2009 'Ad-Hoc' Pulpit Fly-In : THIS WEEKEND!

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

XCanytime

2009 'Ad-Hoc' Pulpit Fly-In : THIS WEEKEND!

Post by XCanytime »

It is looking good for the Pulpit this weekend. I had been requested to look at the weather and try to predict when a good weekend to fly the Pulpit would occur in the next month for a fly-in. Well, this weekend fits the bill. It would also be fitting to have Janni do the first flight off of the new pad, conditions permitting of course. So let's try to get as many pilots together for the weekend that promises to start the beginning of the new and improved Pulpit launch! The secondary LZ is in crops, so we need to be careful about landing there, if we can land there at all. The main LZ should have some areas to land in. The conditions Saturday may be quite strong until late in the day. How many pilots can make it this weekend?

Bacil
RedBaron

Re: Pulpit weekend!

Post by RedBaron »

The ECC officially starts Sunday and as far as I can see we'd lose Proctor and Bun to it unless they don't mind flying the Pulpit a day before the comp. I don't know how many of the others on that list would attend an ad hoc Fly-In, probably not too many. I also think Dullahan wants to compete but I didn't see him on the list of pilots.
Let's do it!
#1 Rogue Pilot
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Ooops, didn't look at the Sport Class list. Carlos, Dullahan and Ashley are listed. 5 Pilots down, not so sure anymore.
#1 Rogue Pilot
markc

Post by markc »

Count me in if conditions at the Pulpit look good for this weekend!

"Ad-Hoc Fly-In"...

Or "New launch christening"...

Or both....

I'm game!

MarkC
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

PULPIT PULPIT PULPIT!!!

We're in.

Matthew
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Start beating the drums, guys. Are we having the Fly-In or not? Booze, food, camping, tin cup, who's doing what?
#1 Rogue Pilot
DanTuck

Post by DanTuck »

Man. Drive from Charlotte to Pulpit after driving to and from Hyner the weekend before?
I don't know. Saturday looks to be too strong for a Falcon until maybe the evening. Sunday looks okay.
Ah hell, who am I kidding? As long as the forecast doesn't get worse I'll be there.... Whether it's competition or christening, it should be fun.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

OK. Let's do this thing!!! Will the clubs being willing to pay (from the Pulpit fund) for a case of beer, some sodas and chips, ice, et cet for Saturday night??? Then, how about everyone bring something to share pot luck style and, perhaps, a beverage of their choice????

We still have Pulpit Mugs from the last Fly-In and Jm Palmiere books to give out.

Maybe Bacil can set an XC task for Saturday????

Matthew
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Matthew wrote:Will the clubs being willing to pay (from the Pulpit fund) for a case of beer, some sodas and chips, ice, et cet for Saturday night???
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but I have no authorization to pay anything from the Pulpit fund. I think we ought to consider this a CHGPA event that happens to take place at the Pulpit.

David Bodner
Pulpit Treasurer and wet blanket
David Bodner
carweill

Post by carweill »

I'm out Sunday. Saturday is possible.

Does the club need a commitment for the one's who will participate?
Food and beer for Saturday right? The rest will be whatever the weather brings
Let's set meal and beer value and collect a head count.
(If we want to do that, I'm willing to collect the head count)

Carlos
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

How about everybody checks off something f[*]rom the following. State what you're going to bring and add the list with stuff left over for other people to do at the bottom of your post, add anything to the list that you think needs adding:
[*] half a keg of beer
[*] large BBQ grill
[*] three bags of charcoal and matches
[*] firewood for camp fire
[*] 3 large batches of pasta or equivalent starchy food dishes
[*] 2 large batches of VEGETARIAN pasta or equivalent starchy food dishes
[*] 40 bratwursts/ hot dogs and rolls
[*] hamburgers and buns
[*] ketchup and mustard, onions, tomatoes and lettuce and whatever other condiments you need for hamburgers
[*] 10 veggie burgers and buns
[*] 5 paper roll towels and 5 large trash bags
[*] 20 2 liter sodas (mix of diet and non diet)
[*] plates and cups and plastic ware
[*] 20 helium balloons for decoration
[*] 2 bottles champagne to christen the new launch
[*] percolator, coffee and water
[*] 3 pies
[*] batch of cookies/brownies
[*] 2 bags of marshmallows

jobs to do:
[*] man the BBQ grill/s
[*] clean up afterwards (2 people)
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Half a keg of beer is way too much. 3 cases and a few bottles of wine are plenty and I will take care of that as well as soda, sparkle wine and water provided Hugh authorizes reimbursement (no point in dealing with Cragin I guess). You can leave everything liquid to me that is.
#1 Rogue Pilot
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Janni's right about the beer; we wouldn't finish a 1/4 keg (which equals 3.5 cases according to PG county math). Plus people will bring their own special stashes. Note, if folks are looking for reimbursement, that means we'll have to charge--or at least ask for cash donations. That adds a level of complexity to the planning. What do you think of the idea of us all bringing our own grillables (e.g. burgers, dogs, portobellos, etc.) and pot-luck the rest? And if everyone brings a six-pack or a bottle of wine, we'll all be too drunk to care that we have 13 bags of chips and no vegetables.

