Re[2]: Ridgely impressions...

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

rs54263

Post by rs54263 »

Sorry - wrote this last week, but mail problems prevented it from being
sent until this morning. Didn't even realize that it was still in my
out basket.

I'm not sure how to take his comment about the bridge traffic as
anything other than an attack; ("MFP is better than Ridgely because
you don't have to fight insane traffic to get there...") And
regardless of his intentions, the impression that he gave was
definitely one that implied MFP was better than Ridgely. Whether he
meant that or not, it apparently came across that way to a LOT of
people on this forum (not just me).

And yes, my comment IS a complaint about MFP. Have *you* ever tried to
push a dolly (with your glider in it) a mile down wind? It is NOT fun.
If you can do it without tearing the heck out of your hamstrings, then
you're a better man than I!

~Ralph

================================================================

Scott wasn't attempting to attack Ridgely, no matter what the impression
may have been. Are you attempting to attack Manquin? Be bucolic...
...both places are great.
Flying Lobster

launch technique

Post by Flying Lobster »

Most pilots I know generally clip into a towline and let the tug or tow platform pull them into the wind in order to get launched.

I haven't heard of anyone simply going with their glider on the dolly downwind. Sounds like a difficult way to get airborne.

marc
Great Googly-moo!
huddlec

Post by huddlec »

Hey, I once rolled my glider on a dolly from one end of Wallaby to another and had no problem with the hamstrings. Does that make me a better man than you?? ; )
Christy

"Ralph Sickinger (R2)" <r2@sickinger.net> wrote:
. Have *you* ever tried to push a dolly (with your glider in it) a mile down wind? It is NOT fun. If you can do it without tearing the heck out of your hamstrings, then
you're a better man than I!

~Ralph

Scott wasn't attempting to attack Ridgely, no matter what the impression
may have been. Are you attempting to attack Manquin? Be bucolic...
...both places are great.

Scott

Post by Scott »

Note: the following reply is made in a calm, laid-back, non-disturbed-or-angry tone of voice, with a pleasant expression.

Ralph, I'm sorry you (or anyone else interpreted my comments as an attack on Ridgely or as attempting to say "Blue Sky is better." That simply wasn't my point.

Sitting in bridge traffic is a colossal waste of time in my opinion...just as sitting in traffic on the Beltway, or on I-66, or on I-95 trying to get to Blue Sky. It's rather sad that people who live in this area have become so immune to traffic. So my comment was only about sitting in traffic, period.

If anyone thinks I was saying "Ridgely is better," consider the following:

- Blue Sky is not as well-equipped to aerotow as Ridgely. I've been disappointed that it's so difficult to find a time at Blue Sky when I can do my AT rating work (not their fault, but with more pilots and more tugs, it's easier at Ridgely)

- the traffic getting to Blue Sky can sometimes be a nightmare (as I mentioned above)

- the mosquitos at Blue Sky will eat you for dinner on summer evenings

- the XC potential (which I hope to explore someday) is not as great at Blue Sky due to closer restricted airspace (Richmond).

- there is a much stronger "culture" of XC flying at Ridgely

---
As you can plainly see (and as I originally said) neither Blue Sky nor Ridgely is "better." They both have strengths and advantages, and (as I also said originally) we're lucky to have both nearby!

As Jim Keller said, my original post was a "humorous and snark-free piece of nuanced creative writing," period. If you didn't see it that way, I can't control that!

Note: the reply above was made in a calm, laid-back, non-disturbed-or-angry tone of voice, with a pleasant expression.
Flying Lobster

Post by Flying Lobster »

Just like I thought--you must be on that mary-j-wanna stuff

marc
Great Googly-moo!
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

The bridge traffic can be a nightmare at times... There is hope though. Pilots that frequent Highland seem to learn the ways to avoid it. I can't say myself as I don't cross it, but from what I hear, it's like rush hour. Timing (on a busy day) is everything. Get there before the rush and it's a breeze. I think they have an EZpass only lane now. I hear that is a huge help unless the bridge is already a parking lot. Others, who have the time, come out Friday night and camp out. Not only is it a fun social scene, but you miss the traffic all together.

