Pulpit 7/11

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Pulpit 7/11

Post by XCanytime »

Sunday is looking good for the Pulpit. A good bit cooler and less humid. Any interest? Bacil
Ward Odenwald

Re: Pulpit 7/11

Post by Ward Odenwald »

If the forecast holds, I'm going.

Ward
Richard Hays

Post by Richard Hays »

Whats the status of the LZ ?

Richard Hays
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

LZ status: mostly cut, a strip left uncut (as of last Sunday)
-- ellis
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

The grass in the set up area is about knee high or more.

Dan T
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

I'll look at it saturday night and sunday morning. Looks pretty reasonable as of now.

DaveP
Dave P
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Looking more HIgh Rock/SAC tomorrow. I'm heading to the SAC tomorrow. Bacil
Ward Odenwald

Post by Ward Odenwald »

Relative to the Rock and Sac, I still like the Pulpit for tomorrow.
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Willing to take my chances on the Pulpit tomorrow. I plan to be there pretty early.
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

I'd like to join too ... any chance of a willing observer?
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
MRWilkens

Post by MRWilkens »

I'm game for the pulpit tommorrow too, but lookin for a willing observer as well... I can't get out there till later, maybe around 3-5pm, anyone going to b out there then? If there are any observers going anywhere else I'm game for any other sites too..
Mr. Matt
matthew.r.wilkens at gmail dot com
two zero two four one three eight six seven six
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Re: Observers, I will be teaching at Kirshners on Sunday and if no other observers are available, I can stop by the Pulpit on my way home probably around 7:00 PM. Call me on my cell (202)409-2574 around 6:00 PM and let me know if you want me to stop by.
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

It looks like an ideal day for a HG. I'm suffering from a bad case of the lazies that I"ve picked up since I learned to fly a pg. I think it's going to be a bit strong for them until late this afternoon.

Dan
Dave Proctor

Post by Dave Proctor »

I am now seeing almost due North winds at the Pulpit all day. It might work, but I think I am probably going to Highland today. They probably go more rain in the past couple of days, but I just don't see enough West in the Pulpit forecast.

Good luck to the faithful,

Dave
Dave P
chuckok

Post by chuckok »

Sigh ... I may have to go along with the Norterly call and head south for Blue Sky for some truck tows. Maybe next time!
Chuck O’Keeffe, H3
Icaro 2000 RX2 190
carweill

Post by carweill »

Who is going to the Pulpit?
I'm willing to give it a try, there is some light North, but I think thermals will be stronger.

Carlos
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The Tuscarora Air Force is going to the Pulpit. See you there. Bacil
carweill

Post by carweill »

Excellent!

See you there

Carlos
carweill

Post by carweill »

One of those days

Dave, Dan, Kris, Ward and I attempted some flying that ended mostly sleds and extendos. Very nice day anyway. Thanks to Bacil and Mark for helping launch.
And thanks to Dave for the retrieval. Thermals didn't seemed to get as strong as we hoped for.

While at Woodstock (PG) 5hour flight ~40mile 7000ft. Congrats Tom

Carlos
tomceunen

Post by tomceunen »

Woodstock with a light NE.
http://picasaweb.google.com/tceunen/20100711WoodstockXC#
On ADDS I saw some NW for around 1PM at Woodstock. Once on site, like a couple of weeks ago, also this Sunday the early thermals came up till 1PM after wards it got pretty fuzzy.
Matt and I walked up the tower at around 12:30PM and the thermals were moderate but the base wind was NW, no over the back stuff.
Matt went first in a light thermal. He flew to the right but sank out. I had to wait 5min for another thermal and decided to turn left. I hit some very small stronger bump thermals but nothing to turn in. Next I decided to go out to the bridge flying over the spur. Before the end of the spur at the left side of the ridge there is a thermal collector (a semi hidden mini valley that heats up). I took a mini but consistent thermal up from that collector. Evaluating the conditions seeing clouds popping up over I-81 I accelerated towards them. But I first tanked up over the chicken farms in the valley another super collector. Thermal strength was low and it took forever to get up. Thermals also went straight up with no drift, amazing to fly Woodstock with these conditions. So the third thermal I took near the Walmart and I-80. My next choice was to follow I-80. Nothing happened till I passed Edinburgh. Some local business were the next collector. The whole area worked. After another transition I got into my fifth Thermal at Mt Jackson. It was the truck parking and Sheetz that helped my out in 3 stages to get up, but slow it was. By now it was clear there was more East than West in the base wind. But depending on the height direction differed.
For the first time, I saw a thermal building up above the corn field. The corn was waving in circles orchestrated by a dust devil. Amazing to see and yes a big thermal above it. More and more corn joined the fast moving circular wave. I saw another one later on the day.
With I-81 going more south and clouds to the north I left I-81. The clouds were growing faster than I thought and I missed the path up. Now I was in full sink and my vario was like dying. Full speed I raced to the edge of the shadow loosing height like hell. The shadow moving over the fields triggers the thermals to release. Finally I got my thermal nr 6 and 7 soon after. Flying to Broadway I found nothing. Getting really low and ready to land on the High School fields I got one bump. I almost stalled the glider to stay in but it paid of I was in beginning of a new thermal nr 8, 9 and 10 followed. By now I was again +2200masl under cloudbase. The next decision I made was to keep on following the clouds to the west but it did not pay off. the area was dead, it was also getting late.
Big thanks for Matt for the retrieval.
tomceunen

Post by tomceunen »

by the way this Thursday might be another hit and maybe Pulpit?