There's a propane grill and a charcoal grill already at the Pulpit. If I get permission to attend (far from a certainty), I can bring propane.
David Bodner
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I'm cool with bringing my own stuff.
#1 Rogue Pilot
carweill

Post by carweill »

I like Ellis's approach seems manageable and less complicated.

Carlos
Last edited by carweill on Thu May 28, 2009 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Not that I'm able to come, but I think you should take the gypsy camp route. Every one brings enough to take care of themselves, then trade around as you please. I think all you need to worry about is enough trash bags and the haul off. No need to organize anything else.
Brian Vant-Hull
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I agree with Brian. If everybody goes a little out of their ways we could have a very nice party.
Let's focus on the flying part. So how is this comp thing going to work? Will there be teams? Do we need radios? Or is the comp organizer the first one off the mountain again ? :D Talk to us, Bacil!
I may have a driver. Peter is a good guy but this time I'm afraid we will need to throw some money at him to put up with us for 1-2 days. Do we want/need him?
#1 Rogue Pilot
pink_albatross

Post by pink_albatross »

ookeee...
potluck
carweill

Post by carweill »

OK now I'm backtracking

The consensus for food and drinks everyone takes care of it on their own.
This includes trash.

Simple

Carlos
XCanytime

Post by XCanytime »

I will be happy if just pilots show up to fly the Pulpit. Consistently. In the future. We'll take a look at conditions Saturday to see what's feasible. A simple OTB all you can get straight line would be just fine.

Bacil
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

I can pick up beer, soda and ice as neeed from the local McBurg distributor. Cavanaugh said he can pick up charcoal for the grills. Let's start an official sign up of who will be there on Saturday for flying and party to follow. If we have enough people, I'll go ahead and pick up some burgers, dogs, veggie burgers et cet.

Karen and I are in.

Also, I'm glad that Carlos can make it there on Saturday and still do the ECC. If these ECC comp pilots are as good as billed, maybe they can all come to the Pulpit on Sunday and set a task back to Ridgely. Fly to Philly and turn right. Piece of cake! :)

Now that would be a Fly-In!!!!

Matthew
Jamescob

Re: 2009 'Ad-Hoc' Pulpit Fly-In : THIS WEEKEND!

Post by Jamescob »

Hello all slugger here ... I may bring a group of my guys and students to the pulpit flyin ... I am wavered and all but I am sure I am expired for payments to fly. Will there be a weekend fee ? ( i hope so) for my motor students/pilots as well ? ... Also if wind is not very nice to us I am willing to tow some peeps out of shippensburg or other places if we get despreate. The ring is all rebuilt and works well. All I require is the wind be steady from some direction and not switchie and not death or dishonor gusts/speed. I forgot about these fourums till I saw a e-mail from the admin. Will we ever be able to get the fourum to repost to our e-mail's like long ago ? Wonderfull that you made the slope launch less rockie hopefully it will be a upgrade we all can enjoy for years to come. Myself and anyone I bring will provide there own food and brews as they need plus extras.

Also a invite to our 1'st cook out at shippensburg airport airport ID N42 (goto > airnav.com)for directions/GPS. It is pot luck bring a dish dont worrie 30 people is normal there will be plenty options. Towing if we can pull it off with wind. See below and send e-mail to amanda if interested.

Quoting Amanda Ridgway <ridgwayrealtor@yahoo.com>:

> Good evening to all,
> Our first official big cook-out will be held June 13th. We are most likely going to be there all day and evening. There will be a mix of PPGer's, Ultra lites, Power Parachutes, etc....... Please RSVP to me by June 6th if you can . Please feel free to invite friends and family as well. Please bring a covered dish or drinks if you plan to attend. The Russ Ridgway family will provide the main dish.......I am not sure what that is yet. Judy Baer and I will discuss that at a later date. We hope to see you all there. If there is inclement weather.......this will be scheduled at a later date.
>
> Amanda J Ridgway
>
> (717)658-1657

Warm blue ones 2 all.
JRC
James CLtl-SLugger
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I'll bring charcoal and stuff, too. Remember everyone, bring whatever you want, just don't expect to get fed, smashed or reimbursed by the clubs.
#1 Rogue Pilot
hang_pilot

Post by hang_pilot »

Hi, Ltl Slugger!

I'm hoping to make it this weekend, not sure yet. Would be great to see you there!

Thanks for asking about becoming official. The club offers a Pulpit sticker for $15, also covers Bill's Hill which is great for newbies. We no longer require a waiver specific to the Pulpit as long as you and your students are current USHGPA members (we're covered by the USHGPA waiver). You can pay an officer at launch or mail it, info here: http://chgpa.org/ClubInfo/chgpa.memb_form.html .

Hope you and your friends make it and sky out! The new launch looks fantastic.

Best,
Daniel
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I've got permission to go and will bring food for me and to share (unless the sign-up-for-food thing pans out). Also, I've got propane for the grill, and a camp stove.

We should probably be prepared to bring our own dishes, utensils, etc. They'll all look different, so you'll know which one's yours.

Sunset will be later than the typical Pulpit fly-in. Not sure what that means, but I think it'll mean something.
David Bodner