Back in the bubble...

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

batmanh3

Back in the bubble...

Post by batmanh3 »

Saturday I arrived at Ridgely around 11:00am to great looking skys. Had decided to fly one of the Targets to get back into flying form. Highland sat in a big blue hole for most of the early afternoon. Streets were forming everywhere except for over the field. I launched around 2:00 with a pretty uneventful tow. Released towards the East end of the runway and tryed to work very small thermals. At just under a mile from the LZ I turned back towards and hit 1300 down sink. I felt like I was falling out of the sky. I probably averaged about 800 down all the way back to the field and was seriously concerned that I was going to come down short. Crossed over the powerlines at 400 and basically started my approach as I continued to sink out. Other pilots reported stronger winds aloft as well as horrible sink. Ended up with a 12 minute sled. Launched a second time around 4:00 with the goal to stay much closer to the field. Windsor dropped me in a fat thermal which I took to 5800MSL showing between 6-800 on the 15 second averager. I was drifting away from the field again and probably had another 700-1000 to cloudbase so I bailed and pointed back to the field. Pretty much dolphin flew on a cloudstreet until I was West of the field. Tried to catch the next cloud but I was sinking out pretty good and once again decided to bail back towards the field. Arrived with altitude to spare and had an uneventful landing. Ended up with just under an hour total time for the two flights and nailed both landings. It was a great day to get back in the saddle and it was great to see all the gang. Its nice to be back. See you all at the Fly-In next weekend.
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

Chris,

Nice to see you back.

We were driving down 95 S near Franconia at about 1:30 and saw a HG on an SUV going N. Thought might have been you but I guess not. Wonder who it was. Anyways, it's good to know you're back. :O)

Rance
hang_pilot

Back in the bubble...

Post by hang_pilot »

A HUGE congratulations to Chris for getting back into the air.? I bet that climb to 5800 has you ready for more.
?
A warning to ALL comers to the Fly-in this weekend:? If Chris set-ups his tent next to yours, MOVE immediately.? If you don’t know why, ask Lauren or Paul.
?
Cheers,
Daniel
?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2005 12:58 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Back in the bubble...
?
Saturday I arrived at Ridgely around 11:00am to great looking skys. Had decided to fly one of the Targets to get back into flying form. Highland sat in a big blue hole for most of the early afternoon. Streets were forming everywhere except for over the field. I launched around 2:00 with a pretty uneventful tow. Released towards the East end of the runway and tryed to work very small thermals. At just under a mile from the LZ I turned back towards and hit 1300 down sink. I felt like I was falling out of the sky. I probably averaged about 800 down all the way back to the field and was seriously concerned that I was going to come down short. Crossed over the powerlines at 400 and basically started my approach as I continued to sink out. Other pilots reported stronger winds aloft as well as horrible sink. Ended up with a 12 minute sled. Launched a second time around 4:00 with the goal to stay much closer to the field. Windsor dropped me in a fat thermal which I took to 5800MSL showing between 6-800 on the 15 second averager. I was drifting away from the field again and probably had another 700-1000 to cloudbase so I bailed and pointed back to the field. Pretty much dolphin flew on a cloudstreet until I was West of the field. Tried to catch the next cloud but I was sinking out pretty good and once again decided to bail back towards the field. Arrived with altitude to spare and had an uneventful landing. Ended up with just under an hour total time for the two flights and nailed both landings. It was a great day to get back in the saddle and it was great to see all the gang. Its nice to be back. See you all at the Fly-In next weekend.

Christopher

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
Seeing Beyond Money is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

I will be attending the Fly-In alone as to respect my fellow campers beauty-sleep ... especially Pauls.
hang_pilot

Back in the bubble...

Post by hang_pilot »

[Chris wrote] I will be attending the Fly-In alone as to respect my fellow campers beauty-sleep ... especially Pauls.

There’s a chance of you meeting someone there.? My tent advisory still stands.? ~Daniel

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
?
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

In my defense, I WASN'T the one making the noise ....
hang_pilot

Back in the bubble...

Post by hang_pilot »

True, I don’t think it was you who said, “Oh my gosh, it is SO large!”
?
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:35 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Back in the bubble...
?
In my defense, I WASN'T the one making the noise ....

Christopher

?
?
?
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
?
batmanh3

Post by batmanh3 »

Now I believe you're just hinging on pure jealousy!
brianvh

Back in the bubble...

Post by brianvh »

Alone? But chris...I even bought a gag and everything - I just thought
that maybe *incoherent sob*...

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005, batmanh3 wrote:

> I will be attending the Fly-In alone as to respect my fellow campers beauty-sleep ... especially Pauls.Christopher