Ridgely impressions...

All things flight-related for Hang Glider and Paraglider pilots: flying plans, site info, weather, flight reports, etc. Newcomers always welcome!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

Scott

Ridgely impressions...

Post by Scott »

Drove out to Ridgely for the first time ever today. I was delivering my Falcon to Paul Gerhardt, who bought it (and lives nearby). Nice drive---once you turn onto Rt.480! (I wouldn't be caught anywhere near the bridge during traffic though---that's certifiably insane.) The town of Ridgely is nice, at least what I saw of it.

The flight park (well, I guess it's actually an airport) contrasted sharply with Blue Sky---not better or worse, just different. Aside from the obvious difference of having airplanes and sailplanes, I'd say it has a certain "sleazy charm" to it, like the glovebox of an old car. :) I could've poked around all the stuff in the hangars for hours---an interesting mix of old junk and new gear. I especially liked the "Hang Glider" pinball table---does it work?

Blue Sky is a much more bucolic setting---ideal if you just want to get away from it all as well as fly. Ridgely, on the other hand, has a bit more of that "where it's happening" feel, with all the planes and traffic (relatively speaking). Blue Sky is immaculately neat---every building freshly painted, every blade of grass perfectly mown, every carpet vacuumed, every line coiled symmetrically. Ridgely had more of an atmosphere where people couldn't be bothered with being neat 'cause they're too busy flying!

Finally, contrasts in flying styles were immediately evident when Adam towed someone aloft in a single-surface glider. When the pilot released and flew back over the runway, he promptly started doing 90-degree wingovers, spiraling the glider straight to the ground, leveling off at about 50 feet and landing. It was somewhat breathtaking for me, as Steve Wendt would NEVER allow anyone who did that at Blue Sky to fly there again! :)

I couldn't fly, of course, not yet having my AT rating. But I'm working on that, and as soon as I have it I look forward to flying at Ridgely and eventually exploring that countryside from the air!

Scott
Matthew

Ridgely

Post by Matthew »

Hi Scott,

I never noticed Ridgely as being not neat. It's always been tidy when I've been there. As to getting away from it all, you need to spend more time at Ridgely. The bike riding around Ridgely is beautiful. It's just a couple of miles from Adkins Arboretum, Tuckahoe State Park and the Tuckahoe Creek, which is a great place to kayak and see all sorts of wildlife. Ridgely is an ideal spot to get away from it all by land, be water and by air.

Matthew
PS I really like Manquin too.
Scott

Post by Scott »

I agree Matthew! Apologies (to Ridgely folks) if I conveyed "dirty" by suggesting "not neat." I was referring more to Ridgely's eclectic mix of buildings, shipping containers, hangars, brick sheds, derelict planes under tarps, etc. Blue Sky is more like a golf course green in the wilderness with a minimal, single row of RVs and quonset huts. :)

And yes, I checked out Tuckahoe Creek on the way in and out, and it definitely looks like a good paddle! FYI (in case anyone didn't know) the Pamunkey River (just a quarter-mile from Blue Sky) is another fantastic wilderness canoe float trip...it's one of the last 30-mile stretches in the state that is almost completely untouched.

Cycling around Blue Sky is great too. Actually very similar terrain to Ridgely: rural and flat!

We're lucky to have both flight parks so close by.

Scott
aerosports

Ridgely impressions...

Post by aerosports »

Scott,
Those were some interesting observations. I just wanted to let you know that it was actually me doing the wingovers. I was test flying a glider, it had a turn, and I didn't necessarily feel like wasting time by meandering down. And that spiral was actually a spin. Great way to lose altitude. I generally don't let students (not that the individual flying today was a student, he actually flies a medium/high performance glider and was just getting back into the season safely) practice aerobatics until they've accumulated a few hours.
Also, I'm sure you didn't even put any thought into it, but I do find it mildly offensive that you (who have never patronized Highland) would come out to sell your glider at my flight park. I am trying to do this solely for a living and appreciate any equipment sales I can get. That is, after all, the largest portion of what keeps us in business. Next time, please meet somewhere else to sell your equipment, or consult me on our standard commission rate.
However, if you ever want to get your aerotow rating or need a tow, come on out. You'll actually see why the Eastern Shore is such a nice place to fly.

Blue Skies,
Adam Highland Aerosports Inc.
Hang gliding lessons, solo tows, and equipment sales & services.
www.aerosports.net
heaviek

Ridgely impressions...

Post by heaviek »

Sounds like another account of ?I am better then you because??? association. Don?t take cheap shots at someone to make you feel better about yourself and expect it not to offend people.

