harness Question

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

hepcat1989

harness Question

Post by hepcat1989 »

It's 10:30 or so, sse@3 rain coming in soon, so I'm going over my equipment. I look at my harness/ carabiner, and relize what would happen if your carabiner failed! My chute, and harness are linked by the carabiner. What would be the fix to link them together? Thanks, Shawn
dbodner

harness Question

Post by dbodner »

You now realize the carabiner is a single point of failure.? That's why we fly with steel, not aluminum. ? Don't think there's ever been a steel carabiner failure vs. maybe a couple with aluminum.
On May 30, 2005, at 10:56 AM, hepcat1989 wrote:
It's 10:30 or so, sse@3 rain coming in soon, so I'm going over my equipment. I look at my harness/ carabiner, and relize what would happen if your carabiner failed! My chute, and harness are linked by the carabiner. What would be the fix to link them together? Thanks, Shawn
XCanytime

harness Question

Post by XCanytime »

Shawn,
???? You can fly with a second steel carabiner that links the chute bridle and the harness main, in case the main 'biner fails.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????? Bacil
Matthew

Biners

Post by Matthew »

Shawn,

You can either--

A. Use two caribiners

or

B. Attach your harness main to you parchute bridle with a separate steel screw locking oval ring. You can pick these up at any hardware store and they are rated for 1000s of pounds of dynamic load. If you have a biner failure, your harness is then still attached to you parachute.

Matthew
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

thanks, so if I use 2 biner's the one linking main, and bridle will be hanging lose? I mean not run to the hang strap. Shawn.
Matthew

Biner

Post by Matthew »

Shawn,

You can do it either way. You can run two biners through everything, including hooking the second biner to the hang strap. This is what Pete Schuman does and it's a back-up that will keep you attached to the glider. Or you can just hook the biner to connect the harness main and the parachute bridal. This keeps you attached to the chute in case your main biner fails.

Matthew
heaviek

harness Question

Post by heaviek »

A “massillion rapide” ?( I am spelling that wrong) can be found at a rock climbing shop or REI.? Small, out of the way, permenantly attached.? 2 carabineers can get a little complicated and that isn’t good.
?
http://www.rei.com/product/1026.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CLIMBING_TOC? there is also a nice triangular one that might fit in real nice.
?
Kev C

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 5:39 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: harness Question

?
Shawn,

You can either--

A. Use two caribiners

or

B. Attach your harness main to you parchute bridle with a separate steel screw locking oval ring. You can pick these up at any hardware store and they are rated for 1000s of pounds of dynamic load. If you have a biner failure, your harness is then still attached to you parachute.

Matthew
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Definitely get the maillon rapide link. Made in France and much better quality than the hardware or marine store ones--which are rated for thousands of pounds but come with warnings not to hang human weight from them. Wonder why?
Great Googly-moo!
mcgowantk

harness Question

Post by mcgowantk »

I understand that I am a minority of one, but I do use two biners.??I like some redundancy, even if it is a steel biner.? Although getting two unhooked is harder, I found that in a stress situation, I cannot undo one biner.? My plan is to climb out of the harness.? Anyway, most are comfortable with a single biner to hook in with.
?
Tom McGowan

