Terry Spencer

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

mcgowantk

Terry Spencer

Post by mcgowantk »

?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
<?xml:namespace prefix = u2 /><?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><?xml:namespace prefix = u4 />Davis
?
As friends of Terry Spencer, we have read your last three pieces on Terry with special interest.? In fairness to Terry?s memory, we feel compelled to correct several factual errors in your articles as well as the implication you have made with respect to the severity of Terry?s spatial disorientation and on Terry?s character generally.
?
You should know that collectively we have flown with Terry more frequently than anyone else.? First, Terry had one of the best record of safe approaches and landings of anyone I know.? In over four years of very active flying (we estimate that Terry had?over 175 tow flights and 400 mountain flights) he broke or bent a downtube only once before his accident at Quest and was not injured on that landing.? His reason for that bad landing was not due to moving his head too much and becoming disoriented, but that he was looking downward below his glasses and did not see the ground clearly enough to judge his altitude on final.? Second, from collectively watching several hundred approaches, we never saw him execute slipping turns during his approach.? To the contrary, his approaches were typically very conservative, and in our opinion, he had the most consistent safest approaches of any member of our club.? As far as we know, he was never told to stop executing spirals turns or other types of aggressive approaches.? Third, he did launch unhooked from one of our sites (not Woodstock) and was knocked unconscious ? but only for a minute.?? Not the 20 minutes that you were told.
?
Several us were at the Flytec Championship daily briefings.? While Steve Kroop may have stated that at every meet pilots are told not to land in the launch areas and near the tug landing areas, the facts of the day of Terry?s accident were quite different.? The day of Terry?s accident, two of us landed next to you, as I recall, about the same time of Terry?s accident.? The three of us landed in a lane that was used by tugs and hang glider pilots for landing and for takeoffs.? Terry attempted to land in another space that also was used by other hang glider pilots for landing, and by tugs for take-offs.? While this does not mean that someone other than Terry is responsible for what happened to him, it does go to the point that Terry was not acting differently than many other pilots that day.

Another part of your report that is very troubling and needs to be rebutted is that Terry somehow failed to honor his word by not reporting a medical condition that made him unfit to fly or interfered with his safety.? Terry is not here to defend this accusation, and we believe we should respond on his behalf.? Terry may have mentioned to several people that he had become disoriented if he moved his head too much during an approach.? However, from watching many of his takeoffs, approaches, and landings, we believe he had adequately addressed any such issue and we do not believe that his ability to safely launch, fly, or land his hang glider was compromised or that him was not fit to fly.
?
We realize that one could argue that any spatial disorientation he may have had rose to that level of impairment and could have played a role in his accident, especially with hindsight and an inability to find a definitive reason for his accident.? However, we note that neither the accident report you cited nor any one else to our knowledge had discussed this issue with a medical professional or had anything other than a casual conversation with Terry.? In our opinion, he did not have an impairment that prevented him from flying safely and Terry was fully qualified to participate in the competition safely.?
?
Further, to our knowledge no one has blamed Quest or anyone associated with the flight park for his accident.? However, we did note that safety procedures could be improved by setting aside separate landing areas for hang gliders and tugs.
?
Regarding the topic of personal responsibility, it is certainly arguable that Terry was at greater risk than other pilots, and that he knowingly decided to accept this risk in order to enjoy hang gliding.? Discussing this issue is an important safety topic, and perhaps someone will benefit from Terry?s?accident.? Many other pilots fly despite issues that may render them less fit to fly, such as not having current flying skills, poor eyesight, and susceptibility to injury, that impair their ability to fly safely.? However, in Terry?s case, we do not believe that he had an obligation to inform Quest of medical impairments.??
?
Tom McGowan

Yahoo! Mail Mobile
Take Yahoo! Mail with you! Check email on your mobile phone.
Spark

Hubris

Post by Spark »

I don't plan on putting any more coin in his tin cup, or wasting my time reading his Oz report. It will be "too late" when what goes around, has come around.

Sent : Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:04 PM
To : "' Spark" <bagpipeflyer@hotmail.com>
Subject : Re: Regarding your 'articles' concerning Terry's death

Hi 'Spark,

Too late.

The series is over.

By the way, illustrates once again how ..... is in the eye of the beholder.

Davis Straub
http://ozreport.com
Quest Air, Groveland, FL, USA

----- Original Message -----
To: <davis@davisstraub.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:32 PM
Subject: Regarding your 'articles' concerning Terry's death

Davis,

I also request that you cease this thread regarding Terry's death. You
showed much more respect for the family and Friends of Chris Muller and this obvious contrast is troubling to me.

'Spark
'Spark
Flying Lobster

my post

Post by Flying Lobster »

Here is a copy of my latest post to the OzReport forum:

Kev's response is right on and politely worded--but I don't think I can be as restrained in my response in light of Davis's eagerness to push this issue to its fullest limit.

