New Lookout Release

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Flying Lobster

New Lookout Release

Post by Flying Lobster »

Matt Tabor called me into his office yesterday to show me the new Lookout prototype release--it is a beautiful new piece which is machined and made entirely at Lookout. It features what I believe are major improvements in both the weaklink end as well as the pilot release end. The release itself is a beautiful combination of a biner-like spring-loaded gate lock and pin release which totally eliminates all the problems of spinnaker type releases. The pilot-end is a barrel/string release which velcroes on the basetube and keeps the release loop in the pilots hands at all times. A simple tug to the side (which is under some pressure to prevent inadvertent releases) and you're off. Matt says it needs some testing--but my initial take is that it's a winner and will be a step forward in safety and reliability. Matt also told me that plans are in the works for a down-sized pro-tow version but that strength issues remain to be addressed.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Yeah, it'll totally eliminate all the problems of spinnaker shackle releases (one of which killed Robin Strid in a totally predictable manner) - just like Tim Hinkel and I did years ago.

But since this release is coming out of:

**! LOOKOUT * MOUNTAIN * FLIGHT * PARK !**

instead of as the result of years of the work, testing, refinement, and documentation of a couple of nobody individual weekenders, it will be immediately embraced and worshipped by one and all.

Jim Rooney will speak of the engineering genius behind this new piece of miracle hardware with precisely the same fervor and total incompetence he also has demonstrated when pissing all over my stuff and the Plastic Links of Manufactured By Bob, Inc.

In this game it's all about who makes it versus how it actually performs on the bench and in the air.

If Carlos's inaccessible Wallaby or Lauren's inoperable bent pin barrels sent them into lockouts that would have no doubt whatsoever killed them had they discovered these problems at three hundred feet - what the fuck. What's important is that they're sold by flight parks, proclaimed to be immaculate, and used by EVERYBODY.

Cable based slap-on releases - compared to well designed built in stuff - are crap.

That's not to say that they can't be well engineered and perfectly safe nor that there's no place for them. But for a glider that gets airborne at the back end of a rope more than about ten percent of the time...

Do it right - like sailplanes. Build it in properly - it's too critical a piece of equipment.

>
Matt also told me that plans are in the works for a down-sized pro-tow version but that strength issues remain to be addressed.
<

What a waste of time.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/

It's already been maxed out and there are no strength issues: Steve's four-string, the eastern European bite releases, and my straight pin remote and standard barrels.

Nothing is EVER going to get better than the stuff you see in those photos.

I'll be interested to get my hands a copy of the new Lookout release. It sounds like a good assembly and I'm pretty sure I'll give it a thumbs up. But I can guarantee you it won't measure up anywhere near to what Hugh and I have on our gliders.
lbunner

Re: New Lookout Release

Post by lbunner »

Tad, man if you could just cut back on the vitriolic statements it might be easier for us to accept what you have to say. I find it difficult to understand your intent. I'd like to upgrade to a better release however if you truly do have one, your rhetoric tends to cloud (in my mind anyway) or distract from the issue to the point where I really don't even want to see what you have to offer.
Bun
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

>
2005/08/31
Oz Report

Near Fatality Report

It happened to me.

Larry Bunner <LBunner> writes:

I had a similar experience to Angelo's report about five years ago. I was aerotowing a Laminar on the light end of the weight range on a thermally day. Just after leaving the cart I started drifting right. I was comfortable at the time and did a minor correction that usually brought me back in line with the tug. However this time the glider drifted further to the right into a lockout at only fifty feet above the ground.

I reached for the release (too slowly) and popped off the line in a wingover. I kept the glider flying and completed the wingover with feet to spare over the ground concluding in a no step landing. After reading Angelo's report I now realize how lucky I was.

I believe I came off of the cart in a thermal, the tug was high and before I could climb up to him the thermal was gone and the line went slack. I pushed out to attempt to climb back up to the tug when I started drifting right. When the slack came out of the line it only exacerbated my attitude resulting in the lockout.

I learned a valuable lesson today just by reading the report and recapitulating an event from long ago.
<

>
AT releases
2005/03/10 21:43:53
steven_kinsley@...
hg_forum@chgpa.org

Winter boredom and the Oz report resulted in my invention of "the squid" AT shoulder release. This is a two ring (or 3 -- haven't decided which is better) where the final loop runs thru a grommet and you hold it in your teeth. Want off? Open your mouth. When you are 100 ft up and presumably out of danger you slide a barrel (the body of the squid) over the loop which crimps it at the grommet and you have a standard barrel release. I can hold on with my teeth all the way and not use the slider/keeper but gotta be sure I have fresh polident.

Tried it at Manquin and down in Fla. Seems to work fine. (flew with a standard barrel on the other side just in case) Also gets a lot of laughs. Show it to you.
<

>
brianvh

Tad's barrel release tested

2008/06/30 13:48:08

...TAD's RELEASE is SUPERIOR to the BAILEY RELEASE and that the BAILEY RELEASE is SERIOUSLY FLAWED UNDER HIGH LOADS.
<

>
RedBaron

Tad's barrel release tested

2008/06/30 15:35:44

Tad showed me the release system he installed in Hugh's glider. I was amazed at the quality and comlexity of the system. Being able to tow and release without ever having to take your hands off the base tube is wonderful and much safer.
<

Yeah Larry - I do, in fact, truly have one and truly HAVE HAD one for MANY years.

