Spark's article in USHGA

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

breezyk1d

Spark's article in USHGA

Post by breezyk1d »

Hey Sparky:

Good write up on the High Rock 30th anniversary fly-in in the rag. I especially like that picture from the 70's of someone launching off the rock! - Linda B.
Spark

Re: Spark's article in USHGA - NOT!

Post by Spark »

breezyk1d wrote:Hey Sparky:

Good write up on the High Rock 30th anniversary fly-in in the rag. I especially like that picture from the 70's of someone launching off the rock! - Linda B.
Linda,

I am glad you like it. I need to provide an important correction:

I did not write the article - Lauren Tjaden wrote it.

I submitted the article and photographs to C.J. Sturdevant (the USHGA magazine editor) identifying Lauren as the author. Evidently, C.J. did not read my message thoroughly and mistakenly assumed I was the author.

To add insult to injury, she misspelled my first name. I have informed C.J. of this fact and requested that she issue a correction in the next magazine, but have not received a response to my request.

Note that I do not have my copy of the magazine yet - I usually do not get it until late in the month.

Lauren did an excellent job, as usual, and I am ~very annoyed~ that the magazine did not credit this article to her.

According to a report received from Wayne Smith, "the unknown glider pilot in the hg mag is Steve Krichton, flying a 5.5 Falcon made by chucks glider supplies in Ohio.

There is a 7pm meeting of the MHGA tonight at Oregon ridge. The primary focus will be to plan the remaining details of the event. All are invited to attend and volunteer to assist in this effort.

Note that I have received many email messages from "High Rockers". I sincerely hope that y'all will attend the celebration and support the site.
'Spark
Matthew

HG Mag

Post by Matthew »

I have the overall impression (and I may be wrong) that there isn't any actual editing or fact checking done for articles in the USHGA mag.

Matthew
brianvh

Spark's article in USHGA

Post by brianvh »

Actually, since we are not providing free dinner anymore the meeting
business will commence at 8 pm. Doreen is working on providing food for
those who would like to pitch in a few bucks, otherwise the later meeting
time allows people to eat first. We will also have beer for $2 and soda
for $1 a can/bottle, as was the old custom.

The important thing is the High Rock party, and though sparky has done an
incredible amount of work, there is still much to be done and we need
volunteers and input. Look forward to seeing folks there!

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005, Spark wrote:

>
> There is a 7pm meeting of the MHGA tonight at Oregon ridge. The primary focus will be to plan the remaining details of the event. All are invited to attend and volunteer to assist in this effort.
>
breezyk1d

Spark's article in USHGA

Post by breezyk1d »

?
Lauren ;
?
Excellent job on the High Rockin’ article!? BooWah!

?

Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2005 7:03 AM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Spark's article in USHGA

?
breezyk1d wrote:
Hey Sparky:

Linda,

I am glad you like it. I need to provide an important correction:

I did not write the article - Lauren Tjaden wrote it.

I submitted the article and photographs to C.J. Sturdevant (the USHGA magazine editor) identifying Lauren as the author. Evidently, C.J. did not read my message thoroughly and mistakenly assumed I was the author.

To add insult to injury, she misspelled my first name. I have informed C.J. of this fact and requested that she issue a correction in the next magazine, but have not received a response to my request.

Note that I do not have my copy of the magazine yet - I usually do not get it until late in the month.

Lauren did an excellent job, as usual, and I am ~very annoyed~ that the magazine did not credit this article to her.

According to a report received from Wayne Smith, "the unknown glider pilot in the hg mag is Steve Krichton, flying a 5.5 Falcon made by chucks glider supplies in Ohio.

There is a 7pm meeting of the MHGA tonight at Oregon ridge. The primary focus will be to plan the remaining details of the event. All are invited to attend and volunteer to assist in this effort.

Note that I have received many email messages from "High Rockers". I sincerely hope that y'all will attend the celebration and support the site. <![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>

'Spark
<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>
mcelrah

Spark's article in USHGA

Post by mcelrah »

So i could write a technical article claiming that hang gliders fly
becasue they trap air warmed by the pilots body heat - and they'll buy
it?
On 2 Jun 2005, at 09:27, Matthew wrote:

> I have the overall impression (and I may be wrong) that there isn't
> any actual editing or fact checking done for articles in the USHGA
> mag.