Kev C
breezyk1d

Post by breezyk1d »

Scott;

I have partronized and trained at both flight parks. I find both of them to be well kept, well run, and well organized, and both are immensely enjoyable. They are indeed different. The two parks have different feels, circumstances, environments, and different weather. I enjoy both. I don't think the term sleazy applies to either.

Between Steve Wendt and Tex, and Sunny and Adam, I would have trouble deciding who is the strictest, most pain in the ass conservative instructor. They all want to make sure that only the safest conditions are flown in, the safest conditions are observed, and the safest standards adhered to. Why? What do they have to lose by if they don't take that approach? Only their reputations and their flight parks. Sunny was instructor of the year last year, Steve is instructor of the year this year. How lucky could I be to be able to train with and learn from both?

Does Adam fly aerobatics? I believe he does. Will he or Sunny let a student or even an independant pilot fly even mildly wildly, or in unsuitable conditions, or even mildly beyond the most conservative conditions? No - to my great chagrin and mild annoyance. And neither will Steve Wendt or Tex ( believe me, I've pushed at both parks and not been successful).

May I suggest that you if you take the time to learn to appreciate what a fantastic advantage you have in the option of having two excellent tow parks in your flying proximity, you might be pleasantly surprised?

See you in the skies! (east and south!) - Linda B.
mcelrah

Ridgely impressions...

Post by mcelrah »

"Your" flight park? Do you own the whole place? Seems to me it's a
public use airport and individuals may perform any legal transactions
they wish on the premises. That said, I agree that flight parks need
all the equipment sales revenue they can get. Having committed the
affront of buying a new glider elsewhere and then asking you to test
fly it for me (which you did without complaint), I promise to give you
my business whenever I can. I guess you could make us more aware of
the used glider brokerage part of your business... - Hugh
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Hi Scott.
Glad to see you made it out to Highland Aerosports.
Some things to bear in mind when visiting new sites/flight parks...

Almost all hang gliding is done on other peoples land, be it public use land or private land. We fly under their good graces. Some places like Steve's are lucky enough to be allowed to constuct buildings. Others like 501 in PA are "cut the grass only" sites.

Highland Aerosports is operated out of a public airport (Ridgely). That oddball collection of buildings and airplane parts is part and parcel of the airport. They are whatever the airport owner wants them to be. Take a drive around to some of the small airports anywhere in the country and I think you'll find the same thing. There's nothing they can do about the broken planes... they simply don't own them. Take a better look and you'll find that the parts that Highland operates out of are well maintained. Steve on the other hand operates out of a private field and those buildings are his own. Apples and Oranges.

Aerobatics.
I think you'll find that many hang gliding sites allow aerobatics. Some consider aero to be a useful skill for advanced pilots, some even teach it. Anyone that's flown air big enough to tumble gliders can give you that side of the argument. Others consider it an unecissary risk. It's a bit of a personal risk assessment thing though... most people consider hang gliding (or flying in general for that matter) an unecissary risk. You'll find that aero (beyond mild wingovers) is restricted to advanced pilots... some sites formally require a hang 4.

Sales.
Most will have a predefined commission setup for outside sales. A quick word with the site operators will go a long way. Sales is a very sensitive topic because there is no money in hang gliding... all sites are on a shuestring budget and are laybors of love. All of them. Equipment sales are a large portion of what keeps them running.

Jim
Scott

Post by Scott »

I understand the Internet often isn't the best medium for communication, because we lose tone of voice, facial expression, etc. So given this, which is better: to be paranoid about every word we say, being sure to sugar-coat everything because everyone WILL interpret it negatively...or (better) to give people the benefit of the doubt and avoid taking offense at the slightest hint of something?

I don't want to beat this into the ground, but I've got to point out a few things that might have been missed or ignored in my original post...

I said Ridgely "contrasted sharply with Blue Sky---not better or worse, just different." Right away, at the beginning of my post, I clearly stated that I was making no value judgements nor saying "Blue Sky is better."

I said Ridgely "has a certain 'sleazy charm' to it, like the glovebox of an old car." Obviously the word "sleazy" offended some people, but please note I used it in a phrase along with the word "charm." Sleazy may seem negative, but when conjoined with "charm" the overall phrase is positive. Haven't any of you ever liked something that was old, well-worn, or in some other way the opposite of "new and slick?" Words are nuanced in their meaning---every word isn't black or white. Clearly though, "sleazy" is a terrible word (with only one meaning) for most people, so next time I'll pick a different one.

I said "I could've poked around all the stuff in the hangars for hours---an interesting mix of old junk and new gear. I especially liked the 'Hang Glider' pinball table---does it work?" Does this sound like I hated the place? Does this sound like I was calling myself "better" than Ridgely? Does this sound like I was taking a cheap shot? If so, then go take some remedial reading courses.

