Flying New Years Day?

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Dan T

Flying New Years Day?

Post by Dan T »

It looks like High Rock could work this afternoon, or maybe paragliding at Smithsburg. Anyone interested?

biwingal
Dan T
tdilisio

Re: Flying New Years Day?

Post by tdilisio »

Happy New Year!!!

I'm up for a High Rock or Pulpit outing this afternoon.
TonyD
tdilisio at yahoo dot com
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
bustedwing2

Post by bustedwing2 »

3 inches of snow in Mcconnellsburg,roads clear,ground is slippery,a relative told me Hagerstown didn't get much,so High Rock might be the better choice. RichB
markc

Post by markc »

Anyone know if the road up to Woodstock launch is open or not?

MarkC

(trying to work up my enthusiasm, given that Sat/Sun are
supposed to be way colder than today....)
carweill

Post by carweill »

Humm

I'll try to reach Dan T and see

Carlos
tdilisio

Post by tdilisio »

Getting close to go/nogo decision time...

Not sure Woodstock is a valid option today. Here in Stephens City it's at a dead calm and I haven't seen the trees out back budge this AM. Woodstock is definitely not an option for me if the road is closed...

Anyone going to go???
TonyD
tdilisio at yahoo dot com
540-664-54six-seven
H3-FL-PL-ST-AT
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

headed to woodstock
fingers crossed
new year's hope in the heart
-- ellis
carweill

Post by carweill »

Headed to Woodstock not expecting much. Winds were reported light and didn’t feel ready for paragliding there yet.

Went to the backside, planning to call Dan ahead. Got there and realize had no phone service. I took the HG harness to check conditions. Great! This trip was just worth this hike. Once at launch it look windier than expected (10-12mph), worth bringing the glider. Talked to Dan, they were on the way up. The hike with the glider took a while. I had a late start so I was trying to give enough time to hike, set-up fly and breakdown before sundown. Before I reach the top Dan showed up and gave me a very welcomed hand, at that time I felt the glider quadrupled in weight.
Ellis and Dan were not enthusiastic about PG conditions, but helped me. Anyway, finally launched and it was brain dead soarable. I stayed in the air as long as I thought it would give me time to breakdown.
Clearly an enjoyable day beyond my expectations, only possible with Ellis and Dan’s help. Thanks guys!

Carlos
mcgowantk

Post by mcgowantk »

Carlos

You are the man! Congratulations on the hike up Woodstock and successful flight. Did you land out front or over the back? I considered it, but thought it might be blown out.

Happy New Year

Tom McGowan
carweill

Post by carweill »

Thanks Tom

I landed in the bridge field. I found a little turbulence on approach but uneventful. It was more work to break down with the wind.
On the ridge there was strong but much smoother.

I'm yet to find a good forecast source for Woodstock.

Happy New Year to you, Tracy and the kids

Carlos
Dan T

Post by Dan T »

Ellis and I both enjoyed seeing Carlos launch and immediately beam out. We had made a long hike up the front side of the tower road only to find that the winds were too strong and too cross to safely launch the paragliders. Had we gotten there two hours earlier we may have ben able to fly.

In any event launching Carlos was a pretty good consolation prize and the hike was a good workout and a lot more interesting than sitting around the house. Congratulations to Carlos for for making the effort to hike up the back twice and set up and break down in the cold. Glad we could be a part of the first high flight of the year in our region.

Dan T
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Congratulations, Carlos! Only 99 more flights to go! - Hugh