Holly's Accident

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

rs54263

Holly's Accident

Post by rs54263 »

Way to go Holly! You show 'em what you're made of, and make sure they
remember the name of "Holly Korzilius, Capt., USMC"!!

~Ralph
markc

Post by markc »

Scott, please let everyone know when you think Holly
will be ready for a second, post-surgery round of
visitors. We will all be keeping our fingers crossed
that tonight is easier, and that the damn trach can go!

You are both in everyone's thoughts!

--mark
Scott

Post by Scott »

UPDATE on Holly: Friday AM

Great news! We're all seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. After having her stomach tube removed yesterday evening (which made her much more comfortable), Holly began breathing normally through her nose and mouth when they capped her tracheotomy. When I left her last night at 11pm, she was breathing comfortably and sleeping.

When I came in this morning, they had removed the tracheotomy. WOOHOO!! This might be a hospital record---even the nurses were amazed it was removed so quickly. One nurse happily said, "That's the difference when someone is in great, athletic shape. They heal SO much faster."

So now Holly is far more comfortable, able to sleep more, and is talking (albeit quietly, with a little scratch in her voice).

I'm so relieved. Having the trach removed is like an enormous weight lifted. Now all that remains is for Holly to begin consuming more liquids and pureed foods (e.g. soup, applesauce, etc.). When the doctors are convinced she can successfully nourish herself, she'll be discharged. It could well happen this weekend!

Holly is is roaring back strong, and I'm incredibly proud of her. I know it won't be long before all this is just a distant, amazing memory.

For those of you who are local, consider this the "green light" for visitors again. Holly is comfortable and strong enough now that I think visitors would be great and lift her spirits. so if you have time, please stop by. She'll definitely be spending the night again tonight and will probably be here most of the day tomorrow (Saturday).

She is on the same floor (Building 10, 5E - Surgical Ward) in room #04 (the bed beside the window).

Thanks again for all your thoughts, prayers, and support. It's been a powerful lesson in compassion and humanity from all of you, as well as the whole staff here at NNMC.

Scott
brianvh

Holly's Accident

Post by brianvh »

Captain Titanium!

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Ralph Sickinger (R2) wrote:

>
> Way to go Holly! You show 'em what you're made of, and make sure they
> remember the name of "Holly Korzilius, Capt., USMC"!!
>
> ~Ralph
>
>
>
>
>
Scott

Post by Scott »

Holly going HOME!

Just a quick update---Holly has officially been discharged from the hospital, and is on her way home! The doctors all think she's doing great on her own and is good to go!

It's been 12 days (and a few hours) since her accident...and 3 days since her 15-hour surgery. Hard to believe.

Of course, she's not back to outdoor activities yet---she is still weak, still looks a bit like a chipmunk from swelling in her face, her jaw is still wired shut, and she still has stitches...but she'll be far happier at home, a much quieter and more healing atmosphere than the hospital.

I'm sure she'd be happy to visit with any of you over the weekend at her home in Dumfries, Virginia. Just give us a call if you think you can stop by so we can plan accordingly (and give you directions if needed). She'd enjoy seeing you!

Meanwhile, we'll start making those smoothies!

Holly's home number: 703-590-4847
Scott's cell: 717-968-0274

Scott
Scott

Post by Scott »

UPDATE on Holly - Sunday AM

Holly's recovery is going well at home. Friday night we had a bit of a scare. After sleeping deeply for 3-4 hours, I heard Holly say something when I joined her in bed. She began talking incoherently. I said "Holly?" And she replied "Yes?" So she was interacting with me, but continuing to talk gibberish. If it were a one-way dialog, I'd have written it off as talking in her sleep. But the fact she was responding to my questions while still making no sense alarmed me. This went on for 4-5 minutes.

When I began asking her basic questions (e.g. "Who am I?") and getting wild answers (like "Dad.") I decided not to take any chances and called 911. (The trauma to her brain in the accident was foremost among my concerns.)

The EMTs responded quickly---within 10 minutes---and by the time they were upstairs with Holly's parents, everyone surrounding the bed, the lights on, Holly had regained her senses and seemed back to normal. We all agreed she should get checked out by a doctor, just to be safe.

