Tim Donovan, Sad News

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Danny Brotto

Tim Donovan, Sad News

Post by Danny Brotto »

I have some sad news to report. I've received word that Tim Donovan was killed during a sailplane meet out west a couple of days ago. I don't have a lot of information yet but some of you knew him personally so I wanted to get this out for your information.

Tim was an amazing and dedicated HG pilot and a generous and humble human being. He mostly flew the New England sites but I first met Tim during HG expeditions to the Seneca Rocks sites and later at various sailplane functions. He was a good guy to be around. In a recent thread, his accomplishments flying big HG flights are being referenced as benchmarks in accomplishment.

Godspeed X-Ray Eight.

Danny Brotto
Flying Lobster

Re: Tim Donovan, Sad News

Post by Flying Lobster »

I met him once or twice--just a brief memory that yes, a good-natured very experienced pilot--used to be very active hg pilot. Here's an e-mail I got from Gary Trudeau--region 8 RD:

"Just heard from Tom Nejame that Tim Donovan was killed in a sailplane at the
Ephrata, WA nationals contest. He was flying a brand new $150K plane and other
pilots saw him pitch up and go into a spin. The sailplane continued to spin
until it broke up. No sign of recovery and he did not exit with the parachute
which leads to speculation about a possible heart attack or something similar.
He had recently sold his business and bought a new sailplane and a new SeaMax.
A terrible end for a nice guy."

marc
Great Googly-moo!
theflyingdude

Post by theflyingdude »

Tim was a great guy and a good friend. He flew hang gliders, sailplanes, and airplanes, so to call him an experienced pilot would be an understatement. He would occasionally show up at the Mountaineer Memorial Day and Labor Day Fly-Ins near Seneca Rocks, WV and I'll miss those nights hanging around the campfire and picking guitar with him. RIP, my friend!

JR
RichH

Post by RichH »

I met Tim in 1982 on a trip to NH to fly Mt. Ascutney. Tim and I hit it off and became good friends for the next 15 years. We often discussed ridge flights along the Mts of Virginia..I flew with him and actually drove for him on several of his long flights..Tim was not only one of the best pilots I ever flew with he was also just a great person..Always upbeat, Always willing to push his limits and if he missed the mark he would pick himself up and try again with a smile..I'll never forget showing up at his buisness and climbing the backstairs to his office and Tim meeting me with a smile and showing me the picutre he took recently of Plum Island beach where he landed on a flight that missed 100 miles by a matter of a mile or two from Mt. Ascutney..He was always a kind person...offering his home for me to stay overnight instead of me making the long drive back to Maine so I could fly another day and the two of us sitting on his back pourch drinking a couple of beers and grilling steaks.. I'm deeply saddened by this news. He will certainly be missed ..RH
billyvaughn

Post by billyvaughn »

Just got off the phone with a buddy of Tim's. Seems like he didn't have much time in the new wing, and was flying with water for one of the first times. He may have never spun it with ballast.
I know what Woody would say:
Shit.