Daniels Sunday

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

RedBaron

Daniels Sunday

Post by RedBaron »

Looking good. Who's in? I'm tempted to fly Dickey's also.
#1 Rogue Pilot
Joe Schad

Re: Daniels Sunday

Post by Joe Schad »

I am probably headed to Dickey's Sunday. Will double check in the morning.

Joe
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

I might be tempted to blow the dust off my glider for Daniel's. No permit for Dickey's. Up for carpooling.
David Bodner
stevek

Post by stevek »

Janni and I are headed to Daniels. Dave: 11:15 at Micro Center. 202 812 8305. Joe and Pete are going to try Dickey Ridge.
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Met Steve K, Janni, and Leoni at the Micro Center on Nutley south of 66. We all took my vehicle to Daniels. Carpooling works.

Joe Schad was already at Daniel's. The high cycles (12-14 mph) were swirly. He backed and Janni launched. I struggled with my harness, potatoed a while, then launched in a lull. Steve and Joe quickly followed.

It was strong in the air. I was parked most of the time, only did a couple of 360s. I pulled full vg a couple of times. I was looking at Jannie's LS and feeling good I didn't see string. Then from the other perspective I did. He had a bout 1/2 vg. Everyone else went to land long before they had to, and I came in last. I had intended to land in the secondary, but there were horses there. So, I followed Steve and Joe into the primary. Everyone landed well. Janni landed a couple of fields over. Though it wasn't the most comfortable day in the air, it was still a good day.

Dinner at the Italian place in Standardsville and the long ride home. I'm a bit sleepy now, so this probably isn't too coherent. Think good thoughts for next weekend's Pulpit fly-in.
David Bodner
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

Steve, Dave, Joe and I. That was it despite a really good forecast and lousy conditions on the premises. It was howling in by the time we were set up. Joe backed off and I were up next. Launched in a light cycle and zoomed skywards as soon as I cleared the slot. Cleared the high vegetation at the bottom by perhaps a foot. Not cool. I quickly realized launching hadn't been such a great idea. It was doing 20-25 mph and a lot of W on the ridge. I was parked at 1400' over for an hour and decided I had enough. Landed the speed in the secondary with lot's of wind, turbulence and rotor action.
#1 Rogue Pilot
billyvaughn

Post by billyvaughn »

I had trouble logging in or I could perhaps have saved you guys the trip.
Local forecast Sunday Morning showed gusts to 30, TAF for C'ville showed gusts to 22kts. A bit much, even for Daniels.
And a west cross can really stand you on your nose.
Glad everyone had basically uneventful flights, but please stay careful.
Billy Vaughn
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Billy,

I saw the Charlottesville forecast with the gust to 22 on the surface. All the other surface forecasts I saw showed 220/10g20 and the 3000ft winds were 15k at 2pm and 15 to 20 at 8pm. I never measured more than 12 mph on my wind meter at launch but did not have it out when the gust started. When Dave, Steve and I launched around 3:300-4pm it had died down considerably at launch. I am interested in what you use as a criteria for flying Daniel because it turned out a lot rougher than I thought the conditions would be. I don't fly Daniels much (probably won't again until the brush and trees are trimmed).
Joe
stevek

Post by stevek »

Hey Billy! Haven't seen you in a million years. You shoulda brought a chair and a cold beer and watched. Would have been worth the price of gas.

The PG guys (Jim K and Noah) did it right. They arrived and flew early and were on the ground by the time it got crazy.
billyvaughn

Post by billyvaughn »

Hey Guys-
Sorry I missed you. Seems like I spend a lot of time chasing kids to sporting events these days...
Joe--I probably wouldn't launch in anything over about 15, but the texture is important. Back in the day, when the Bermuda High set up, Daniels could be counted on for cocktail hour wonder wind like flights, and I remember flying in really smooth air up to 20 or so. Mid day is a different game, and I'm an old weenie now. If there's any west cross it gets nasty, and with the forecast gust differential, I wouldn't have even gone out ('cept with the lawn chair and beer). 220 is probably too west for much wind at all.
I'll see if I can roust out some locals for a trimming. Might even need to talk to Roger about some of the bigger stuff at the bottom of the slot
Cheers,
Billy
RedBaron

Post by RedBaron »

I have never witnessed Daniel's being soarable in S winds. Every time I went there winds were either strong and cross or non-existent.
#1 Rogue Pilot
Joe Schad

Post by Joe Schad »

Thanks Billy,

Joe
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Hey Guys-
Sorry I missed you. Seems like I spend a lot of time chasing kids to sporting events these days...
Joe--I probably wouldn't launch in anything over about 15, but the texture is important. Back in the day, when the Bermuda High set up, Daniels could be counted on for cocktail hour wonder wind like flights, and I remember flying in really smooth air up to 20 or so. Mid day is a different game, and I'm an old weenie now. If there's any west cross it gets nasty, and with the forecast gust differential, I wouldn't have even gone out ('cept with the lawn chair and beer). 220 is probably too west for much wind at all.
I'll see if I can roust out some locals for a trimming. Might even need to talk to Roger about some of the bigger stuff at the bottom of the slot
Cheers,
Billy

Hi Billy,

PG pilot Noah Merritt (of C-ville) has volunteered to organize a clean-up at Daniel's and CHGPA has agreed to allocate funds to hire workers to trim the trees at the bottom of the slot. Nelson Lewis has also offered advice regarding the clean-up, as has NY HG pilot Dave K., who single handedly cleared the slot a couple of years ago. The sticking point seems to be in getting in contact with Roger. If you could be of assistance in hs matter, it would be greatly appreciated. Contact me at mcgraham20@yahoo.com if you can help and I'll send you Noah's contact info.

Thanks,

Matthew