Blue Sky Scooter System

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Flying Lobster

Blue Sky Scooter System

Post by Flying Lobster »

Taught a first time student yesterday on the fabulous scooter tow system that Steve and Tex built for me. In the last two hours of the class he got 7 flights at 15 to 25 ft agl for a thousand feet down the runway! Definitely the fastest and easiest way to train students to fly solo, IMO, though I augment the scooter training with foot-launching and tandems periodically. One of the best things about the scooter system is that a skilled instructor can assist the pilot in the progress of the flight by varying the pressures with a "light touch" that the lowend torque of a scooter gives them.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Scott

Post by Scott »

It's my impression that scooter towing is virtually unknown elsewhere in the US. (I say this partly because even Davis Straub had never seen it---and I figure he's done a lot of roaming around the country.)

Sort of hard to figure out why, since it is such a great training method (in addition to foot launch and tandem, of course!).

Scott
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Too bucolic?? :lol:
Great Googly-moo!
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

So Marc, I have never seen a scooter tow. Basically, how does the machine work, and look like?Is there a pulley down the launch, that runs back to your tow? Just curious, Thanks Shawn.
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Not to sound like I'm recommending one flight park over another--your best bet to see one in action is to visit with Blue Sky. You'll get the best description from the guys that actually have built several systems over the years.

But in short--its a scooter mounted on a platform with the rear wheel removed and replaced with a spool of line. The line is payed out to a pulley and comes back to the scooter--so the instructor/operator has the added benefit of being able to closely observe and control the initial launch--the most critical phase of the tow.

The only compromise is that using a lower powered system, while ideal for slow pull, fine control of trainers and paragliders, is not really powerful enough to pull bigger loads to higher altitudes. However, bigger bikes like a 250 elite function well in these applications.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

For those not "in the know", Steve has two that he uses depending on student size, altitude desired, wind conditions, etc. I agree w/marc, go out and watch it in the morning. The leisurely walk back on flat ground beats lugging a glider up a hill any day too. :)

Rance

Flying Lobster wrote: The only compromise is that using a lower powered system, while ideal for slow pull, fine control of trainers and paragliders, is not really powerful enough to pull bigger loads to higher altitudes. However, bigger bikes like a 250 elite function well in these applications.

marc
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

I'm kind of happy with the hills right now, but thanks for the info both of you. Shawn
silverwings

Post by silverwings »

Rance, think of all the good exercise you are missing not walking up the hill. Also, after carrying the glider up the hill, then the reward of doing a flight!
john middleton (202)409-2574 c
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

Yes John, I definitely could use the exercise. :) However, I typically got 12-17 flights in a matter of 2-3 hrs, I didn't miss that reward.

Rance
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

The DC area is very lucky to have a wide variety of quality instructors--ultimately the best method to teach on is the one the student feels most comfortable with. In other words, the teaching of the instructor him/herself is more important than the method used.

Like Steve, I use the ultra slow-flying Condor and faster Falcon with the scooter depending on conditions.

Maine is a very tough place to fly and learn, and often students drive from a very long way off to take lessons. Conditions are very variable here, and I've found that using the scooter increases the probability that early students will get flights. Call it instant gratification, but I've discovered over the years that getting in the air as early as possible greatly increases the probablity the student will come back. And getting that air in an easy way helps too. Being able to move the tow pulley to accomodate switching winds helps. But I suspect that if I had a wide variety of training hills available I might not have been as motivated to invest in the system.

marc
Great Googly-moo!