was more to be had and never hit another bump. He is flying great. The Highland Gang I am sure is super proud. I know I am. I finished third yesterday and am still in first going into the last day. Wooohoooo!
Bun
lbunner

Post by lbunner »

All four pilots (Dave P. Tom M. Bob F. and I) in goal today. I was too slow and Zac Majors passed me to become the US National Champion. I ended up 2nd and had a blast. Bob F. finished 2nd today. He really flew well and learned a tremendous amount about racing this week. We had seven days of awesome flying. I racked up 25+ hours which should be a good indicator of the conditions. The others had similar results. Can't wait to go again next year.
Bun
Roger

Post by Roger »

Way to go, and congratulations! :!:
I'm planning on going next year too. Maybe we can team up and save on expenses.... (I have a full size crew cab truck with 4 racks across, about 6'6" long)
Any advice on what to bring and not to bring would be appreciated.
Roger
25two-67three--eight eight95 c