Daniels 5/1

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

Daniels 5/1

Post by XCanytime »

Looks good. Any interest? Bacil
Dan T

Re: Daniels 5/1

Post by Dan T »

Looks like it could be a fun day at Daniels. There will probably be several paraglider pilots there too.

Dan
Batman

Post by Batman »

I've still never flown Daniels, how is it for hang gliders? i.e. Launch / LZ Primary & any secondaries? On a further note, where is Daniels?
mikecosner

Post by mikecosner »

Yes, i would be in. I have been there but never flown. been wanting to hook up with some people who have flown it for a quick intro. Dan, it's about 35min N of Charlottesville near intersection of 29 and 33.

Mike Cosner
804- six 5 one - 3 two six three
michaelcosner at g mail dot com
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

Slot launch. Two LZs. Mountain side of road LZ (the "west" field) is a contoured RLF (has a huge gully in the middle) and is used in SW to W winds. You really don't want to fly Daniels if there is any west in it. The LZ on the other side of the road is a uphill spine that faces SSE. So with SE to S winds we usually use the LZ across the road. The site is located on Snow Mountain Road (Rt. 626) near the town of Geer, VA. off of Rt. 810. Rt. 810 intersects Rt. 33 just W of Stanardsville. You take a right off of Snow Mountain Road onto a steep gravel road called Old Mountain Road to get to launch. Bacil
Last edited by XCanytime on Sun May 02, 2010 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
MRWilkens

Post by MRWilkens »

Hey everyone, I would be up for Daniels tomorrow but wind is looking like it has lots of west, and stronger too...

Anyone still planning on going?
Mr. Matt
matthew.r.wilkens at gmail dot com
two zero two four one three eight six seven six
Batman

Post by Batman »

Saturday is 10-15 SW/SSW. I will probably look at the forecast in the morning, but if its flyable I will probably head to Ridgely. A lot depends on gust factor (if any), and if I feel like 90 degree heat on the baked Eastern Shore surface. If there is a flock of pilots heading out, I will probably be in the middle of them ...
Batman

Post by Batman »

Actually, Ridgely is calling S/SSW 5-10, high in the mid to upper 80's. Maybe Highland is the call tomorrow...
Luis

Post by Luis »

I will like to join.......any place.......
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Highland or Daniels?????

Will look at forecast on Saturday morning and flip a coin.

Matthew
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

I plan to fly Daniel's tomorrow.
Batman

Post by Batman »

Too much West in the forecast tomorrow for Daniels, at least for me. Will check forecast in the morning, but baring any major changes I'm shooting for Highland tomorrow if I can drag my ass out of bed...
carweill

Post by carweill »

I flipped the coin and it ended up sideways???

Carlos
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Weather dot com is showing SSW to S as the day progresses. Those sound like ideal Daniels conditions to me.

Call me on my cell phone after 8:30 AM if you like.
Seven Oh tres, seven seven too five uno seven nine ;-)

Dan
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

NOAA Text calls for SW 10-15 gusts to 25 in Charlottesville and SW 5-10 for Ridgely. Bay is only calling for SW 5-10.

Going to Ridgely.

Matthew
carweill

Post by carweill »

Will try Daniels this time

Carlos
mikecosner

Post by mikecosner »

what time are people going to daniels?
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

The Tuscarora Air Force :wink: showed up first at Daniels. Dan Tuckwiller, Ward Odenwald, John Dullahan, and I got to the LZs and loaded up the AWD/4WD higher clearance vehicles to navigate the rocky spine of Old Mountain Road. Blowing in nicely at launch, but the slot is in need of a serious haircut. John, Dan, and Ward did a little slot clearing before John and Dan started setting up their gliders. I dedicated myself to removing some of the taller flora while John, Dan, Carlos, Luis, and Randy Weber set up their hang gliders and Dan Tomlinson set up his paraglider to fly. It was blowing in lightly and Dan was unable to launch his paraglider. At 2:30P trigger temperature was reached and it blew strong for 10 minutes. John launched, scratched a bit, then found a nice thermal to the left of launch that got him up. He ended up with 2 hours and 1500' over. Randy was next and he got up with no problem. Dan Tuckwiller was next and he got up with no trouble as well. Carlos did the same. All the pilots got 1K'+ over. By this time it was nearing 4P, and it was dying off. Luis got up to launch but didn't since the wind had died to light. As it rained hang gliders in the west field with Ward reporting conditions on the ground(a horse was in the field across the street), Laszlo launched his paraglider for a sled. Noah, Jim, and Dan DNF their paragliders. A lot more trimming is needed in the slot, especially lower down.

Bacil
Last edited by XCanytime on Sun May 02, 2010 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Bacil did a lot of work in that slot and gave up flying to do it!

Thanks Bacil
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

So what did everyone else do while standing around and waiting for the wind as hang glider pilot Bacil cleaned the slot???

Matthew
Batman

Post by Batman »

Well I for one stayed in my pajamas until around 1:00, then opened up a bottle of wine. After the bottle of wine, I put my pajamas back on ... Suzie didn't want me in the kitchen naked any longer ....

I just couldn't get going yesterday, high cirrus cloud layer didn't excite me for Ridgely either. I was beat after this past week and I'm teaching a Sushi class today so I'm doing all my prep ... with a bottle of wine of course :mrgreen:
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Fun flight at Daniels yesterday. When we got up top John, Ward and I actually did clear for a little while but then we wanted to get set up. However Bacil wisely went to work on the right side of the slot. There are some larger saplings further down that really need to go. On launch I waited for awhile but all the cycles would only fill up part ofthe slot. I couldn't find a good clean cycle so I ended up taking a light but consistent cycle and got off fine. But I think the stuff further down the slot is messing with the airflow. Right off of launch I worked easy ridge lift right up to 1,100' over and explored the ridge. I flew into the valley and didn't find anything. Back on the ridge I could see that Luis was not launching and that Laszlo had set up. At that point the air above the ridge was still soarable but the lift was dying out quickly. We all headed out to land at pretty much the same time but worked it out. I hit a little pothole when I turned onto final that kind of messed up my approach but I still pulled off the flare. Huge thanks to Bacil for all his work in the slot (we really need a crew of us and a full day) and also thanks to Ward for the ground support. Much, much appreciated.
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Congratulations to those who flew at Daniel's and thanks to Bacil for bushwhacking. At ridgely, Matthew, Karen, Joe Gregor, Steve Kinsley, Bob (who crewed later in the day after testing the air for us), H2s Greg and Kirk flew. Matthew had FOD at 26 minutes - in Karen's S2 135! I was happy with my first aerotows since Nvember and first foot landings since January. - Hugh
carweill

Post by carweill »

Had an enjoyable day at Daniels. Warmer than expected.
Thanks to Bacil for the work on the slot but also helping everyone launch.
Carlos