A New Face for CHGPA.ORG

For topics that don't fit into any of the other forums: politics, rant-n-raves, cool web sites, anything and everything goes!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

davidtheamazing1

Re: A New Face for CHGPA.ORG

Post by davidtheamazing1 »

As a non-biwingual pilot, I hate reading the 3+hr / 3000-over stories posted by paragliders after a long drive, hopeful wait, and inevitable sled ride. :x

I do understand that separating the forums was tried for a good reason though it seems that the PG community is too small (or at least too unlikely to come here and post) to want its own forum. I do like having a place for PG people that's separate... you know in case they want to have a discussion on reverse launching or what to do when lines get tangled (if that's even possible).

How about we rename the HG forum to be (HG & PG flying topics)... and we rename the PG flight topics to be "PG korner"
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

for a good reason
eludes me

I can't stand segregation. In a community as small as ours, it's suicide. We have three groups, MHGA and CHGPA which is divided into two groups, PG's and HG's. All three groups aren't doing too well. The main reason why we are separated is ideology. It's idiotic.

I enjoy reading PG flight stories just as much as I do HG flight stories.
#1 Rogue Pilot
Spark

Post by Spark »

davidtheamazing1 wrote:As a non-biwingual pilot, I hate reading the 3+hr / 3000-over stories posted by paragliders after a long drive, hopeful wait, and inevitable sled ride. :x

I do understand that separating the forums was tried for a good reason though it seems that the PG community is too small (or at least too unlikely to come here and post) to want its own forum. I do like having a place for PG people that's separate... you know in case they want to have a discussion on reverse launching or what to do when lines get tangled (if that's even possible).

How about we rename the HG forum to be (HG & PG flying topics)... and we rename the PG flight topics to be "PG korner"
The following comment will not be popular or welcome, but I feel it should be said:

Maybe this is not widely know amongst chgpa members: Many/most of the PG-only pilots have do not post to the CHGPA forum because of negativity. I've quoted David's post as a minor example.

Changing a (perceived) culture is a much greater challenge than changing the look and feel, or functionality of a site.
'Spark
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Allen,

You are spot on about negativity on the forum driving the PG-ers away - but I don't think David's post was an example. If I may presume to interpret, I think he was saying that he was envious of PGs' ability to have great flights on very light days when he sank out in his HG. He also said that he might be bored by an abstruse technical discussion of PG-only relevance. SO...my proposal would be to have a single space for coordinating flying activities (understanding that a given weather pattern may sometimes yield divergent solutions for PG and HG) with separate threads for technical discussions.

- Hugh
Spark

Post by Spark »

David,

I'm sorry that I may have misinterpreted your post.

Perhaps my response is an actual example of the problem I've hinted at.

peace,
'Spark
davidtheamazing1

Post by davidtheamazing1 »

Anyone else in agreement with me & Hugh? Maybe we should post the question in the PG forums and see if they are on board?

Yeah not so much negativity from me, just envious of their successes :!:

Other than technical discussions, one of the other reasons why I think we should keep a PG specific forum is because it would be a place for new and visiting PG pilots to meet and greet.
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Changing a (perceived) culture is a much greater challenge than changing the look and feel, or functionality of a site.
So true.
Other than technical discussions, one of the other reasons why I think we should keep a PG specific forum is because it would be a place for new and visiting PG pilots to meet and greet.
And just why do you want to be excluded from that? You may miss the opportunity of getting to know a pilot who knows more about XC flying than yourself, or who's just an awesome all around guy. You may also learn a thing or two about PG's and decide to learn how to fly one. What's there to gain for us by segregating PG's and HG's?

Right now PG Flights Topics is a waste of space anyway. Might as well try something new. Chances are the outcome won't be any different from now, but you won't know unless you try.

I suggest we have a poll and a vote on that at the next meeting.
#1 Rogue Pilot