I said Ridgely "has a bit more of that 'where it's happening' feel." Again, does this sound like a slam? On the contrary, that was a complimentary comment, pointing to the greater level of flying activity there. I said "Ridgely had more of an atmosphere where people couldn't be bothered with being neat 'cause they're too busy flying!" This was intended as a compliment---when everything looks perfectly manicured, it suggests not much flying is going on. That wasn't the case at Ridgely!

In my comments about flying styles, I said nothing negative about Adam doing spins. On the contrary, I said watching him was breathtaking---that was the word I used---because I'm not used to seeing that kind of flying. My comment about Steve never letting people do that is a fact---Steve is extremely conservative about this type of flying at Blue Sky. That was not a value judgement about aerobatics in any way.

Finally, I said "I look forward to flying at Ridgely and eventually exploring that countryside from the air!" Again, does this sound like someone who hated the place and won't go back?

-----
By reputation and word-of-mouth only, I know Sunny and Adam are world-class pilots and instructors. I've never doubted that. And I enjoyed my trip out there yesterday. Adam, I'm sorry if delivering my Falcon to Paul was offensive---I'd actually already sold it to him a long time ago. No money even changed hands at Ridgely---I was just dropping it off (and showing him how to set it up), that's all. With Paul being a Ridgely regular who (I assume) spends money there, I didn't think anyone would mind.

And for everyone, will you please---as a general rule of thumb on the Internet---actually take the time to really read posts on the forum? Will you please not have knee-jerk reactions, automatically assume the worst about people and their comments, and start a "feeding frenzy?" And please understand that words have many meanings and aren't always black or white.

I think if more people saw the glass as "half-full" we wouldn't get into so many flame-fests online. Any of you who know me in person know I'm not an inconsiderate jerk. I'm the same person here online! I don't take drugs or let my "schizophrenic other half" loose on the forum! :) (See that? It's called a "smiley face." It means someone is smiling---not frowning! I had one of those in my original post!)

Scott

PS - A fascinating study was recently done at the Harvard Cognitive Research Lab: 20 people were shown a movie that clearly depicted a red car getting hit by a truck in an accident. After the movie, one of two previously-coached audience members was asked what color the car was, and she replied "blue," even though it was obviously red. The second previously-coached audience member was asked the same question. He also replied "blue." Amazingly, when all the uncoached audience members were asked the same question, all but two of them said "blue." It was a clear case of people refusing to state what they saw with their own eyes because they considered the majority opinion "correct." Think about it.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Thanks for the excellent comments Jim. I admit I hadn't thought about that aspect of it (Highland being a tenant at Ridgely Airport).

Adam, again---I meant no offense by my original post. I'd be a fool to irritate (or alienate) you or anyone else at Ridgely. I love this sport and don't want to burn bridges or close doors! :)

Scott
Spark

Post by Spark »

Why not just limit your posts to useful factual inbformation rather than 'impressions' and subjective opinion.

Just a suggestion :)

Scott wrote:I understand the Internet often isn't the best medium for communication, because we lose tone of voice, facial expression, etc. So given this, which is better: to be paranoid about every word we say, being sure to sugar-coat everything because everyone WILL interpret it negatively...or (better) to give people the benefit of the doubt and avoid taking offense at the slightest hint of something?

I don't want to beat this into the ground, but I've got to point out a few things that might have been missed or ignored in my original post....
'Spark
Scott

Post by Scott »

One more positive note on Ridgely...I noticed a beautiful sculpture near the office, a depiction of a flying glider atop a graceful path. It reminded me (on a smaller scale) of the sculpture in front of the Stephen F. Udvar Hazy air and space museum.

Who did that? And could it be moved to a more isolated spot, where it would command more attention? (Not that its current location is bad!)

Scott
mcelrah

Ridgely impressions...

Post by mcelrah »

I think the word you were looking for was "funky". - Hugh
TQ

Ridgely impressions...

Post by TQ »

FWIW, I didn/t find anything in your original post to be condescending or demeaning or insulting toward anyone or anything. It was a humorously nuanced piece of snark-free creative writing.
breezyk1d

The scuplture

Post by breezyk1d »

Scott;

I believe the sculpture is a memorial to Chad Elkin, Adam's brother and one of the founders of Highland Aerosports, who passed away in an aviation accident a couple years ago.

Any other uninformed opinions you would like to toss out about the glider park or how things should be arranged there? Here's a shovel.... Linda B. No smiley.
rs54263

Ridgely impressions...

Post by rs54263 »

Scott,
2 years ago, we lost Chad Elchin at the same hang gliding comp in
Florida that just recently claimed another hang glider pilot. Chad,
along with Sunny Venesky, was one of the co-founders of Highland
Aerosports, and one heck of an instructor. He also held the world
record for consecutive loops in a hang glider, set at Ridgely, MD.
That statue was created by Dave Proctor, as a memorial to Chad, and
depicts a looping hang glider.