There are also some alternative escape routes to avoid 404 traffic on your way back home. It doesn't beat the bridge, but it cuts out a lot of the pre-bridge traffic.

Ask around some of the Highland regulars and I'm sure you'll find many tips and tricks for beating the bridge.
Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

We won't tell about the "secret" back routes to avoid at least some of
the bridge traffic - hee, hee! - Hugh

On 16 May 2005, at 13:24, Ralph Sickinger (R2) wrote:

>
> Sorry - wrote this last week, but mail problems prevented it from being
> sent until this morning. Didn't even realize that it was still in my
> out basket.
>
> I'm not sure how to take his comment about the bridge traffic as
> anything other than an attack; ("MFP is better than Ridgely because
> you don't have to fight insane traffic to get there...") And
> regardless of his intentions, the impression that he gave was
> definitely one that implied MFP was better than Ridgely. Whether he
> meant that or not, it apparently came across that way to a LOT of
> people on this forum (not just me).
>
> And yes, my comment IS a complaint about MFP. Have *you* ever tried to
> push a dolly (with your glider in it) a mile down wind? It is NOT fun.
> If you can do it without tearing the heck out of your hamstrings, then
> you're a better man than I!
>
> ~Ralph
>
>
> ================================================================
> from: Vant-Hull - Brian (05/16/2005 13:13)
> ================================================================
>
>
> Scott wasn't attempting to attack Ridgely, no matter what the
> impression
> may have been. Are you attempting to attack Manquin? Be bucolic...
> ...both places are great.
>
>
>
>
>
>
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

I like the "live at Ridgley and ditch work" alternative. Any more good
deals on trailers out there? - Hugh

On 16 May 2005, at 19:47, jimrooney wrote:

> The bridge traffic can be a nightmare at times... There is hope
> though. Pilots that frequent Highland seem to learn the ways to avoid
> it. I can't say myself as I don't cross it, but from what I hear, it's
> like rush hour. Timing (on a busy day) is everything. Get there before
> the rush and it's a breeze. I think they have an EZpass only lane now.
> I hear that is a huge help unless the bridge is already a parking lot.
> Others, who have the time, come out Friday night and camp out. Not
> only is it a fun social scene, but you miss the traffic all together.
>
> There are also some alternative escape routes to avoid 404 traffic on
> your way back home. It doesn't beat the bridge, but it cuts out a lot
> of the pre-bridge traffic.
>
> Ask around some of the Highland regulars and I'm sure you'll find
> many tips and tricks for beating the bridge.
> Jim
>
>
>
>
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

One secret - don't attempt to cross the bridge late saturday morning.
That's when the vast majority of people going for a week or a weekend
who thought they were gonna get an early start but always remember one
last thing finally make it across the bridge. Cross the bridge by 10 am
or earlier, set up, and hang out until it gets good. Hanging out is half the
reason for going there.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Mon, 16 May 2005, jimrooney wrote:

> The bridge traffic can be a nightmare at times... There is hope though. Pilots that frequent Highland seem to learn the ways to avoid it. I can't say myself as I don't cross it, but from what I hear, it's like rush hour. Timing (on a busy day) is everything. Get there before the rush and it's a breeze. I think they have an EZpass only lane now. I hear that is a huge help unless the bridge is already a parking lot. Others, who have the time, come out Friday night and camp out. Not only is it a fun social scene, but you miss the traffic all together.
>
Scott

Post by Scott »

I drove out to Ridgely on a Friday morning. I breezed right through the tollbooth at around 11am with zero delay. :)

Coming back (headed west), I experienced no delays, but the east-bound tollboth lanes were already backed up for half a mile. That might have just been the "get an early start on the weekend" effect, but YIKES! (So drive out before noon on a weekday.)

Scott
Matthew

Bridge Traffic

Post by Matthew »

1. Buy an easy pass.

2. Get the lowdown on the backroads and shortcuts.

3. Don't tell anyone else or put the secret backroad directions on the furom or any public newsgroup.

Matthew
Scott

Post by Scott »

...or...

