Past accidents and looking forward

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Lauren Tjaden

Past accidents and looking forward

Post by Lauren Tjaden »

What is the motivation for the article recently featured in the Oz Report about Terry Spencer? Was it to help pilots? To remind them to examine their actions carefully? Or was it to assign blame?
When I read in the Oz Report -- "His (Terry's) death and that of Chad Elchin, again due to his own mistakes" -- it is hard to believe that the motivation for those words is to remind pilots to preflight carefully, because we are all ultimately responsible for the condition of our aircraft, no matter what the extenuating circumstances. To me, it sounds like blame, pure and simple. If there is a purer motivation, it is hard to find it. Maybe it was simply carelessly worded.
Regarding the loss of our friend Terry, it is not unreasonable to say that his own decisions PERHAPS played some part in his accident. Other factors may also PERHAPS have played a part.
But I would add that the only constructive reason to rehash this is to remind pilots that we all need to be personally as responsible about our flying as possible. The management of the Flytec also need to closely examine the circumstances when a serious accident occurs, but I feel they have addressed this, whether or not they did anything wrong.
I want more competitions. They can be great fun and certainly great learning experiences. The organization of the Flytec works tremendously hard to give competitors both a safe and fun time. The attention to detail was outstanding at this year's Flytec. I heard numerous seasoned competitors say that it was the best run, safest, competition they had ever attended. Certainly this year competitors were advised not to land in the launch area. As launch crew in 2005, we were also to remind pilots to stay out of this busy area, and to promise them that they would be picked up with a cart in minutes if they landed safely away. Management was greatly concerned that any mistakes that may have occurred previously not be repeated.
Accidents happen; terrible accidents that leave terrible scars. It is my belief that we need to muddle forward in the best way we know how, taking the tidbits we learn and try to apply them in a positive way.
In spite of the safety precautions I saw in place this year, another death occurred. I will not go into detail about the grief that I witnessed and shared, but I will assure you that no one took this accident lightly. Again, perhaps we can learn from this tragedy. I doubt "grab bags" will be featured at future competitions. And perhaps even the best pilots will be reminded that no matter how great their skill level, that they too are mortal and may be caught out if they push the limits. Who would not take back any mistakes or oversights that we can examine in retrospect? But this blaming stuff is a pointless and painful exercise. I fully support any positive, forward thinking lessons that may result in us all flying safer and better in the future.
Lauren Tjaden
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks Lauren for the level-headed post.

Scott