And I don't have a whole lot of truck with the "I don't want to adapt this guy's technology 'cause he's a total fucking asshole approach."

When you take that take you not only keep things more dangerous for yourself but you set an example which helps keep things dangerous for everyone else.

If I wasn't a total fucking asshole I'd just be going along with the crowd, getting by just fine, and not be going berserk when - on the rare occasion - I see someone hurt or killed 'cause he was was just going along with the crowd and getting by just fine.

Take a look at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aerotowrelease/

It's got pitchurs of my stuff, Tim's stuff, and my variation of Steve's stuff. You don't have to be a freakin' rocket scientist to interpret them.

If you really want to get compliant with what we're all SUPPOSED to be doing I'll be more than happy to help you when the weather warms back up.

And I'm WAY less of a total fucking asshole in discussions - on the wire and/or in the setup area - in which Jim Rooney is in no way involved.
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Sigh.

Tad, several of us (most recently Bun) have made this point before so I'm not sure why I'm trying to make it again. The first rule when trying to communicate with humans is:

1. You are trying to communicate with humans.

Humans don't like to be cussed at and told they're stupid. It doesn't matter how good the quality of information is you're trying to get across, if you don't learn the first rule, you can't communicate. You can't believe so few people listen to you, WE can't believe you never listen to us.

I thought I had you convinced a little while ago, though some people were telling me I was wrong and you wouldn't change.

I was wrong.
Brian Vant-Hull
CraginS

Post by CraginS »

Biran,
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955), (attributed)
see
http://tinyurl.com/6esbj9
for

http://www.quotationspage.com/search.ph ... &C=lindsly

brianvh wrote:Sigh.

Tad, several of us (most recently Bun) have made this point before so I'm not sure why I'm trying to make it again. The first rule when trying to communicate with humans is:

Humans don't like to be cussed at and told they're stupid. It doesn't matter how good the quality of information is you're trying to get across, if you don't learn the first rule, you can't communicate. You can't believe so few people listen to you, WE can't believe you never listen to us.

I thought I had you convinced a little while ago, though some people were telling me I was wrong and you wouldn't change.

I was wrong.
theflyingdude

Re:

Post by theflyingdude »

Tad Eareckson wrote:>
If I wasn't a total fucking asshole I'd just be going along with the crowd, getting by just fine, and not be going berserk when - on the rare occasion - I see someone hurt or killed 'cause he was was just going along with the crowd and getting by just fine.
At last, a point many of us can agree with, although I don't think you give yourself enough credit Tad; you'd be one of those regardless of whether you went along with the crowd or against it. In fact, I think you're being much too modest and the word "total" doesn't even come close to covering it, but rest assured, you are aiming in the right direction. :P

JR
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

I second JR's observation.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

Three authors since last post - one worth talking to...

Brian,

If you go back and read what I actually said...

I was talking to Larry and the most negative thing I expressed to him was my disapproval of his lean towards continued use of dangerous noncompliant equipment over adapting stuff that actually works when one needs it to just because the guy who's got the solutions might not be his cup of tea.

Quote me something to give weight to the charge that I cussed him or called him stupid. I, in fact, offered to help him widen his safety margin.

I'll reserve the term "stupid" for the sorta folk who have no chance of understanding of the issues but feel obliged to walk in, toss a bit of shit, and walk out. See above.

People like Cragin and JR never have nor ever will contribute ANYTHING to an advanced understanding of or improvement to the sport.

Ironic little insanity quote from Cragin - considering the negligence he contributed towards Bill Priday's death and the fact that I'm one of the very few people around here NOT doing the same things over and over again with the same shit results. I keep learning, modifying, and improving. I've got a lot of better technology up and flying and you're the beneficiary of some of it.

>
heaviek

I'm sorry if it weakens your argument but in Tog's case it is quite possibly good that his weak link kept breaking. Maybe I am not doing enough to trash dear ole "Tog" in an open forum. He was an idiot, unqualified and unfamiliar.
<

I go with Kevin here. Often times the best thing one can do for the sport is to call a spade a spade. Idiots like Cragin, JR, and Jim just help keep things dangerous. They have no place in these conversations and I don't want there to be any ambiguity about my assessments. It may take a while but they're gonna lose this war. Amongst the top of the stack thinkers around here they're dead already.

Another bit of irony...

If you follow Cragin's link the first thing that pops up is:

>
Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900)
<

P.S.

And Marc,

Do yourself a big favor and stay out of this - You are in so far over your head that you have no way of even guessing how far that is.
Tad Eareckson

Post by Tad Eareckson »

P.P.S.

Brian,

>
The first rule when trying to communicate with humans is:

<

I have absolutely no interest in communicating with people like Cragin or JR. Try to find a record of either one of them saying ANYTHING accurate and of substance relevant to these issues. They are nonentities.

>
You can't believe so few people listen to you, WE can't believe you never listen to us.
<

Lessee... "Weak link question" as of this post - an even twenty-four hundred hits. Somebody's listening.

And yeah, I'm listening to you and Larry. I'll listen to anyone who's got anything halfway legitimate to say - unlike others on this forum.
deveil

Post by deveil »

"You want the truth? You can't Handle the truth."
~ Jack Nicholson