~Ralph

================================================================
================================================================

One more positive note on Ridgely...I noticed a beautiful sculpture
near the office, a depiction of a flying glider atop a graceful path.
It reminded me (on a smaller scale) of the sculpture in front of the
Stephen F. Udvar Hazy air and space museum. Who did that? And could it
be moved to a more isolated spot, where it would command more
attention? (Not that its current location is bad!) Scott
hepcat1989

Post by hepcat1989 »

Stop trying to dissect your post, and explain it.Go buy some tough actin tanactin to treat your athletes tongue from sticking your foot in your mouth! Shawn :twisted:
Scott

Post by Scott »

To those who are consistently (and ridiculously) MIS-interpreting my posts:

You're showing an inability to comprehend English. Either that, or for some personal reason unknown to me, you're choosing to assume the worst in anything anyone says. Why? Did any of you read my messages above?

I repeat (for the last time): I have not "insulted" Ridgely, Adam, Chad, or anyone else. (If you think I have, then you misinterpreted my post and failed to read my explanation.) I have not suggested anything negative about Dave's statue commemorating Chad. One response was sort of bizarre, as if I'd attacked the statue---HUH??? I said I thought it was beautiful, wondered who created it, and suggested that it might be even more striking if it were simply moved a few feet away from its current location (and I also said its current location was fine too). By the way, it's "Elchin," not "Elkin."

Please don't continue imagining things in my posts which simply aren't there...or risk revealing yourself as illiterate.

Scott

PS - I'm sure some of you think I should just shutup---sorry, I'm NOT backing down on this one---I'm irritated by people misinterpreting posts and making mean-spirited accusations, and continuing to make accusations even after I've said I never meant anything negative! For me to simply "shutup" would be surrendering this forum to simple-mindedness and the lowest common denominator, which I'm not about to do.

If some of you feel I've committed some terrible crime and should be banned from the Forum (or the club) for simply explaining myself in an intelligent way, then so be it. In that case, I'd happily excuse myself from the banality!

PPS - I'm not angry, just amazed at the strange readings of my posts people are coming up with---which say more about the reader than the author.

PPPS - To those who saw nothing inflammatory in my original post, thank you! You're good readers! And yes, Hugh---"funky" would have a better word! :)
XCanytime

Ridgely impressions...

Post by XCanytime »

Scott,
???? 'Nuff said. :-) :-) :-)? Now let's go flying!

???????????????????????????????????????? Bacil
rancerupp

Post by rancerupp »

Scott,

You only did two things wrong, you used the word 'sleazy' and the word 'bucolic'. It appears that you don't know your audience very well. Your opponents can's stomach your literary, and I've never even heard of the word 'bucolic'. :wink: You've been sufficiently informed about the word 'sleazy' so now you can do some more flying. :D

The last time I was out at Ridgely was at the XC training two years ago. I'd like to go back.

Rance
brianvh

Ridgely impressions...

Post by brianvh »

Rance - 'bucolic' is a GREAT word. quit complaining.

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149

On Sun, 15 May 2005, rancerupp wrote:

> Scott,
>
> You only did two things wrong, you used the word 'sleazy' and the word 'bucolic'. It appears that you don't know your audience very well. Your opponents can's stomach your literary, and I've never even heard of the word 'bucolic'. [Wink] You've been sufficiently informed about the word 'sleazy' so now you can do some more flying. :D
>
brianvh

Ridgely impressions...

Post by brianvh »

Argh...per typical email brevity that last message came out critical. Let
me elaborate - I'd be bucolic in Scott and Rance's company ANY day!

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149
Flying Lobster

I give in...

Post by Flying Lobster »

OK--since this arguement is ridiculously absurd (like most of em on this forum), I figured its time I get in on the fun.

I always thought "sleazy" meant to describe a place where loose chicks tended to hang out. In which case, wouldn't this be a desirable attribute for a flight park (especially if they were acrobatic)? Or is this just a case of Hatfields versus McCoys?

marc
Great Googly-moo!
mchevalier

Ridgely impressions...

Post by mchevalier »

I guess I will have to chime in on this one also.? I thought Scott's post was compimentary but I would have used the words "seedy charm" instead of "sleazy charm".? Salida has "seedy charm", one of the reasons I like it here.?? Next time there,? take a walk in the woods towards the fun house and check out the old planes rotting away.?

The season finally? started here, got a half hour at Villa Grove, some of the others did better with one pilot going 80 miles.???????? MC
brianvh

Ridgely impressions...

Post by brianvh »

If the sleazy chicks were acrobatic AND bucolic (not to mention a bit
alcoholic), I'm in!

Brian Vant-Hull
301-646-1149