4. Stash a bicycle on Kent Island.

5. Buy a sea kayak.

6. Get an extra workout!

:) :)
rancerupp

Re: Bridge Traffic

Post by rancerupp »

Ridgely regulars,

Ok, so is anyone gonna tell us the shortcuts? Please? :)
jimrooney wrote: Ask around some of the Highland regulars and I'm sure you'll find many tips and tricks for beating the bridge.
Jim

Matthew, I can't believe that posting them here would create significantly more traffic on the shortcuts. :wink:
Matthew wrote: 3. Don't tell anyone else or put the secret backroad directions on the furom or any public newsgroup.
Matthew
CraginS

Re: Bridge Traffic

Post by CraginS »

Rance and others,
The 'secret shortcuts' involve running on either of two roads that run parallel to Route 50 for the last 4 or 5 miles before you reach the west end of the Bay Bridge. However.. here's the problem:

Last year a total idiot of a young reporter for the Baltimore Sun published this great secret by-pass informaiton (told to her by her mother, who made her swear not to tell anyone) in the Sun. My gawd.. now everyone knows! But that is not the worst part. Because both of these routes were publicly exposed, the MD highway authorities posted signs along both roads specifically declaring it illegal to use them to go to the Bridge, restricting them to local traffic only.
THEN.. they sete up focused enforcement units - translation MD State Troopers, at the ramps from those to roads back on to Route 50 right at the bridge. If they catch folks running those parallel roads, especially with non-MD tags, they ticket them for failing to observe the "local traffic only" signs.
I fully expect the Troopers to celebrate Memorial Day weekend, and most weekends for at least the initial part of the summer, repeating their targeted enforcment of the no bridge traffic rules on those roads.

Therefore... You can certainly figure out the 'short cuts" by looking at a map of Annapolis area and Route 50 - but if you use those roads, you are playing Russian Roulette with a moving violaiton ticket.

Best advice - get an Easy Pass, and go early in the day.

See you in the sky!

Cragin

[quote="rancerupp"]Ridgely regulars,

[quote="jimrooney"]
Ask around some of the Highland regulars and I'm sure you'll find many tips and tricks for beating the bridge.
Jim[/quote]

Matthew, I can't believe that posting them here would create significantly more traffic on the shortcuts. :wink:

[quote="Matthew"]
3. Don't tell anyone else or put the secret backroad directions on the furom or any public newsgroup.
Matthew[/quote][/quote]
breezyk1d

Post by breezyk1d »

I find that at 5:30 in the morning (any morning) the traffic really isn’t too bad crossing the bridge in the eastern direction.
The sunrise is gorgeous too, but it’s hazardous driving across the bridge while you’re still asleep…
?
?

Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:27 PM
To: hg_forum@chgpa.org
Subject: Re[2]: Ridgely impressions...

?
Rance and others,
The 'secret shortcuts' involve running on either of two roads that run parallel to Route 50 for the last 4 or 5 miles before you reach the west end of the Bay Bridge. However.. here's the problem:

Last year a total idiot of a young reporter for the Baltimore Sun published this great secret by-pass informaiton (told to her by her mother, who made her swear not to tell anyone) in the Sun. My gawd.. now everyone knows! But that is not the worst part. Because both of these routes were publicly exposed, the MD highway authorities posted signs along both roads specifically declaring it illegal to use them to go to the Bridge, restricting them to local traffic only.
THEN.. they sete up focused enforcement units - translation MD State Troopers, at the ramps from those to roads back on to Route 50 right at the bridge. If they catch folks running those parallel roads, especially with non-MD tags, they ticket them for failing to observe the "local traffic only" signs.
I fully expect the Troopers to celebrate Memorial Day weekend, and most weekends for at least the initial part of the summer, repeating their targeted enforcment of the no bridge traffic rules on those roads.

Therefore... You can certainly figure out the 'short cuts" by looking at a map of Annapolis area and Route 50 - but if you use those roads, you are playing Russian Roulette with a moving violaiton ticket.

Best advice - get an Easy Pass, and go early in the day.

See you in the sky!

Cragin

rancerupp wrote:Ridgely regulars,

jimrooney wrote: Ask around some of the Highland regulars and I'm sure you'll find many tips and tricks for beating the bridge.
Jim

Matthew wrote: 3. Don't tell anyone else or put the secret backroad directions on the furom or any public newsgroup.
Matthew

<![if !supportLineBreakNewLine]> <![endif]>