I had no idea where the hospital was they were taking her, so followed the ambulance closely all the way...including through a couple red lights. I knew that wasn't a good idea, but I wasn't about to lose Holly and spend a half-hour trying to find the hospital. When we arrived, I got chewed out bigtime by the ambulance driver ("NEVER follow an ambulance!" he raged at me.) I knew he was right, and stood like a dog with its tail between its legs, and offered an apology. ("Yeah? Well it's not YOUR daughter," grumbled Holly's dad, who had come with me.)

Once inside the ER at Potomac Hospital, the doctors checked out Holly thoroughly and said she seemed fine. They saw no signs of increased cranial pressure or any other forms of neurological distress. So we drove her home, relieved she was okay...but still a bit unnerved by her session of "speaking in tongues." Apparently this wasn't unusual for someone whose been through all she has.

The rest of that night went okay and Holly slept soundly. I know she was severely sleep-deprived after 12 days in the hospital. At home, she might as well have been sleeping beneath an Egyptian tomb!

---
Though Holly's recovery is zipping along, I know we still have many difficult weeks ahead. In some ways this is the toughest part...when everyone is burned out on the whole thing...when friends and family tire of hearing about her...and when she really can't get back to doing the things she loves quite yet. It's like riding a century on bikes where you have a giant mountain climb in the first 25 miles, all up and down...then 75 miles of flats through dry, uninteresting terrain.

Holly's determined though. She's gradually catching up on sleep, and taken a couple of much-needed (and much-appreciated) showers. We all watched a mindless movie together yesterday ("National Treasure"), and after a nap, Holly worked on her laptop at the dining room table for a while, catching up on email and paying bills. It was good to see her back at her normal routines.

We're also starting our journey into the world of smoothies---dusting off the Cuisinart blender, and stocking up on a variety of fruits. Last night her mother made Holly a blueberry smoothie with soy yogurt, and this morning I got adventurous with bananas, strawberries, pureed walnuts, honey, soy protein powder, and soy milk! Holly enjoyed our inventions and drank them all down.

Holly said this morning she is feeling better overall, but is still weak. So today's goal is to get as much nourishment into her as she can comfortably consume, as well as get her outside for a short walk. We also continue to communicate mainly with a dry-erase board. Holly can talk, but it forces air out of the hole in her throat, which delays healing.

Tomorrow I face the unpleasant prospect of getting back to work. But at least I can do it from home, which helps a lot.

---
I announced to Holly last night that during her time in the hospital, she received (through me) over 130 email messages from friends wishing her well. She was amazed and gratified by all your support.

Scott
brianvh

Holly's Accident

Post by brianvh »

Scott;
if Holly's on percoset, strange periods of incoherence are not
extraordinary. A few weeks after my surgery someone told me to expect
such episodes, and the very next day I was watching TV when it dissolved
into chiming bells and whirling lights for about 20 minutes. I didn't
have anyone around to interact with, or lord knows what impression I may
have given. All it took was a slightly stronger dosage than normal.

But then, when you're in love chiming bells and whirling lights
whilst babbling incoherently are the norm anyway. You two will grow out
of it.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149
Scott

Post by Scott »

Hi Everyone:

Holly continues to recover at home. The hospital gradually seems a more distant memory. Each day gets a little bit more normal, as we slowly return to things like watching movies, puttering on our laptops together, and doing household chores.

Holly had a followup appointment with the doctors yesterday. They said she's looking good, no problems with healing. Even better, she's going back on Thursday next week to get her jaws un-wired---WOOHOO! We're both looking forward to that.

I've been gently pushing Holly to keep going more during the day (instead of sleeping), and to take small walks, go to the bookstore with me, just anything to get her moving again. I know it's a huge effort to get your body moving again after two straight weeks of lying in bed. The swelling in her face has gone down a lot, and in a few more days she'll start looking almost normal, though the worst thing now are the wires and bands holding her jaws together---they're terribly uncomfortable for her. Another 10 days and those will be gone.

Her diet has been pretty minimal, as she can't even eat mushy soups---it's got to be pure liquid. So we've been doing lots of "Boost" shakes, chicken and beef broth, cranberry juice, and fresh fruit smoothies. She's probably lost 10-15lbs, and the doctor told us to increase her daily caloric intake---more Boost shakes!