Kevin <heaviek@yahoo.com> wrote:
<!-- /* The original subSilver Theme for phpBB version 2+ Created by subBlue design http://www.subBlue.com NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2 theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth. */ /* General page style. The scroll bar colours only visible in IE5.5+ */ body { background-color: #E5E5E5; scrollbar-face-color: #DEE3E7; scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFFF; scrollbar-shadow-color: #DEE3E7; scrollbar-3dlight-color: #D1D7DC; scrollbar-arrow-color: #006699; scrollbar-track-color: #EFEFEF; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #98AAB1; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11; color: #000000; } /* General font families for common tags */ font,th,td,p { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif } p, td { font-size : 11; color : #000000; } a:link,a:active,a:visited { color : #006699; } a:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } hr { height: 0px; border: solid #D1D7DC 0px; border-top-width: 1px;} h1,h2 { font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size : 22px; font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000;} /* This is the border line & background colour round the entire page */ .bodyline { background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 1px #98AAB1 solid; } /* This is the outline round the main forum tables */ .forumline { background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 2px #006699 solid; } /* Main table cell colours and backgrounds */ td.row1 { background-color: #EFEFEF; } td.row2 { background-color: #DEE3E7; } td.row3 { background-color: #D1D7DC; } /* This is for the table cell above the Topics, Post & Last posts on the index.php page By default this is the fading out gradiated silver background. However, you could replace this with a bitmap specific for each forum */ td.rowpic { background-color: #FFFFFF; background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic2.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-y; } /* Header cells - the blue and silver gradient backgrounds */ th { color: #FFA34F; font-size: 11px; font-weight : bold; background-color: #006699; height: 25px; background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic3.gif); } td.cat,td.catHead,td.catSides,td.catLeft,td.catRight,td.catBottom { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif); background-color:#D1D7DC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; height: 28px; } /* Setting additional nice inner borders for the main table cells. The names indicate which sides the border will be on. Don't worry if you don't understand this, just ignore it :-) */ td.cat,td.catHead,td.catBottom { height: 29px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } th.thHead,th.thSides,th.thTop,th.thLeft,th.thRight,th.thBottom,th.thCornerL,th.thCornerR { font-weight: bold; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; height: 28px; } td.row3Right,td.spaceRow { background-color: #D1D7DC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; } th.thHead,td.catHead { font-size: 12px; border-width: 1px 1px 0px 1px; } th.thSides,td.catSides,td.spaceRow { border-width: 0px 1px 0px 1px; } th.thRight,td.catRight,td.row3Right { border-width: 0px 1px 0px 0px; } th.thLeft,td.catLeft { border-width: 0px 0px 0px 1px; } th.thBottom,td.catBottom { border-width: 0px 1px 1px 1px; } th.thTop { border-width: 1px 0px 0px 0px; } th.thCornerL { border-width: 1px 0px 0px 1px; } th.thCornerR { border-width: 1px 1px 0px 0px; } /* The largest text used in the index page title and toptic title etc. */ .maintitle { font-weight: bold; font-size: 22px; font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000; } /* General text */ .gen { font-size : 12px; } .genmed { font-size : 11px; } .gensmall { font-size : 10px; } .gen,.genmed,.gensmall { color : #000000; } a.gen,a.genmed,a.gensmall { color: #006699; text-decoration: none; } a.gen:hover,a.genmed:hover,a.gensmall:hover { color: #DD6900; text-decoration: underline; } /* The register, login, search etc links at the top of the page */ .mainmenu { font-size : 11px; color : #000000 } a.mainmenu { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.mainmenu:hover{ text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } /* Forum category titles */ .cattitle { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px ; letter-spacing: 1px; color : #006699} a.cattitle { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.cattitle:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } /* Forum title: Text and link to the forums used in: index.php */ .forumlink { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; color : #006699; } a.forumlink { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.forumlink:hover{ text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } /* Used for the navigation text, (Page 1,2,3 etc) and the navigation bar when in a forum */ .nav { font-weight: bold; font-size: 11px; color : #000000;} a.nav { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.nav:hover { text-decoration: underline; } /* Name of poster in viewmsg.php and viewtopic.php and other places */ .name { font-size : 11px; color : #000000;} /* Location, number of posts, post date etc */ .postdetails { font-size : 10px; color : #000000; } /* The content of the posts (body of text) */ .postbody { font-size : 12px; line-height: 18px} a.postlink:link { text-decoration: none; color : #006699 } a.postlink:visited { text-decoration: none; color : #5493B4; } a.postlink:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900} /* Quote & Code blocks */ .code { font-family: Courier, 'Courier New', sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #006600; background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px } .quote { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #444444; line-height: 125%; background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px } -->
A ?massillion rapide? ?( I am spelling that wrong) can be found at a rock climbing shop or REI.? Small, out of the way, permenantly attached.? 2 carabineers can get a little complicated and that isn?t good.
?
http://www.rei.com/product/1026.htm?vcat=REI_SSHP_CLIMBING_TOC? there is also a nice triangular one that might fit in real nice.
?
Kev C

Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 5:39 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org (hg_forum@chgpa.org)
Subject: harness Question

?
Shawn,

You can either--

A. Use two caribiners

or

Matthew

mcgowantk

harness Question

Post by mcgowantk »

To clarify on my earlier post, I run both biners through both the bridle and main.
?
Tom

