Scooter-Tow-A-Paloosa : Oct 18th/19th

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jimrooney

Scooter-Tow-A-Paloosa : Oct 18th/19th

Post by jimrooney »

I'm hammering out the details with the USHPA to hold a sanctioned hang gliding and paragliding scooter tow clinic.
I'm looking at Friday the 17th.

The "sanctioning" will mean that the USHPA will kick in a little money ($50/pilot $100/instructor) to help offset the costs. They want six hours of time to qualify.
Total cost would be $200, offset by the USHPA would mean $150 ($100 if you're an instructor, HG or PG).

The current thoughts on time are:
1pm-7pm
4pm-7pm Fri + 7-9am Sat
Or am+pm Fri

My guess is that getting out of work early Friday and staying overnight is more convenient for people, but it's just a guess. So I'm looking for a little feedback. Whatcha think?
jimrooney

Re: Scooter-Tow-A-Paloosa

Post by jimrooney »

Some details...
The HG side will be limited to H2 due to lack of a Condor. The PG side however will only carry the restriction of USHPA membership (full, non-30 day). Basic kiting skills would definitely be of benefit however. Class size will dictate how much time we can spend on basic inflation skills. BTW, if you're keen and have no PG experience, come out a little early and we can cover that ahead of the scooter clinic.

Jim
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Why didn't I think of this one before? -> Sat Pm & Sun Am!

Jim
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

I'm interested. Friday works best for me -- I've got it on my calendar. If Saturday or Sunday involved I'd have to move some things and get some favors to make it work.
Charlie
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Ok, we've got to put a date on it so people can make plans... so I'm calling it SatPM and SunAM.
The USHPA sanctioning is going through, so the cost to you is $150 for a pilot $100 for an instructor.

Here's hoping the weather works.
This is more like training hill weather criteria btw... low clouds or fog aren't a worry and surface wind strength is all that matters. We'll be able to work with most any direction.

Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I am interested on behalf of Sallie - will check with her now - her P0 USHPA card arrived this weekend. - Hugh
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Sallie's in. - Hugh
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Glad to hear it :)
It should be a good time.
charlieg

Post by charlieg »

Just to clarify, does Sat PM + Sun AM mean that a participant would need to be there both days? That would make it more difficult I would think -- at least for me. Would prefer a one day affair if that is doable. If not, what are the overnight options. Is there camping, or local hotel? Never been there, so would appreciate guidance, and directions too.
Charlie
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Charlie,

Yes, there is abundant camping - with hot showers and WIFI! (There's a kitchen, too.) I suppose there are some motels, but the airport is such a nice place that I've never investigated. You can let your dogs and kids just run around. There's a really good restaurant in a converted house in downtown Denton that provides on-the-job training for young people.

- Hugh
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Here's a google map...
It also has some of the local information on it.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 11673&z=13

BTW, I recently found out that the "Ice cream shop" next to the pharmacy is actually a full on restaurant. They make paninis and sandwiches and whatnot.

As Hugh noted, we have camping/kitchen/showers.. and yes, screaming fast wifi.

Unfortunately an all day affair is not possible as I need to fly tandems during the day. Scooter towing doesn't work mid day anyway since you really do need smooth air. Asking people to get up before dawn to drive out here for the sunrise didn't seem like a good idea either. The best compromise I could come up with was SatPM/SunAM as we need 6 hours to qualify for USHPA sanctioning. As always, I'm happy to provide scooter training on a personal basis, however the cost is a bit different... it takes a few hours to get anything real accomplished, especially on your first time out, and at $60/hr, you're already looking at $120.

Jim
charlieg

Re: Scooter-Tow-A-Paloosa : Oct 18th/19th

Post by charlieg »

Jim:
Do you have exact (or approximate times) that we would need to be there? Still trying to make it work in the family weekend schedule.
Charlie
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Sure thing,
We're going to get started at 3pm.
carweill

Post by carweill »

Jim,
Thanks for putting this together.
I'll get a chance to some for kiting.

Carlos
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Our sanctioning was approved last night. :)

Things will get started at 3pm on Saturday and go till sunset. We'll start back up at sunrise on Sunday morning. (18th/19th)

Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Jim,

What are you thinking about the weather? Blown out Saturday for scooter tow? Sunday AM OK?

- Hugh
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Yeah, looks pretty blowy... definitely not going to get the 6 hours required for a "clinic".
Sunday am... maybe. Still looks windy so far. PG reversing launches and HG maybe. Depends how fast it ramps up. I live there, so I'm willing to try either way ;)
If I didn't live here, I think I'd be looking at the Sac or Woodstock to tell you the truth. Looks like pretty decent mountain weather.

Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Well, I am committed to getting Sallie as much training as possible before you turn into a pumpkin (when?). I think we might not bother to come out Saturday, but could rally fairly early (maybe a bit after "dawn") Sunday. Let's keep watching the weather - if there is a reasonable chance of getting some training in, we'll come on out.
- Hugh
301 864-3431 (home)
301 980-6381 (cell)
703 769-9510 (work)
carweill

Post by carweill »

I feel the same way.
I'll keep checking the weather

Carlos
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Right on guys. We'll keep an eye on the weather and fingers crossed.
I turn into a pumpkin sometime after the end of the month. I'm heading out to Sanfran sometime before Nov10th to teach some people out there. They haven't comitted to how long they'd like me out there, but I expect under a week.

Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

So, Sunday AM ain't lookin' so great either. Whaddaya think about Sunday late afternoon? - Hugh
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Unfortunately, I think it's going to blow like stink all weekend long.
Maybe thing's will change, but I'm not expecting them to.

Jim
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Rescheduled :)
This Sat/Sun 25/26.

I talked to the USHPA and they said it wouldn't be a problem to reschedule. So we're back on. Let's hope the weather works out better this time. If only part of the weather works out and we can't get all six hours in, we can still do what we can and we'll just miss out on the sanctioning. No biggie.

Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Ya, I'm seeing rainy and blustery for Saturday... - Hugh
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Isn't Fall grand ;)

Yeah, I'm not too optimistic. But we'll see.
I'm glad the USHPA will allow a reschedule with ease... good to know for the Spring.