Davis has a well-established history of posting reports which cast doubts on other pilots capabilities and judgements. Much of this I believe is due to a driving inner need to bask in his own "legend in his own mind" limelight. Davis also feels a compelling need to patronize whichever flight park he happens to be living with at the time, and thus tends to play groupie to whomever allows him to pitch his tent/traveling circus. Readers may recall Davis's glowing comments of Malcom and Wallaby while he sojourned there--but Davis has a less than glowing opinion of them now.

Another habit of Davis is to take bits and pieces of hearsay from other pilots and present them as if they add up to anything more than a hill of beans. Most irritating of all, he then argues from a position of "so-and-so said this" as the factual basis of his arguements. In other words, Davis rarely has the guts to simple say this is "what I think, based on what I have researched."

The power of media, especially the internet, lies in that bits and pieces of information can be put together in order to create spin that serves the slanted opinions of the editor. Davis is a master at this, and all the while meekly claims that he is simply serving the truth.

Well--here is the truth as to what happened on the day of Terry's accident and the kind of pilot he was.

I was on the flightline perhaps a hundred yards from where Terry impacted, and along with his other friends immediately ran over to see what happened and if he was OK. I asked all the pilots in the area of the impact what had happened, and nobody--I repeat nobody--I repeat NOBODY--saw the accident in its entirety. Joe Gregor, the accident report author and a skilled crash investigator for the NTSB--was still out on course at the time.

One pilot who was mere feet away from the accident observed that Terry had come in at a high bank angle from just behind the tree line and had seemingly failed to roll out in time. This seems to be an accurate indication of the accident sequence, but in no way gives conclusive evidence as to WHY the accident happened.

Davis then made a post on the OZ Report within hours, and that post said something to the effect "A pilot from the DC area had a serious crash today when he spiraled down into the ground. Why do pilots do that?"

I confronted Davis in his trailer the next morning--that post, as Davis is so adept at, implied that Terry was something of an inept pilot. I then asked him where he sources of information came from for him to even conjecture at that early a time. He cited Balinda "and others."

I personally tried to get witness info from Balinda right after the accident and she told me that she wasn't close enough to see things clearly as to what happened. And as for Davis claims to seeing what happened from the air, well, I don't think anyone can tell diddle from the air as to what is going on close to the ground, especially in the frenetic fishbowl that the field was at that time.

After confronting Davis, it was interesting to see that the text on the OzReport was changed and the "why do pilots do that" portion disappeared. Davis substituted the toned-down text which was included as a link in his "part 1" recent analysis. Thus, Davis claims that he is aggrieved by being attacked by Terry's friends.

This maneuver is at best deceptive and at worst an outright lie.

During the time all of this was happening, Terry was lieing in a deep comma at the hospitol in Orlando. All of Terry's friends spent long agonizing hours at his side and in the waiting room for days on end while desperately clinging to hope that he would somehow pull out. The situation was especially painful because we were given very little information and there was some difficulty in getting through to his family and getting his wife down.

So, put yourself in the position that a loved one in your family or a close friend lies bloodied hooked up to life support, and you are desperately willing them to pull out. And Terry was a strong willed fighter. And in the meatime the the spin-doctoring has already begun on the net.

So, I have to ask, what was the real purpose of opening this wound up again? Davis claims to be making an analysis based on Joe's report. But that report has been out for a while and Davis has brought nothing new to the table. NOTHING. The only thing he has done is evidenced that a pilot made a judgement error and crashed. The poor guy is DEAD--how much more of a price can a pilot pay?

The only new thing Davis has done has been to imply that Terry was somehow deceptive and irresponsible but not letting The meet organizers know about his "medical condition."

Davis doesn't know a thing about this condition other than what a string of second-hand gossip from other pilots tells him. He then goes on to say that all pilots that have vertigo should be banned from flying. Vertigo is not a permanent condtion--but a symptom one suffers as the result of something else. I know of very few pilots who do not suffer some sort of vertigo when pulling high g's in a spiral dive--pilot black-out is not uncommon in pg spiral dives, for example.

So, if Davis really expects to press this issue to limit, why not get to the heart of the matter and insist that all pilots must pass an annual physical--this is the only logical conclusion to his arguement.

Your readers may get the impression that Terry was a wreckless and irresponsible pilot by what Davis has written. The fact is, at the time of his death, Terry averaged as much, if not the most, hours annual of any pilot in the mid-Atlantic region. Many of his flights involved navigating into demanding mountain lz's and long cross country flights over demanding terrain. His launch and landing skills were matched by only a few pilots in the region.

Davis, you have succeeded in bringing much pain back to those who knew and loved Terry. Way to go, pal.

Marc Fink
Great Googly-moo!
Joe Schad

Terry

Post by Joe Schad »

Thank you Tom for you comments to Davis.

As Mark said Davis's comments make me sick. I know there is nothing we can do to change his comments. My small effort is to never be around the guy, or ever read the Oz report again. As well I doubt I will fly at Quest again. I have not been there since Terry's accident. I will be visiting Wallaby in the fall.

Joe
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I seriously dobt the folks at Quest endorse what Davis has written, though I haven't confirmed this personally.

marc
Great Googly-moo!