hepcat1989 <hepcat88@innernet.net> wrote:
<!-- /* The original subSilver Theme for phpBB version 2+ Created by subBlue design http://www.subBlue.com NOTE: These CSS definitions are stored within the main page body so that you can use the phpBB2 theme administration centre. When you have finalised your style you could cut the final CSS code and place it in an external file, deleting this section to save bandwidth. */ /* General page style. The scroll bar colours only visible in IE5.5+ */ body { background-color: #E5E5E5; scrollbar-face-color: #DEE3E7; scrollbar-highlight-color: #FFFFFF; scrollbar-shadow-color: #DEE3E7; scrollbar-3dlight-color: #D1D7DC; scrollbar-arrow-color: #006699; scrollbar-track-color: #EFEFEF; scrollbar-darkshadow-color: #98AAB1; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11; color: #000000; } /* General font families for common tags */ font,th,td,p { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif } p, td { font-size : 11; color : #000000; } a:link,a:active,a:visited { color : #006699; } a:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } hr { height: 0px; border: solid #D1D7DC 0px; border-top-width: 1px;} h1,h2 { font-family: "Trebuchet MS", Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size : 22px; font-weight : bold; text-decoration : none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000;} /* This is the border line & background colour round the entire page */ .bodyline { background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 1px #98AAB1 solid; } /* This is the outline round the main forum tables */ .forumline { background-color: #FFFFFF; border: 2px #006699 solid; } /* Main table cell colours and backgrounds */ td.row1 { background-color: #EFEFEF; } td.row2 { background-color: #DEE3E7; } td.row3 { background-color: #D1D7DC; } /* This is for the table cell above the Topics, Post & Last posts on the index.php page By default this is the fading out gradiated silver background. However, you could replace this with a bitmap specific for each forum */ td.rowpic { background-color: #FFFFFF; background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic2.jpg); background-repeat: repeat-y; } /* Header cells - the blue and silver gradient backgrounds */ th { color: #FFA34F; font-size: 11px; font-weight : bold; background-color: #006699; height: 25px; background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic3.gif); } td.cat,td.catHead,td.catSides,td.catLeft,td.catRight,td.catBottom { background-image: url(../templates/subSilver/images/cellpic1.gif); background-color:#D1D7DC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; height: 28px; } /* Setting additional nice inner borders for the main table cells. The names indicate which sides the border will be on. Don't worry if you don't understand this, just ignore it :-) */ td.cat,td.catHead,td.catBottom { height: 29px; border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } th.thHead,th.thSides,th.thTop,th.thLeft,th.thRight,th.thBottom,th.thCornerL,th.thCornerR { font-weight: bold; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; height: 28px; } td.row3Right,td.spaceRow { background-color: #D1D7DC; border: #FFFFFF; border-style: solid; } th.thHead,td.catHead { font-size: 12px; border-width: 1px 1px 0px 1px; } th.thSides,td.catSides,td.spaceRow { border-width: 0px 1px 0px 1px; } th.thRight,td.catRight,td.row3Right { border-width: 0px 1px 0px 0px; } th.thLeft,td.catLeft { border-width: 0px 0px 0px 1px; } th.thBottom,td.catBottom { border-width: 0px 1px 1px 1px; } th.thTop { border-width: 1px 0px 0px 0px; } th.thCornerL { border-width: 1px 0px 0px 1px; } th.thCornerR { border-width: 1px 1px 0px 0px; } /* The largest text used in the index page title and toptic title etc. */ .maintitle { font-weight: bold; font-size: 22px; font-family: "Trebuchet MS",Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; text-decoration: none; line-height : 120%; color : #000000; } /* General text */ .gen { font-size : 12px; } .genmed { font-size : 11px; } .gensmall { font-size : 10px; } .gen,.genmed,.gensmall { color : #000000; } a.gen,a.genmed,a.gensmall { color: #006699; text-decoration: none; } a.gen:hover,a.genmed:hover,a.gensmall:hover { color: #DD6900; text-decoration: underline; } /* The register, login, search etc links at the top of the page */ .mainmenu { font-size : 11px; color : #000000 } a.mainmenu { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.mainmenu:hover{ text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } /* Forum category titles */ .cattitle { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px ; letter-spacing: 1px; color : #006699} a.cattitle { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.cattitle:hover{ text-decoration: underline; } /* Forum title: Text and link to the forums used in: index.php */ .forumlink { font-weight: bold; font-size: 12px; color : #006699; } a.forumlink { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.forumlink:hover{ text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900; } /* Used for the navigation text, (Page 1,2,3 etc) and the navigation bar when in a forum */ .nav { font-weight: bold; font-size: 11px; color : #000000;} a.nav { text-decoration: none; color : #006699; } a.nav:hover { text-decoration: underline; } /* Name of poster in viewmsg.php and viewtopic.php and other places */ .name { font-size : 11px; color : #000000;} /* Location, number of posts, post date etc */ .postdetails { font-size : 10px; color : #000000; } /* The content of the posts (body of text) */ .postbody { font-size : 12px; line-height: 18px} a.postlink:link { text-decoration: none; color : #006699 } a.postlink:visited { text-decoration: none; color : #5493B4; } a.postlink:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #DD6900} /* Quote & Code blocks */ .code { font-family: Courier, 'Courier New', sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #006600; background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px } .quote { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; color: #444444; line-height: 125%; background-color: #FAFAFA; border: #D1D7DC; border-style: solid; border-left-width: 1px; border-top-width: 1px; border-right-width: 1px; border-bottom-width: 1px } -->
thanks, so if I use 2 biner's the one linking main, and bridle will be hanging lose? I mean not run to the hang strap. Shawn.

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Small Business - Try our new Resources site!
mchevalier

harness Question

Post by mchevalier »

hepcat1989 wrote:

You can hook a second biner from the hang strap to the chute riser.? If you didn't have that and the biner failed you would have only a few seconds to maybe a minute if you were really high to kiss your ass goodbye.????? MC