She still has a tough time with it all. Imagine living your life, then just waking up one day in the hospital, beat to hell, and not remembering how it happened (she still doesn't). I know it's been difficult for her, even though she knows most of the details of the accident. She still has what can only be described as occasional low-grade anxiety attacks, where she thinks everything is a dream, and wonders when she'll really wake up. I'm trying my best to be "real," to be her link to normal life...and I've told her that the more we can do "normal life" things, the better off she'll be. Like any accident victim, the temptation is powerful to just languish in bed, obsessing over discomfort and injuries...but I've told Holly---very forcefully---that I won't let her go there! And I'm incredibly proud of how she's hung in there and improved each day.

We're planning to go down to Blue Sky tomorrow or (more likely) Friday. I really need some airtime, and Holly says she would be up for a visit (and a change of scenery). I also think it's important to both of us to make that symbolic step of flying again (even if it's just me for now). And for the record, Holly still fully intends to fly again!

Some of you have visited Holly and we're both very grateful for your visits! They do us both a world of good---and help bring back that vital connection that Holly has with all of you. Please don't hesitate to call or visit anytime you like---you are always welcome, and visits will always help!

Thanks for all your continued love and support, and we hope to see you all soon!

Scott (on Holly's behalf!)
Scott

Post by Scott »

UPDATE on Holly: Saturday, June 18

Holly's recovery continues and she's doing better every day. Her face looks more normal again each day as the swelling continues to lessen. Unfortunately, we've been having some difficulty with weight loss and energy levels because she's been on a pure liquid diet---and I'm not talking about "anything you can suck up a straw," because she can't even use a straw. So shakes, applesauce, or anything remotely thick in consistency is a no-go. All she can consume is pure liquid (Boost drinks, juice, clear broths, etc.)

The good news is this Thursday (June 23rd) her jaw will be un-wired, and she'll be able to eat again (soft foods at first, then gradually chewable stuff).

---
After a week at Holly's house, we drove down to Richmond for a nice 2-day stay at my parents' house. We both needed the change of scenery. We went for a long walk through the tree-shaded streets in my parents' neighborhood, and visited the Virginia Museum.

On our way home yesterday, we stopped by Blue Sky flight park to see Steve Wendt and Tex. It was the first time Steve had seen Holly since the accident, so it was a somewhat emotional reunion. Holly was happy to be back at the flight park because it's seems so much like home to her.

Then last night we dropped into a theater in Fredericksburg to watch "Batman Begins." Good entertainment.

---
This morning we drove up to Shepherdstown, where we'll be for the next 3-4 days.

Seems like all I find myself doing these days is gazing up at the sky wishing I were there. Holly wants to fly again too. But we're grounded for the next couple weeks, possibly longer. I keep repeating to myself, "We have the rest of our lives to fly...we have the rest of our lives to fly..." It's still tough though.

I think I've lost weight too over the past few weeks, mainly from eating less. (I don't like chowing down on yummy food in front of Holly...so I tend to grab quick, small snacks instead.)

It sounds like we're in an awesome period for flying weather-wise, and everyone is getting their fill. That's great! We hope to be back again before the summer's over.

Scott
Holly

Thanks for everything!

Post by Holly »

First... my apologies for the long delay in communicating with everyone. I would like to thank EVERYONE for all their well wishes, all the positives vibes they sent my way, the visits, the gifts, everything. You are all wonderful.

Scott has been an absolute blessing. I loved him before the accident and his care through this situation has made me realize just how much he means to me and how deep my emotions are for him.

Scott and I went for a short hike last week and he and I (mostly he) went for a short paddle on a lake in his open canoe. My right shoulder was actually sore the next day from my meager efforts, but it felt good to be sore from physical exertion!

Last Thursday, the doctors liberated my jaws. I'd been eagerly looking forward to the removal of the wires holding my jaws shut. That morning, I didn't even drink breakfast as I had high hopes that I would be able to eat a real breakfast after my appointment. The first time I tried opening my mouth it felt really strange. I could move my jaws, just not very far. Unfortunately, they didn't take all of the metal out of my mouth. They also added rubberbands to the set up and informed me I was still not authorized to chew. :( No real breakfast for me. On the plus side, at least I could consume a greater variety of stuff. If I could get it in my mouth and swallow it without chewing, I could eat it. Allow me to say, its amazing what one can consume without chewing if one gets a little inventive :)

