Getting to the Zoo?

For topics that don't fit into any of the other forums: politics, rant-n-raves, cool web sites, anything and everything goes!

Moderator: CHGPA BOD

jimrooney

Getting to the Zoo?

Post by jimrooney »

Hello all.
I seek the wisdom of ya'll city folk ;)

See... I need to go to the big smoke and I'm horribly inadequate at city driving/navigation/parking/etc.
I need to get to the New Zealand Embassy, which is located near the National Zoo.

So I'm wondering if you have any advice on how to accomplish such a feat? I'm fairly sure I can get to the New Carlton metro station without much issue. Beyond that, I'm pretty clueless. Maybe it's easy to drive to the zoo? It does not look easy btw ;)... looks like it's in the heart of the beast.

Here's where I'm trying to get to:
37 Observatory Circle, NW
Washington D.C. 20008

Thanks
Jim
brianvh

Re: Getting to the Zoo?

Post by brianvh »

red line. park outside the beltway and ride in. Others can fill in the details or I'll get me to a map.
Brian Vant-Hull
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Thanks... but what's a "red line"?
Is that a subway line or a bus line?

Jim
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

JIm,

The address you gave is about 1.5 miles from the Red Line Subway (Metro) stop at the National Zoo. If you don't mind hoofing it that far, then park at the New Carrolton Metro, take the subway to Metro Center and transfer to the Red Line towards Grovesnor/Shady Grove. Get off at the Woodley Park/National Zoo stop. You can print out a map from mapquest for walking directions. You can also go to the Metro home page www.wmata.com and use the trip planner to see if there is bus service that will take you closer. It looks like there are about 4 busses that will take you right to Observatory circle.

Matthew
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

It looks like there are about 4 busses that will take you right to Observatory circle.
If Jim gets four busses in DC, he's doing better than I realized. Maybe those Kiwis are particularly friendly. However, if you're talking about buses, then you're probably right.Image

Jim could exit the Red Line at the DuPont Circle station (instead of the zoo) and walk up Massachusetts Ave about a mile to Observatory Circle. Hang a left and start looking for the embassy. It should be hard to get lost, and it's a pleasant walk.

I would agree that driving there is not recommended for amateurs.
David Bodner
brianvh

Post by brianvh »

Is new carrolton reachable from 50 or do you have to take 495? Somebody should clarify.

Don't attempt to drive in DC unless you have most of the day ahead of you. It's broken many a good man.
Brian Vant-Hull
dbodner

Post by dbodner »

Yeah, New Carollton is on 50, just inside the Beltway.
David Bodner
jimrooney

Post by jimrooney »

Thanks for all the info guys :)
It makes sense now.
Yup, not bothered by a little hike... I'll be heading in on the red line.

Cheers
Jim
mcelrah

Post by mcelrah »

Bah! I'm a 'Merican and I drive everywhere I go. Take the Beltway to Wisconsin Avenue and beat your way on in. I turned the wheels off a couple rental cars in new Zealand once - 1200 miles in ten days. - Hugh