One of the other big things on my post appointment to-do list was to brush my teeth for the first time in weeks. I entered the first bathroom I came across in the hospital. I whipped out my toothbrush and toothpaste, put some paste on the brush and then tried to brush my teeth. Sadly, I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to get the toothbrush in my mouth! Thankfully, my jaw mobility has steadily increased. By last Friday morning, I was able to brush my teeth. What a treat! :D

Last weekend we went back down to Blue Sky so Scott could get some flying in. The gang threw a nice party for me too. It felt so good to see everyone again. Everyone was wonderful. I also got to talk with Steve about my accident and his observations. I still don't remember anything about the flight. I do remember making the (flawed) decision to tow "off-the-shoulders," but I don't remember anything after clipping on to the tow line. Actually, I don't remember much from then until I was released from the hospital on 10 June. I don't know if it was the trauma, the pain meds or the 15-hours of general anesthestic, or perhaps that I'm experiencing psychological denial, but its as though I'm missing 2-weeks of my life. I've been told that some of the memories may come back in time. I do have a few memories from that time, but even those memories have a dream-like quality about them.\ :?

Anyway...

This week, Scott and I have continued to get out and do stuff. We got out for two flat water paddles in our whitewater boats. The first outing was pretty low key and brief (only about 20-30 minutes). He was actually directing me to paddle less vigorously :) The second time out, he let me do my own thing and we paddled for about 40 minutes. I actually broke a sweat and it felt GREAT! These two outings were on the lake in my housing development. The water was sooo warm I really wanted to do some rolls in it, but Scott thought I should wait 'ti the docs gave me the thumbs up to submerge myself in somewhat funky water.

Scott and I are headed back down to the flight park for the weekend. I'll just be hangin' out socializing and doing my best imitation of a baton bunny. I also hope that Scott and I will be able to get a bicycle ride or two in. I'm really motivated to get back in to shape so that I can start doing some/most of the stuff I did before the accident.

This morning, I went in to work for the first time since the accident. It was so good to see everyone and everyone was very happy to that I was doing well. I even talked with the Base Commander. He was tickled to see how well I was doing. He's also recently suffered some pretty serious medical issues (though not due to any accidents) and could relate with a lot of what I've been going through (he had a funny in-hospital memory, or lack there of, story too). I can't wait to get back to work. Interestingly, though, the Base Commander told me NOT to make the same mistake he did by pushing myself too hard and doing too much too soon. I will pace myself and listen to my mind/body closely, but I still look forward to my life getting back to normal as soon as possible.

My apologies for rambling. My main goal was just to let you know I'm doing well and that I appreciate all that you have done for me!

Holly
Holly

Recovery

Post by Holly »

My recovery has been going really well. I'm caught up at work, brought my replacement up to speed on issues that she gets to inherit, have started working out at the gym again in the mornings before work, and this morning, I even went out for my first run since the Friday before Memorial Day. It felt good. My respiratory rate was fine, my pace was pretty sluggish (35 min to do 3.2 miles <ugh!>), but heart rate is still higher than I'd like.... averaged about 170 bpm for pretty much the whole 3.2-miles.

I can't wait to get out and fly again. Just another month or so 'til the docs bless me to take to the air. I suppose in the mean time, I can do gear research and acquisition stuff (i.e. new helment, new vario, etc) :D

Holly

-----ORIGINAL MESSAGE-------
Hi Holly,

Hope you are near full recovery now. <snip>

Joe
mcelrah

Holly's Accident

Post by mcelrah »

Don't forget the neck exercises so you can hold your head up with
that quarter-inch armored steel pot Scott is welding up for you to
wear! - Hugh

On 24 Jul 2005, at 09:41, Holly wrote:

>
> My recovery has been going really well. I'm caught up at work,
> brought my replacement up to speed on issues that she gets to
> inherit, have started working out at the gym again in the mornings
> before work, and this morning, I even went out for my first run
> since the Friday before Memorial Day. It felt good. My
> respiratory rate was fine, my pace was pretty sluggish (35 min to
> do 3.2 miles ), but heart rate is still higher than I'd like....
> averaged about 170 bpm for pretty much the whole 3.2-miles.
>
> I can't wait to get out and fly again. Just another month or so
> 'til the docs bless me to take to the air. I suppose in the mean
> time, I can do gear research and acquisition stuff (i.e. new
> helment, new vario, etc) :D
>
> Holly
>
>
> -----ORIGINAL MESSAGE-------
> Hi Holly,
>